You need to know that the burning point of cotton is around 430' Fahrenheit so you wanna be below that. Wattage shouldn't matter as your mod should throttle the power to regulate the temperature but too low a power will make the coil take longer to hit peak temperature. I can't give a better understanding than that myself as I've only tinkered with temp control but that would be the basics.

You need to know that the burning point of cotton is around 430' Fahrenheit so you wanna be below that. Wattage shouldn't matter as your mod should throttle the power to regulate the temperature but too low a power will make the coil take longer to hit peak temperature. I can't give a better understanding than that myself as I've only tinkered with temp control but that would be the basics.

Thank you! Is there really a big difference in TC over wattage? I normally vape a .25 ohm coil at 42 watts

Sent using The Vapor Talk mobile app

The Smok Alien 220 is auto-ranging for your Wattage while in TC mode.  This means that you set the temp and the circuitry will auto-apply the proper Wattage/Voltage to heat the coil to the proper temp (and keep it there).

Start low... and turn up the temp a few degrees, vape, repeat... until you get the vape you want or until you get a very hot or burnt vape taste.  If it is too hot or tastes burnt, back the temp down 10-20F and try again.

Once you really burn cotton, the coil is shot and must be replaced, so don't overpower a coil on the first hit, and don't fire a coil before it has time to fully soak up the juice (first time fill).

I have some juices that prefer 250F, and some that taste great at 420F, so you have to let your juice/tank/coil combo dictate what temp is best for it :)

Edited by Earthling789

No worries. You might find it hotter than you're used to until you get your preferred temperature dialed in. With that resistance and wattage you're probably not reaching temperatures that temp control can offer because of the action of drawing air over the coil. What tank/rda are you using?

No worries. You might find it hotter than you're used to until you get your preferred temperature dialed in. With that resistance and wattage you're probably not reaching temperatures that temp control can offer because of the action of drawing air over the coil. What tank/rda are you using?

I have 3 rdas the recoil, troll and the obs cheetah.. and rdta a kylin

The Smok Alien 220 is auto-ranging for your Wattage while in TC mode.  This means that you set the temp and the circuitry will auto-apply the proper Wattage/Voltage to heat the coil to the proper temp (and keep it there).
Start low... and turn up the temp a few degrees, vape, repeat... until you get the vape you want or until you get a very hot or burnt vape taste.  If it is too hot or tastes burnt, back the temp down 10-20F and try again.
Once you really burn cotton, the coil is shot and must be replaced, so don't overpower a coil on the first hit, and don't fire a coil before it has time to fully soak up the juice (first time fill).
I have some juices that prefer 250F, and some that taste great at 420F, so you have to let your juice/tank/coil combo dictate what temp is best for it [emoji4]

It's allowing me to change the wattage.. any suggestions on a starting point?

The newer Smok devices are providing pretty good TC.  Have you found a power setting you like in power mode?  What I mean by that is a power setting that gives you a good ramp up time and satisfying beginning of the vape.  I would start with that setting in TC mode for the wattage setting.  Every mod is different but in general the power setting in TC mode should provide 1.  The maximum power applied during a vape. You will want to have the setting high enough for the coil to reach your set temperature.   2.  Be a function of how fast your coils heat up.  In mods that do TC well you will be able to set the power higher than the power to achieve your set temperature and decrease your ramp up time.  3.  Some mods with a preheat setting will further boost or decrease the initial power to modify the beginning of the "hit". 

I hope that makes sense.