Need help choosing an atty.

Walt

Hey folks,  I'm finding myself in foreign territory.  I picked up a Beyond Vape Spire.  Cute little unit.  18350 & 18650 compatible with VV and VW.  Twenty bucks for a hundred twenty unit.  Picture below.  Problem is it wants a 1.5 ohm coil or better.  I don't have any 22mm atties that I can cram enough wire into to get that kind of resistance.  I see that a Kanger Subtank Mini and an Aspire Nautilus 2 do have coils in that range.  Are either of these tanks any good?  Any better ideas?  Appreciate the help as always!!!

Spire.jpg

I have and still use KPT2 tanks when I don't want to fog the room up, but the airflow doesn't come close to the airflow of the subtank mini. The thing about the Subtank mini or the Toptank mini is it comes with a RBA, if you use 30g kanthal its easy to make a 1.5 or above coil.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

I have and still use KPT2 tanks when I don't want to fog the room up, but the airflow doesn't come close to the airflow of the subtank mini. The thing about the Subtank mini or the Toptank mini is it comes with a RBA, if you use 30g kanthal its easy to make a 1.5 or above coil.

I'm gonna keep building for awhile before I attempt winding 30g.  I feel like I'm walking on egg shells with 28g trying not to deform it during mounting and wicking.  I found a Triton at a real nice price and have it on order along with some coils.  Maybe this will pan out, maybe not.  Maybe I have a very nice looking conversation piece, lol. 

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

When KPT 2 and 3 were popular, they came out with a variable airflow bottom that you could buy to help out. Basically, it turned the KPT into an Aerotank.  :) 

1 minute ago, Walt said:

I'm gonna keep building for awhile before I attempt winding 30g.  I feel like I'm walking on egg shells with 28g trying not to deform it during mounting and wicking.  I found a Triton at a real nice price and have it on order along with some coils.  Maybe this will pan out, maybe not.  Maybe I have a very nice looking conversation piece, lol. 

Hopefully, you found a Triton V2 and not the first version. I wound up giving the first one to @Earthling789 because I couldn't get it to work right. The second version fixed the problem so well that I stocked up on them for when they were no longer available (I might've gotten a little carried away as I now have 15 but have four going in rotation).  :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Tam said:

Hopefully, you found a Triton V2 and not the first version. I wound up giving the first one to @Earthling789 because I couldn't get it to work right. The second version fixed the problem so well that I stocked up on them for when they were no longer available (I might've gotten a little carried away as I now have 15 but have four going in rotation).  :lol: 

OMG!  I am seriously laughing out loud right now.  The queen of back-ups bares her soul.  Fifteen?!  That just might be overkill, lol.  Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you, I hope the draw is just a little looser than the Nautilus?  That thing was like sucking on a smashed straw.   Oh and edit.  Yes it is a Triton II.  Glad to hear I made a good choice.  Fifteen....  I don't even have fifteen pairs of underwear, lol. 

Edited by Walt

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

OMG!  I am seriously laughing out loud right now.  The queen of back-ups bares her soul.  Fifteen?!  That just might be overkill, lol.  Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you, I hope the draw is just a little looser than the Nautilus?  That thing was like sucking on a smashed straw. 

With the airflow wide open it's much looser than a Nautilus, imo. Just a little tight for direct lung but plenty loose for a MTL device. I usually have it set at 3/4 open and that works for me.  :)

1 minute ago, Tam said:

With the airflow wide open it's much looser than a Nautilus, imo. Just a little tight for direct lung but plenty loose for a MTL device. I usually have it set at 3/4 open and that works for me.  :)

Perfect!  I am getting excited now.  I think I am going to enjoy this.  I love the draw on the Templar and IMO it is just a little restrictive to be DL. 

58 minutes ago, Walt said:

I currently use 32g kanthal to rebuild KPT coils, only get 4 wraps for a 1.8 coil, they heat up real fast.

1 hour ago, Tam said:

When KPT 2 and 3 were popular, they came out with a variable airflow bottom that you could buy to help out. Basically, it turned the KPT into an Aerotank.  :) 

I have the adjustable airflow on the KPT2 tanks that I have, even have a couple extra for the tanks that are still in the box that I have stashed away.

8 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I currently use 32g kanthal to rebuild KPT coils, only get 4 wraps for a 1.8 coil, they heat up real fast.

Holy crap!  I'll bet.