Winter Window Woes Blinded by the Light!

Of oncoming traffic.  I can't get the film off my windshield!  Tried all kinds of window cleaner, microfiber and paper towel, even massive amounts of water.  The film gets diluted but never goes away.  It seems like I just think about vaping in the car and the film starts condensing on the windshield.  My rear windshield looks like someone smeared Vaseline on it.  

I use Witch Hazel, straight, undiluted. I put it in a spray bottle and use it like window cleaner. The first couple of times I had to do it twice to get all the film off, now I do it about 1x a week to keep it clear.

I know @Earthling789  uses something commercially made. Hopefully he'll jump on here before long.

19 minutes ago, VapeMama said:

I use Witch Hazel, straight, undiluted. I put it in a spray bottle and use it like window cleaner. The first couple of times I had to do it twice to get all the film off, now I do it about 1x a week to keep it clear.

I know @Earthling789  uses something commercially made. Hopefully he'll jump on here before long.

Thank you!  I'm willing to try most anything.  This is getting very annoying.  

Another thing I want to try is plain old cotton rags.  I have been using microfiber but they are polyester and I wonder if that is part of the smearing instead of removing the stuff.  

12 minutes ago, Tam said:

I just use regular Windex and Bounty paper towels or news paper... which reminds me... I should clean my windshield tomorrow.  :relaxed:

Lol, Sorry, didn't mean to start a work-a-thon.  I'm now wondering if I have weird airflow or something in the car.  Seems like its hazed over just after a few puffs.  I'll keep trying different things.  It just bugs me.  

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Lol, Sorry, didn't mean to start a work-a-thon.  I'm now wondering if I have weird airflow or something in the car.  Seems like its hazed over just after a few puffs.  I'll keep trying different things.  It just bugs me.  

I use my vent and keep the fan on all the time. Mostly, it's on low to medium-low and one is always pointed at my slightly open window to help the vapor find its way out. Just a left over habit from when I smoked in the car. 

2 minutes ago, Tam said:

I use my vent and keep the fan on all the time. Mostly, it's on low to medium-low and one is always pointed at my slightly open window to help the vapor find its way out. Just a left over habit from when I smoked in the car. 

Real good thinkin.  I'll play with that too.  Right now it seems like the vapor wants to go under the dashboard.  I wondering if the crazy thing is recycling the air?  I have it set to outside air though.  

46 minutes ago, FXRich said:

If you turn the defroster on it will keep most of the vapor off the windshield, even in the summer I do that when the AC is on, hot or cold air blowing across the windshield helps a lot.

That's the other thing I do too. I run the defroster at all times to keep the vape off the windshield. The only exception is if the windows are all open.

• 2 weeks later...

just to add my 2 cents:

• 24oz spray bottle
  • 12oz distilled water
  • 10oz 90% rubbing alcohol
  • 2oz dish soap
  • microfiber towel or paper towels

Add the water, and rubbing alcohol to the bottle, lightly shake.  Add the dish soap, turn upside down a few times to mix.  Only spray on the towel, and only on the side that you didn't touch.

I found those instructions on how to remove film on the windshield, and this guy used it on his corvette when cleaning it normally.  He used vinyl gloves as well, but I am lazy and figured this was already enough work.  I found it worked REALLY well on taking off the vapor film, too.  :)  It doesn't work long-term, though, because it doesn't have anything to keep the vapor from sticking.  

2 hours ago, jwill27 said:

just to add my 2 cents:

• 24oz spray bottle
  • 12oz distilled water
  • 10oz 90% rubbing alcohol
  • 2oz dish soap
  • microfiber towel or paper towels

Add the water, and rubbing alcohol to the bottle, lightly shake.  Add the dish soap, turn upside down a few times to mix.  Only spray on the towel, and only on the side that you didn't touch.

I found those instructions on how to remove film on the windshield, and this guy used it on his corvette when cleaning it normally.  He used vinyl gloves as well, but I am lazy and figured this was already enough work.  I found it worked REALLY well on taking off the vapor film, too.  :)  It doesn't work long-term, though, because it doesn't have anything to keep the vapor from sticking.  

I'm definitely giving this brew a shot.  Something has to completely dissolve this stuff.  

5 minutes ago, Tam said:

Are you still having issues with this, @Walt?

Yup, still got smudging and streaking.  Not to the point of being hazardous though.  I think I'm just going to do a lot of scrubbing this winter.  

if I neglect my windows too long, I use a mix of Dawn and water with microfiber cloth, then finish with windex and paper towels.

it's tougher in the winter with Windows rolled up all the time but defroster running helps mostly.