Are these safe?

I have been using them just fine. Suddenly, my Kangertech Dropbox 160 says check battery. Screen is going wacky and mod shuts down. Hours later it worked perfect, then randomly went back to the error and shutting down.

I swapped battery positions and it works again like normal...

Are these safe to use?

I'm worried about the white ring insulator being a little gnawed on. Also, one is a flattop and one isn't. Is this an issue of safety? 16d3e67c6cbc130bd45952ef2f66331d.jpg27f81e3063687efc8a76cb2d45796321.jpgccb57b6a97427a37f96903cc3131b258.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Becarefull with the top ring getting eaten up I had a batt short out on me and vent in my hand as I took it out of the changer because of an exposed piece of the top of the batt

Does it look like its an immediate issue?

8 minutes ago, FredGalaxy said:

Does it look like its an immediate issue?

When you start seeing metal it is  you can always get wraps for them  when mine start looking like that I super glue it back down it has helped so far

If you're worried about them replace them.  It's worth the price in peace of mind.  Here's a link to information published by a guy who does vape battery testing.  He goes by Mouch.   https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/18650-battery-ratings-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/   

There's a table in there that shows a bunch of batteries he has tested.  Real nice to know info as it shows what batteries can actually do as apposed to what manufacturers say they can do. 

As @Tam mentioned... those should not be used together in the same mod because they are two different batteries (amp limits, and capacity).  One looks like a Samsung 30Q, and the other could be a Samsung 25R, but could also be a Sony VT series (4, 5, or 6)?  Using them together will cause one to eventually fail, catastrophically.  As for the fraying wraps, they can be re-wrapped, but I would honestly recycle them and pick up two NEW pairs of matching batteries.  Label them A1, A2, B1, B2, and use them in matched pairs, rotating their position in the mod each time you change batteries.  They will last longer and be more reliable that way.

3 minutes ago, FredGalaxy said:

Picking up a new set tonight, thank you all for the advice!

Thank you for bringing up the topic.  I learned more about batteries too.  Anything that is capable of putting out 20A of continuous DC current needs to be respected. 

On 6/14/2017 at 5:25 AM, cany said:

Becarefull with the top ring getting eaten up I had a batt short out on me and vent in my hand as I took it out of the changer because of an exposed piece of the top of the batt

Cany.  I have to ask.  Did the battery vent as quickly as that by brushing the ends of the battery across the charging terminals?   I've never had a battery vent so I just don't know how quickly it can happen.  

5 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Cany.  I have to ask.  Did the battery vent as quickly as that by brushing the ends of the battery across the charging terminals?   I've never had a battery vent so I just don't know how quickly it can happen.  

When I pulled out of the charger I instantly heard a hissing sound I dropped it and ran

26 minutes ago, cany said:

When I pulled out of the charger I instantly heard a hissing sound I dropped it and ran

Oh to have been a fly on the wall!!!  Captain!   She's gonna Blow!!! 

I personally wouldn't use them like that, as mentioned earlier you should at least re-wrap them with a new insulator on the one.
The fact that your mod was acting up would be the first hint that something is not right.

I've had considerable experience with different batteries from the RC Car world.
From my experience, anytime a battery looks odd or starts acting strange I just get rid of them. The price of batteries is cheap compared to losing a couple of fingers or worse.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Even if they don't short out and go into thermal run away a simple leak is a one each nasty mess.  Great way to trash a hundred dollar mod with a ten dollar battery.  I have to assume if your vaping you are an ex-smoker.  Were talking less than two packs of stinkies.  A single day's habit fee for most of us.  We never thought twice about that in the day. 

6 hours ago, cany said:

Lol.   I guess I would too haha

34 minutes ago, FredGalaxy said:

You all have very helpful replies. All this I already knew but wanted to see public opinion. I learned more about wraps and batteries in general from this! I greatly appreciate the help guys

Always better safe than sorry

• 9 months later...

I have been using them just fine. Suddenly, my Kangertech Dropbox 160 says check battery. Screen is going wacky and mod shuts down. Hours later it worked perfect, then randomly went back to the error and shutting down.

I swapped battery positions and it works again like normal...

Are these safe to use?

I'm worried about the white ring insulator being a little gnawed on. Also, one is a flattop and one isn't. Is this an issue of safety? 16d3e67c6cbc130bd45952ef2f66331d.jpg&key=876221398217c1912ede3175c26c8d694c780022b650e5ac4665c483ac426c8527f81e3063687efc8a76cb2d45796321.jpg&key=ae6c81915938e3080691123fdf621bf803c06324e2c48c91ad4789a9b3e8dee3ccb57b6a97427a37f96903cc3131b258.jpg&key=9049e3b600af113f2fc0b5b8f73a9552937ef451819f0958ff47e8119bc92201

Never use different brand batteries in a single mod, NEVER and its much better for battery to be charged in a charger than via USB.