I'll be glad when eclipse is over

We went to town today it was the worse traffic I have ever seen, even worse than LA traffic. Not going anywhere until Tuesday or Wednesday, going to hibernate until then. I heard that motel rooms in town are going for $500 - $1000 per night. 

Central Oregon is supposed to be the best place to view the eclipse, but it sure messes with the locals. If I would have had a little foresight I could have advertised tent space for $100 for the weekend, can fit a lot of tents on 5 acres.

I haven't heard much about it here in NE Ohio, other than on the local news that it's happening. Just the "be careful and don't look at the sun" kind of things. We aren't in the "prime" area to see it.

Sorry to hear it's being such a pain to you locals, I can totally sympathize on a smaller level. In our town we have the State Fair happening in just a week or so. There will be no hotel rooms available within 200 miles of us for 11 days. Traffic will be terrible, the restaurants over flowing, and the town will be turned upside down and shaken for the duration. You know... the eclipse isn't happening until Monday. If you put some signs out I bet you could still get some campers on your property... you know... those last minute people who didn't have the foresight to book ahead? Might be worth a shot. Good luck until Tuesday!

14 minutes ago, Tam said:

Sorry to hear it's being such a pain to you locals, I can totally sympathize on a smaller level. In our town we have the State Fair happening in just a week or so. There will be no hotel rooms available within 200 miles of us for 11 days. Traffic will be terrible, the restaurants over flowing, and the town will be turned upside down and shaken for the duration. You know... the eclipse isn't happening until Monday. If you put some signs out I bet you could still get some campers on your property... you know... those last minute people who didn't have the foresight to book ahead? Might be worth a shot. Good luck until Tuesday!

I lived in Pueblo for a little over a year while doing some work at the Army depot just south of town, actually I lived in Colorado City which is closer to the depot, and I remember the crowds at the fair.

After thinking about it I don't think I would like people camping on my property, and leaving a big mess behind for me to clean up.

8 hours ago, Christopher said:

Sounds like a nightmare. I've been hearing about it, but haven't paid much attention. I don't believe it's visible to us down in Southern Cali. 

I think we will see 60% coverage in SoCal

24 minutes ago, FXRich said:

CORRECTION  The depot is east of town, not south, and Colo City is farther from the depot, but was a much nicer place to live.

LOL! I was trying to figure out the directions you gave in your first comment that didn't add up but figured it was just not enough coffee this morning. The SO grew up in Colorado City. He has two brothers who live there and one in Rye. I used to work at the depot once upon a time. It was a very interesting commute when you crunched on the tarantula crossing or ran over rattle snakes on that road.  :lol:

23 minutes ago, Tam said:

LOL! I was trying to figure out the directions you gave in your first comment that didn't add up but figured it was just not enough coffee this morning. The SO grew up in Colorado City. He has two brothers who live there and one in Rye. I used to work at the depot once upon a time. It was a very interesting commute when you crunched on the tarantula crossing or ran over rattle snakes on that road.  :lol:

That was back in the early 80s, long time ago. GF at the time worked at the place that made the cop lights. I sometimes hung out at a place on the south end of Pueblo called the silver saddle or something like that. Hard to remember back that far.

Had to sometimes wear special high topped boots when working at the depot because of the rattlesnakes, I remember all the antelope too, place was full of them.

8 minutes ago, FXRich said:

That was back in the early 80s, long time ago. GF at the time worked at the place that made the cop lights. I sometimes hung out at a place on the south end of Pueblo called the silver saddle or something like that. Hard to remember back that far.

Had to sometimes wear special high topped boots when working at the depot because of the rattlesnakes, I remember all the antelope too, place was full of them.

Oh, I remember the Silver Saddle well. I was playing bass in a country band and the rest of the group were trying to "country-fy" me by making me hang out at country western bars. It's now some kind of family pizza place.  :( 

Where I am in KY, we'll see 95-96% eclipse coverage... some of the towns south and west of me are nightmares already.  People are driving down from as far north as Michigan and Ohio into the area for a better view... I have friends within the 100% area near Lake Barkley, and they said there are cars in town from as far away as Oklahoma and Michigan.

I'll be viewing the eclipse from the comfort of my front porch :)  95-96% is good enough for me, lol

1 hour ago, Earthling789 said:

Where I am in KY, we'll see 95-96% eclipse coverage... some of the towns south and west of me are nightmares already.  People are driving down from as far north as Michigan and Ohio into the area for a better view... I have friends within the 100% area near Lake Barkley, and they said there are cars in town from as far away as Oklahoma and Michigan.

I'll be viewing the eclipse from the comfort of my front porch :)  95-96% is good enough for me, lol

I'm suppose to be in the 100% area or close to it, depending on how accurate their forecasts are. Don't need eclipse glasses, got a old welding helmet with a #10 lens to see it with. I would use a new welding helmet but it is a electronic helmet and not sure how well it will work.

7 hours ago, FXRich said:

I'm suppose to be in the 100% area or close to it, depending on how accurate their forecasts are. Don't need eclipse glasses, got a old welding helmet with a #10 lens to see it with. I would use a new welding helmet but it is a electronic helmet and not sure how well it will work.

It is recommended that you use a #12 or higher.  #10 is not enough protection.  #JustSayin

6 hours ago, Mark said:

It is recommended that you use a #12 or higher.  #10 is not enough protection.  #JustSayin

Actually I took the lens out of the helmet, and taped it over the lens of a camera, so I will be viewing it through the camera which will offer a little more protection.

At this point I don't think I can find a protective lens for the camera, My electronic helmet has a # 12 lens, but don't know if it will trigger during a eclipse.

The camera I'm using is a wireless web cam that I thought I would never use when I won it in a contest. All I need now is a remote control tripod which isn't going to happen.

My idea to use a welding helmet lens over the camera lens didn't work very well, but the sun did cause my electronic helmet to trigger so I was able to see the eclipse just fine, but no pics. I can always download pics from the net, but don't feel a need to.

DSC00294.thumb.JPG.7e30724242433902af469d21c8be392c.JPG

Edited by FXRich

7 minutes ago, Tam said:

Now, all we have to do is wait another 28 years for the next one. That should give everyone plenty of time to get ready...  :lol: 

Lol, If I see that one I will be a cyborg or something.  My OEM parts are showing significant wear. 

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Lol, If I see that one I will be a cyborg or something.  My OEM parts are showing significant wear. 

Yeah, while it's within the realm of possibility, if I live to see that one, I'll probably be too old to care anymore.  :D

10 minutes ago, Tam said:

Yeah, while it's within the realm of possibility, if I live to see that one, I'll probably be too old to care anymore.  :D

Hell I'm only 42 and forgot about it until someone told me it was happening. I went outside and said "Yup looks darker than it should be." Went in and went back to work. My wife says i need to be more personable to others.....