How to diy e juice?

The first thing you do is a lot of research on how to safely handle nicotine and other safety issues to keep you and your loved ones safe. The rest sounds like it's pretty straight forward. :)  

Tam is right, first step is learning safety, second step is a tremendous amount of research online.  I just recently plunged into the DIY arena myself.  It can be tedious to start off with, especially if youre trying to make your own recipes from scratch.  My recommendation, is go to http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ and find something that sounds like it might be up your alley, buy the flavors you need to make it and start with that.  If you go heavy VG, you'll likely need extra flavor to make it work, depending on the original recipe mix. I tend to like my juices at around an 80VG/20PG mix.

Me, I was a hard head, and decided I was going to try and replicate one of my favorite juices without a recipe, luckily for me, I mostly have it figured out.  It needs some tweaking, but the banana cream/menthol combo really is delicious, IMO.  

I started by joining www.e-liquid-recipes.com and downloading this calculator:  http://ejuice.breaktru.com/  

Take some time to play with the calculator.  It comes with some recipes.  Learn how to tell the calculator what type of nic you are using and how to set your desired nic strength.  If you have a good relationship with a local B&M they probably have a book full of juice descriptions that will give you starting points regarding the flavors used in juices.  You won't get a recipe but you may get some really helpful hints.