Steep times

Hey guys. Done a few batches of DIY juices - is there a general rule of thumb for steep times? I've read somewhere the fruits generally steep the quickest while custard and cream type flavours the longest but not sure if accurate. It kills me making a batch and having to not touch it for a few weeks lol.

Also the term "Shake n vape" gets thrown around a lot but obv everything will take time to steep. What about single flavour recipes?

Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some juices need more steep time than others, seems like the longer they steep the better the flavor, but I have been known to mix and vape some flavors.

There are ways to fast steep juices, I either use a ultra sonic cleaner or a small crock pot.

I have also loosened the cap and put the bottle on the exhaust vent of my laser printer, which runs about 130f.

From my experience, the juices with any type of creamy flavor takes longer to come out to full maturity. The fruit juices are usually good as soon as you finish making them up. Bakery flavors are better after a little time but not as much as the creamy flavors. Like @FXRich recommended, there are ways to "speed steep" juices by adding a little heat. Without having to buy anything more, you can just put very hot water (not boiling, just as hot as will come out of your tap), into a bowl and put the bottle of juice into it. Let sit until water turns cool. Shake and repeat a couple of times. That will speed steep a juice as well.  :) 

The process I use is 1/2 hour in a vile on a magnetic stirrer with enough agitation to create a lot of gas bubbles.  My stirrer isn't heated but the friction does bring up the temperature of the e-liquid.  Then I give it a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner for 1/2 hour at about 100°F.  I mix fruit and some with cream.  All of my e-liquids come out pleasant.  Per @Tam the creamy mixes do get better with time.  I don't notice a difference over time with the fruits. 

I steep my custardly type flavors at least a month but I also mix 500 ml at a time I always have 500ml steeping while Im vaping a steeped batch  Fruits and single flavors I will shake n vape

I use 'hot rice' for speed steeping. I fill a small to medium mixing bowl with uncooked rice and heat it in the microwave for a minute (yes 1 minute), Then push my bottle or bottles down in the rice up to the cap and cover with a dish towel for approximately 1-2 hours or until the rice is cool. I find it cuts off about 2 days steeping time with this method.

Edited by VapeMama

I use 'hot rice' for speed steeping. I fill a small to medium mixing bowl with uncooked rice and heat it in the microwave for a minute (yes 1 minute), Then push my bottle or bottles down in the rice up to the cap and cover with a dish towel for approximately 1-2 hours or until the rice is cool. I find it cuts off about 2 days steeping time with this method.

Nice! Thanks for the tip VapeMama!

Like @Walt, I use a magnetic stirrer, which gives my juices a thorough blending, generates heat through agitation and general chemical exothermic reaction, and greatly reduces a need for steeping.  Mostly, I mix my juices weeks before I will use them, so they do get plenty of "aging" time on the shelf before they are used, but they tend to taste the same the day I mix them, as they do months later....  

Recommendations on heat work well, but be careful not to overheat them as they will become dark and the flavor can be harsh.  Chocolates and custards do tend to get better with age, regardless.

I just drop my mixes in to a warm bath for about 10 minutes - enough time for the ingredients to "melt" in to a consistent viscosity. They seem to blend nicely like that.  Then let them drop back to room temp and good to go.  

Frankly,  I haven't noticed steeping making much of a difference if you get them to blend well at the start.  

Little win- my first recipe I was playing with is a Black cherry & blueberry cotton Candy. It's taken a little time for the cherry to mellow out but coming thru kinda nicely now. At first has a kinda dusty bitter taste but is settling pretty well now. [emoji106]

I like the rice idea. Thanks
Here is what I have learned. Fruits are shake and vape but a few days never hurts. Creams and custards need at least a week or more. Tobaccos need 3 to 4 weeks a month or2 is best.
Steeping is mixers HELL. I get around this by having around 500 to 700 mls steeping all the time. The new goes in the back of the cabinet and as I add to the back the older juice comes to the front. I get 3 to 4 weeks steep this way. Be safe with nic & have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app