Pins and needles wakes me in the night

tune29

Hi all. I've been a smoker for 25 years and been vaping on and off for about 4 years. I love the idea of stopping smoking to completely vape full time but I have an issue I was wondering if anyone else has that could help me...

If I vape after a couple of days I get pins and needles only when I am asleep. This wakes me because of the pain 4 or 5 times a night.

This happens if I smoke just the vape or vape and also have a couple of normal cigarettes in the day also . I only have a weak liquid 3mg so don't think I am overdosed on it...

Any ideas welcome please.

Thanks 

I've been vaping for almost 8 years now and I can't recall anyone mentioning anything like this off the top of my head. That would indicate to me that you've got a blood pressure issue, though I'm in no way a doctor. Do you get the pins and needles anywhere specific? Whole body? 

Have you tried using another e liquid rather than the brand you are using now? (And yikes if that did help, no e liquid should ever result in such a weird side effect) 

It's down both arms, I've had my blood pressure checked but it was a couple of years ago now and yes I've tried lots of different juices..every one does the same. If I just smoke cigarettes I don't get any pins and needles, if I vape I do, it's weird because I have to keep smoking cigarettes for my health lol ironically

Have a relative that had what you described, but they had pins and needles in their legs and feet. he didn't vape. but it turned out he was diabetic.

Not saying that is the problem, but high VG juice is said to raise your blood sugar, and if you are borderline diabetic it could cause problems. Maybe you should get it checked out.

Though VG is caloric, I don't believe it's metabolized. Though, I do recall reading somewhere it had some minor effect on blood sugar. But it probably wouldn't hurt to try a high PG e liquid and see what happens. Finding higher PG blends these days can be tricky as almost every major manufacturer uses a high VG mix. 

But, I'd be happy to send out a sample pack of Vapor Talk's classic line. It's 80 PG. (It needs to be vaped at a lower wattage as it's not meant for high wattage devices). Might be worth a shot. Though, it goes without saying, you should talk to your doctor etc. 

Just now, tune29 said:

Thanks, the diabetic answer is interesting. I'll book a doctor's appointment asap. It's so annoying because I love vaping and hate smoking. Why isn't anything easy in this life haha

There are some diabetics here on VT, maybe one of them would be more helpful, and for your sake I hope I'm wrong.

This is a real long shot.  I get that on occasion and it's sleep position.  Lack of blood flow because I have something "pinched off".  I have read about radical dream states as part of stinky withdrawal. 

4 minutes ago, Walt said:

This is a real long shot.  I get that on occasion and it's sleep position.  Lack of blood flow because I have something "pinched off".  I have read about radical dream states as part of stinky withdrawal. 

That had crossed my mind as well. I sometimes wake up with pins and needles in my arms but it's almost always attributed to sleeping on my arm. The proof is usually the giant mark left on my face lol And a good point about the dreams, I recall when I first stopped smoking I slept much heavier than previously. Many of us back then used to think the e liquid was causing dreams. What it's probably more likely is that our breathing was improving and we might finally have been getting better sleep and thus hitting a proper rem cycle. (I used to snore pretty bad too which has since become less of an issue these days). 

I agree though, probably a long shot but at least worth mentioning. 

Something else to ponder is... when you vape do you increase your water intake? Vaping dehydrates the body so we always recommend drinking more water (not soda/pop, coffee, tea, juice or anything other than plain water). Dehydration has strange side effects. This might be a contributing factor? I'm not a doctor but just wanted to add something to think about.

You know what else it might be? You said that you're still on cigarettes and are going back and forth. When I first started vaping, I used both for about five days before going strictly on the vape. The withdrawal symptoms I got from getting away from all the carcinogens in cigarettes did some pretty funky things to my body for about a month until they settled down.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2017 at 4:52 AM, tune29 said:

It's down both arms, I've had my blood pressure checked but it was a couple of years ago now and yes I've tried lots of different juices..every one does the same. If I just smoke cigarettes I don't get any pins and needles, if I vape I do, it's weird because I have to keep smoking cigarettes for my health lol ironically

could be just the way you sleep or sit while vaping, since you aren't constantly bending your elbow, but are probably holding your vape in an upright position.

Either way.. think of it like this... 

Pins and needles until you kick the cigarettes (deal with nicotine from vaping later) OR  risk the BIG C.   to me.. no contest.  If it were an issue.. I would vape less often but stay off the cigs.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:32 PM, tune29 said:

Thanks guys...it's definitely a vape issue because it only happens when I vape. It's very strange....I'll try vape for a few days and drink more water than a fish to see if it works

I have to agree with the others.  It may occur while you vape, but it doesn't seem like an issue related to anything involved in vaping.  Pins and needles is usually blood supply being cut off to limbs.. like when you sit on your foot..  Perhaps change your position more often while vaping and drink more water as suggested.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I have a family member who has mentioned a feeling of being stabbed by hot needles in his chest, stomach, back, and arms. It started out as a once a year thing, a couple of years ago, but it has happened again, this time, it was 4 days in a row. It lasts for a couple of minutes to almost a half hour, sometimes.

It's freaking me out! 

His vape is 5% and it's iced. 

I recommend that he stop for a while, and I've been giving him supplements (spirulina, magnesium, lysine, shilajit, zinc ,copper, selenium, and a daily vitamin) to help his nerves, and remove metals and stuff from his body.

It's been maybe 36 hours or so, and he mentioned getting the feeling once yesterday for a couple of minutes.

Fingers crossed that it's not a permanent thing!

Some important things to mention are:

He's not diabetic, no high blood pressure, as he's in his early 20's, and he's never smoked regular cigarettes. 

He was hitting his vape pretty frequently and like I mentioned before, it is 5% and iced. He's only had 5% liquids, and he's been vaping for a few years now.

Edited by K808