Needle mixers

cany

I have been toying with the idea of converting a old BBQ rotisserie to a mixer, if I use a plastic bottle I might even put a few SS ball bearings in the bottle to help with the mixing. But than it might be a hassle to get the ball bearings out.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

I have been toying with the idea of converting a old BBQ rotisserie to a mixer, if I use a plastic bottle I might even put a few SS ball bearings in the bottle to help with the mixing. But than it might be a hassle to get the ball bearings out.

Just use one of those magnet pens.  They're cheep.  Any hardware. 

3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Can you speed it up?

Just now, FXRich said:

SS is non magnetic, but I think I might have some steel ball bearings

Ya, I was thinking steel.  I would love to see a picture if you do this. 

Just now, Walt said:

Ya, I was thinking steel.  I would love to see a picture if you do this. 

I'll be sure to post a pic after I build one, I already have a magnetic tool to retrieve dropped bolts.

I might be able to speed it up, depends on the gearing.

I'll be sure to post a pic after I build one, I already have a magnetic tool to retrieve dropped bolts.

I might be able to speed it up, depends on the gearing.

I know my rotisserie is slow seems it would take a long time.  an old sewing machine motor with a  dial speed switch might work better Like a light dimmer switch

Actually I could just build a adapter to fit in one of my lathes, I can turn them down to at least 50 rpm, one will go up to 6000 rpm (little too fast for mixing). But a 5 hp motor uses a lot of electricity.

Actually I could just build a adapter to fit in one of my lathes, I can turn them down to at least 50 rpm, one will go up to 6000 rpm (little too fast for mixing). But a 5 hp motor uses a lot of electricity.

Mix in 5 gal jugs.  I did see one rig that was a modified paint shaker. 

2 minutes ago, FXRich said:

LOL I thought about using my lathe at work or my high speed balancer for mixing gonna be tough grabbing a 50ml plastic bottle in a 16" chuck 

Just now, Walt said:

Mix in 5 gal jugs.  I did see one rig that was a modified paint shaker. 

I do have a 6 cubic foot vibratory tumbler for deburring machined parts, basically it a oversized reloading tumbler, I have used it to mix juice in plastic bottles before when I was running parts and it seemed to work pretty good.

Just now, FXRich said:

I do have a 6 cubic foot vibratory tumbler for deburring machined parts, basically it a oversized reloading tumbler, I have used it to mix juice in plastic bottles before when I was running parts and it seemed to work pretty good.

That is amazing!  Love it!

Just now, cany said:

LOL I thought about using my lathe at work or my high speed balancer for mixing gonna be tough grabbing a 50ml plastic bottle in a 16" chuck 

I have 3 lathes the manual lathe has a 14 inch chuck, one of the CNC lathes uses 16C collets the other one uses 5C collets. Been trying to figure out what to make for the vape industry, but with the new regs I'm finished before I start.

5 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I have 3 lathes the manual lathe has a 14 inch chuck, one of the CNC lathes uses 16C collets the other one uses 5C collets. Been trying to figure out what to make for the vape industry, but with the new regs I'm finished before I start.

Nice I have 2 lathes both too big for small stuff but I do have a 6' chuck I can put in the big chucks I just dont like doing that it scares me especially at high speeds lol

26 minutes ago, cany said:

Nice I have 2 lathes both too big for small stuff but I do have a 6' chuck I can put in the big chucks I just dont like doing that it scares me especially at high speeds lol

The 16C collets will take up to 1 5/8 material, and the 5C collets will take up to 1 inch material, big enough for what I do, besides I'm suppose to be retired if the machinery wasn't paid for I'd probably sell it, but since its paid for I keep working 2 - 3 days a week, keep myself busy.

Edited by FXRich

I'm with @Tam... I can't wait to see what you come up with... :) 

Coming from a Chemistry background, I've always found a magnetic stirrer to be more than adequate for mixing and even aerating... I've got a couple of them now, and suggested a really good one for @Walt, which he apparently is getting good use out of it, lol... 

The paint shaker idea is a really good one for large batches (like a quart or gallon)... The vape store I use to go to years ago use to mix custom bottles for people, and they had a miniature shaker version which had clamps to hold different sized bottles... it shook a bottle up and down about 12-15" in rapid motion (like a sewing-machine-needle-arm) for about 2 minutes, and did an amazing job at mixing.  I think it was the same apparatus used by pharmacies to rapid-mix liquid meds that require water added... like Amoxicillin? 

43 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

and suggested a really good one for @Walt, which he apparently is getting good use out of it, lol... 

You bet!  Haven't bought any commercial juice for quite some time now.  That little jewel does the job well.