Let's talk coils...

mattythornton

Righteo- been wrapping my own coils for a while now- played around with some claptons, fused, parallels tigers etc. Anywho, I splashed out on some quality premade alien coils and straight up kinda underwhelmed. Think I get better flavour out of my own fused claptons (admit I cheat and use geekvape ss pre-claptoned but still).

Anyone else's thoughts on alien vs Clapton or fav coils for flav?

I've tried a few more exotic coils and like yourself been underwhelmed.  Could be just me.  I don't look for a huge amount of fog.  I concentrate more on flavor.  The other thing that becomes cumbersome for me is the sheer girth of some of the builds in conjunction with the small resistances they yield.   For awhile now I stock 30, 28, 26, 24, and 36 gauge simple wire in Stainless and Kanthal.  I either use simple wire or 2 wire parallel wraped in 36 and get results that I am very pleased with.  All depends on how much space I have and how much resistance I want.  I also vape everything from tight MTL to wide open two coil buckets.  I build for everything from mech mods to a four battery car jumper.  With just these few wires I can cover everything nicely.  

• 1 month later...

I went a little crazy on August 8. I purchased at least 500' of most even gauges of kanthal SS nicrome. I have played with a lot of coils. I find a fused spaced Clapton or tiger wire works. Like Walt I have micro coils to 3.5 monster. I love the challenge of building staggered fused Clapton's. I follow some of the great builders like Aries jj ohm Boy Josh. Squido and yetisuncle.
It don't get old.

And love steam-engine.org

36 minutes ago, leadpipe58 said:

I went a little crazy on August 8. I purchased at least 500' of most even gauges of kanthal SS nicrome

I really think that is the way to go.  It's so nice to have the wire on hand.  Never know what challenges are going to come up.  I'm always getting an urge to try something different with an atty.  Every atty has it's "sweet spot" for a build.