Vapor Cough The New Smokers Cough?

Crimus

First off, Happy New Year to everyone :beer:

and now, on to the post. I got my spade about 3 weeks ago, and haven't touched an analog from the moment my first battery was charged :thumbsup:. I've already felt all the benefits everyone else talks about on the forums of vaping within the first week. The thing I was happiest to get rid of was the smokers cough.

However, almost as soon as my smokers cough was gone, I started waking up with a new cough, and have been experiencing it throughout the day. It seems to almost get worse everyday. This is definitely not my lungs clearing out the mess I made with analogs. These coughs are straight from the dry, harsh tickling in my throat (feels like there's sandpaper), very different from the phlegm based smokers cough.

I was blaming my sleep medication which has the possible side effect of dry mouth, but after getting my brother, and one of my friends into vaping, they both made the same comment to me on seperate occasions of how dry their throats were since starting vaping. This was the point where I decided it's not my medication, it's the act of vaping. This was also the point where I put 2 and 2 together and realized why pretty much every Grimm Green video review and some others I've seen have them with a water bottle on hand. I didn't need to change my habits when I realized this as I already drink a minimum of 2-3 liters of water a day and pretty much never without it.

I'd like to know if this is a known side effect of vaping, if anyone on the forums is having the same experience, if it's the juice/spade I'm using (i'm smoking 16mg vapor talk Dulcis and Exotic Tobacco), and if anyone who has had the same problem has any resolutions to try beyond drinking water? I've taken to using a sore throat spray, but that only relieves my throat for an hour or so, and then it kicks back in, and I definitely don't want to have to start carrying the spray around with me or using it every day through out the day.

I experience the same symptoms when I vape alot. On days when I'm vaping less I don't have the irritated throat and dry coughs. I don't have a solution for you, except to vape less. I drink water and juices when vaping because of the dryness, but it doesn't take it away. I belive the PG is the culprit. Some people are allergic to PG and use VG instead. Sorry I'm not much help other than to say you're not alone. If somoeone has a cure please post it.

PG dries your lips, mouth, and throat. If I understand it correctly, the same properties that allow it to absorb the nicotine and flavoring is the same properties that strip the moisture off your lips, mouth, and throat. To solve the lip problem you use medicated chap stick. To solve the mouth problem you just drink. To solve the throat problem you have to gargle your drink. Gargling breaks off the layer of PG on your throat. Also, having a humidifier in your room helps all three. Earlier today I had a bad sore throat. I had to get rid of it. With my chronic bronchitis, once my throat gets really sore I cough to the point that I'm suffering and if I go to sleep with a sore throat I'll wake up choking on phlegm. I still have this prescription cough medicine that has codeine in it that I got when I had H1N1. It saved me the other day. Without it I would of been in the emergency room. I could not stop coughing enough to even get air and I think it was because of the PG plus this dry winter air. Anyway, when I had my bad sore throat earlier today I decided to try the gargling method that I believe I read on this forum somewhere. I drank a can of Sprite. Every gulp I gargled as long as I could until I had to breathe. In about 15 minutes the sore throat went away. If I didn't do that I'd probably be taking a sick day tomorrow.

I think I jinxed myself by making the post last night. About an hour after I fell asleep, had the worst coughing fit from vaping to date. Woke up coughing painfully after that first hour of sleep. Had to take cough medicine to get it to stop and so that I could go back to sleep.

I'm interested about the PG comment above since I've seen VG based juices available. Would switching to VG possibly get rid of this dry throat issue?

VG - breaks down into Glucose in your system. This can throw sugar levels out of whack so you need to be careful and monitor your levels, if you see them rising or slipping I'd switch to PG.

PG - breaks down into Lactic Acid. This is one of the reasons it drys out the throat, irritating it, and can make you feel slightly achy the next day as if you had worked out.

Now with those issues out of the way, vaping, if continuously is still putting an irritating foreign material (vapor) into your throat on a consistent basis, you'll find the coughing stops coming from the lungs like with smoking, but instead issues from the throat.

You can try VG and that should help some, and then drink water when you vape to keep your throat moist. Other than that, eventually your body should become accustomed to the vaping like it did with smoking.

VG - breaks down into Glucose in your system. This can throw sugar levels out of whack so you need to be careful and monitor your levels, if you see them rising or slipping I'd switch to PG.

PG - breaks down into Lactic Acid. This is one of the reasons it drys out the throat, irritating it, and can make you feel slightly achy the next day as if you had worked out.

Now with those issues out of the way, vaping, if continuously is still putting an irritating foreign material (vapor) into your throat on a consistent basis, you'll find the coughing stops coming from the lungs like with smoking, but instead issues from the throat.

You can try VG and that should help some, and then drink water when you vape to keep your throat moist. Other than that, eventually your body should become accustomed to the vaping like it did with smoking.

Thanks Highly for this post I have been reading on how Vg can raise glucose levels and in being a diabetic this is something I will have to learn to monitor in my daily intake of along with foods,however it still doesn't beat being able to walk away from analogs and possibly getting some health issues back under control.

I wonder if we should start symptom forum for our own info.

I was getting a little concerned by some of the coughing I was experiencing after a week or so after getting off the analogs.

But my coughing is NOTHING like what some of you are describing here. I'm feeling very fortunate in the minimal reactions I'm experiencing.

While on analogs, I literally had to go outside to clear my lungs from waaaay down deep. Have not had to do this after 2 weeks of no analogs.

I was thinking it may help others if they what other people are expeiencing in physical reactions.

Like I say, just a thought.(I guess it could get kinda gross though)

Thanks Highly for this post I have been reading on how Vg can raise glucose levels and in being a diabetic this is something I will have to learn to monitor in my daily intake of along with foods,however it still doesn't beat being able to walk away from analogs and possibly getting some health issues back under control.

There's a thread a couple of posts down you may want to look at. Don't know if it'll be helpful, but if you haven't already seen it... link below.

Diabetes thread.

Hey Crimus--would definitely consider trying VG. I have talked to several people that had coughing and wheezing from PG, they had good luck with VG. Drinking plenty of liquid helps a bit also.

Hope you get it sorted out

happy Vaping

A remedy that I used when I was smoking analog cigarettes is Biotene dry mouth gum. you can get it at walgreens in the toothpaste/mouthwash etc aisle. Its a little strange, but the gum stimulates you into salivating more, which helped me a lot with my dry mouth and throat. It comes in a mouthwash, a toothpaste, a gum, a spray and a gel.

I have a window shopping problem...and I originally bought the gum because I thought it was hilarious that it makes you salivate more. But when it helped my smoker's dry throat I decided it wasn't so hilarious anymore XD

Edited by Gitzy

thanks for the tips. I have some vg bottles on their way from wordup, just hoping the glucose won't have any effect on my weight.

I'm also in Canada and we don't have walgreens here, but I've been using a spray called Mouth Kote availabel here. The active ingredients are Yerba Santa and Xlitol, probably the same stuff as in the products at Walgreens.

Bottom line is that I don't want to have to carry around and spend more money on something to overcome this dry throat and cough. And don't want to deal with weight issues from vg if there are any. And I can't drink any more water then I already am, having the habit of drinking water as often as I do even before ecigs. I've actually missed my smokers cough the past couple days compared to the vapor cough I've had, especially in the morning or fits that have come on while sleeping.