Question about TC

I just bought a Halo Reactor Mega and use it on TC. It allows you to adjust the wattage while on TC, and I have it at 30 watts and at 280 degrees. I had it set over 400 degrees but I watched the temperature as I hit it and it never went above 260 so I put the temp down to 280. I was under the impression that while on TC mode devices would adjust the wattage accordingly? This one runs on whatever wattage you set it at almost immediately once the fire button is hit then the temp begins to go up. Meaning I hit fire, it goes up to 30w then the temp begins to rise. I noticed it gets hot very fast at higher watts and don't like the heat it produces so I leave it at 30. The coil is .25 and is recommended between 20-60 watts. I'm just wondering about controlling both wattage and temp at the same time. I wasn't aware you could do that [emoji854].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On most mods in TC mode, the wattage sets a ceiling for how much power the coil can pull from the device.  If the wattage is set to low you may never get to the desired or "dialed in" temperature.  If the wattage is set too high you run the risk of the mod applying TC so rapidly and abruptly that you feel the mod kicking in and out of TC during a vape.  I usually vape for awhile using power mode to find the power that gives me a decent vape.  I then set the device to TC and set the wattage for the same wattage I used in power mode.  I will then start low on temperature, say 400F  and keep turning it up until I get the temperature that feels right. 

I know nothing about the Halo Reactor.  I do know mods vary greatly in how the handle TC.  I've got a Wismac Predator that will not stabilize in TC. An Alien that is pretty nice.  Then there's the Yihi SX mini that is smooth as a baby's behind in TC.  Some mods react quicker than others with TC as well.  Sounds like the Halo may be a bit slow allowing the temperature to get a little too hot before the TC kicks in, or you just may need to lower the temperature setting to keep the heat down. 

I hope this made some sense.  Both settings work together. 

On most mods in TC mode, the wattage sets a ceiling for how much power the coil can pull from the device.  If the wattage is set to low you may never get to the desired or "dialed in" temperature.  If the wattage is set too high you run the risk of the mod applying TC so rapidly and abruptly that you feel the mod kicking in and out of TC during a vape.  I usually vape for awhile using power mode to find the power that gives me a decent vape.  I then set the device to TC and set the wattage for the same wattage I used in power mode.  I will then start low on temperature, say 400F  and keep turning it up until I get the temperature that feels right. 
I know nothing about the Halo Reactor.  I do know mods vary greatly in how the handle TC.  I've got a Wismac Predator that will not stabilize in TC. An Alien that is pretty nice.  Then there's the Yihi SX mini that is smooth as a baby's behind in TC.  Some mods react quicker than others with TC as well.  Sounds like the Halo may be a bit slow allowing the temperature to get a little too hot before the TC kicks in, or you just may need to lower the temperature setting to keep the heat down. 
I hope this made some sense.  Both settings work together. 

When I got it it was set a high wattage (I don't remember exactly) and I set the temp to 400 and it got hot really fast, too hot for my liking and in only about 2 seconds, it was like a half of a hit I didn't like it. I tried hitting it at a high wattage and 400-450 temp but it was just way too much for me. I like the lower temp so I can draw longer and not set my mouth on fire lol. That might change the longer I vape tho. Thanks for the response, it made perfect sense [emoji854]

2 minutes ago, kookookachoo said:

When I got it it was set a high wattage (I don't remember exactly) and I set the temp to 400 and it got hot really fast, too hot for my liking and in only about 2 seconds, it was like a half of a hit I didn't like it. I tried hitting it at a high wattage and 400-450 temp but it was just way too much for me. I like the lower temp so I can draw longer and not set my mouth on fire lol. That might change the longer I vape tho. Thanks for the response, it made perfect sense emoji854.png

You're welcome.  The wattage setting also effects the "ramp up" time of a vape.  The higher the wattage, the faster the coil heats up.  TC is a bit of a balancing act between available power and temperature setting.  Some mods have preheat settings as well.  The Alien has soft, normal, and hard.  Hard applying more wattage to the coil for the first couple of seconds.  The SX mini takes it a step further and allows the user to create a custom power curve over a ten second period.  Using TC on the SX, I use a curve that applies and extra five watts at the very beginning of the vape and then slopes down to my set wattage over a period of about two seconds.  Somewhere in there the TC has kicked in and I get an even temperature vape beginning to end.  It took a little trial and error to find the right set points. 

Some mods don't have a wattage setting for TC, just temp setting. I use Kanger mods exclusively, and there is no wattage setting in TC, it doesn't matter if I set it to 5 watts or 160 watts, it still functions the same,  some other brands are the same, depends on who makes them.

Kanger says the initial wattage depends on the coil resistance, I did read somewhere that the initial surge is at a specified voltage which would make sense. Whether that is at 3.3 or 3.7 Kanger isn't saying, or maybe it is higher than that I don't know. Some people say the initial surge is at max watts the mod will go, but I find that hard to believe since my .7 coils would burn the cotton using 160w, even if it only lasted a fraction of a second.