Coil wattage best setting

So I've heard from a few that the "best watt" setting that is on the coils are referred to the watt setting when you have it in temp. Mode. This whole time I thought it was the watt that you use (the one you adjust when vaping). Which one is it? Such a newb question but Idk which one it is. I don't think you can adjust the watt during wattage mode correct? So stumped... [emoji29]

Sent using The Vapor Talk mobile app

The "Best Wattage" is the one that gives you the best vape with your juice.  Those ranges are mere suggestions from the manufacturer, and they don't take into consideration the Nicotine levels, PG %, or most importantly... personal taste!  I regularly use a coil that suggests 30-60W on the side, but I only use it at 18W because that is what makes my juice taste best and still gives a decent cloud, without any harshness or burnt-taste.

To find your juice's Wattage-Sweet-Spot... start at a low wattage (like 10W) and vape... if you don't get flavor or vapor... turn it up a little higher (say, 2 to 5W increments).  Once you start getting vapor production, start making your adjustments in 1W (or less) increments.  Keep repeating this process until you get a slightly burnt taste, and then back the Wattage down a half-watt or so... that is your sweet-spot for THAT juice, THAT coil, THAT tank, and THAT mod combo!  A different coil/tank/mod may make the juice taste totally different at that same Wattage?

So, pay no attention to the stamp on the coil... I've known far too many people that gave up on vaping because they used those suggestions on the coil and overpowered their juices... they tasted burnt or like wet socks... and they didn't get the pleasurable taste/cloud the rest of us enjoy.

In Temp Control mode, most mods these days don't allow you to adjust the Wattage... it will automatically ramp the wattage up until it reaches the temp you have set.  Some of the older mods and some that have more "control" allow you to set the Wattage and temp... but if you have the Wattage set too low, the temp will never be reached... and if too high, the mod will pulse the Wattage (like rapidly pressing/releasing the fire button) to cut the power because it reached the temp.  For those mods, you have to play with it to find the point where you give it enough Watts to reach your desired temp without causing it to click on and off like a machine-gun :)

Edited by Earthling789

The "Best Wattage" is the one that gives you the best vape with your juice.  Those ranges are mere suggestions from the manufacturer, and they don't take into consideration the Nicotine levels, PG %, or most importantly... personal taste!  I regularly use a coil that suggests 30-60W on the side, but I only use it at 18W because that is what makes my juice taste best and still gives a decent cloud, without any harshness or burnt-taste.
To find your juice's Wattage-Sweet-Spot... start at a low wattage (like 10W) and vape... if you don't get flavor or vapor... turn it up a little higher (say, 2 to 5W increments).  Once you start getting vapor production, start making your adjustments in 1W (or less) increments.  Keep repeating this process until you get a slightly burnt taste, and then back the Wattage down a half-watt or so... that is your sweet-spot for THAT juice, THAT coil, THAT tank, and THAT mod combo!  A different coil/tank/mod may make the juice taste totally different at that same Wattage?
So, pay no attention to the stamp on the coil... I've known far too many people that gave up on vaping because they used those suggestions on the coil and overpowered their juices... they tasted burnt or like wet socks... and they didn't get the pleasurable taste/cloud the rest of us enjoy.
In Temp Control mode, most mods these days don't allow you to adjust the Wattage... it will automatically ramp the wattage up until it reaches the temp you have set.  Some of the older mods and some that have more "control" allow you to set the Wattage and temp... but if you have the Wattage set too low, the temp will never be reached... and if too high, the mod will pulse the Wattage (like rapidly pressing/releasing the fire button) to cut the power because it reached the temp.  For those mods, you have to play with it to find the point where you give it enough Watts to reach your desired temp without causing it to click on and off like a machine-gun [emoji4]

Thanks for the info! I have the revenger 220w mod. This does allow you to change the watt during temp. Mode but not on regular watt mode. I am confused if the "best watt" on the coil is referring to the watt setting when using temp. Control or when using it in regular "watt" mode.

Sent using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Wattage is just the amount of power applied to the coil... Temp control limits the power applied by cutting the power once the desired temp is reached, then re-applying/balancing the power to the coil to maintain the desired temp.

In Temp Control mode, if you have the power set to 200W, and the temp only requires 50W, it will heat up fast (applying 200W), then turns the power off/on rapidly to maintain the temp.  If you have it set at 50W, then the heat-up will be slower, but the controller will not have to pulse the power on/off to maintain the temp.  

Does that make more sense?

In Wattage mode, the power you select (20W, 50W, 200W, etc) will be applied to the coil... and over-powering the coil will cause it to pop at worst, or burn up your coil/cotton at the very least.  This is why I suggested you start low and use trial-and-error to find your sweet-spot.  The same applies to TC mode... start at a low temp and adjust your temp higher and higher until you find the desired level.  If it heats up too quickly, or you see the mod is having to work hard to maintain the temp, back off the Wattage.  If you find raising your temp has no effect, then you may need to apply more wattage in order to reach that temp?

The stamps on the coils are just for reference... like a guideline, and make no difference whether in TC mode or Wattage mode.  Most of those stamped ranges are determined using zero-nic and an unknown PG/VG ratio (or just arbitrarily given, based on the Ohm-rating of the coil), so they will not be definitive ranges for the juice YOU are using.  Like I said, I have one coil that says 30W is the recommended low/minimum, but I find my juice is great at only 18W... 30W would burn it to a crisp!  Another coil I regularly use says 15W-40W as the recommended range, and I've used it at 50W with a high VG juice for fantastic flavor and vapor...