E-cig users needed for survey

The Addiction, Smoking and Health lab at Penn State University is currently recruiting electronic cigarette users to participate in an online survey.  We would like to find out more about how and why certain images increase one’s desire to use e-cigs. If you agree to and are eligible to participate, you will have the chance to enter and win a $100 gift card. 

If you are interested and would like to learn more about the study, please go to https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eaPIgHeEBFmEIiV to answer questions regarding your electronic cigarette use and to determine your eligibility. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Walt said:

Why does this sound like more twist and shout journalism to me?

Hmm, it is...  it's part of a marketing analysis to determine what (politicians and nannies) needs to be banned from packaging, advertising, posters, flavors, names, etc.

It's research man, nothing inherently nefarious about research.   Research itself is a good thing. We can learn from it.  I took the survey, I'm sure they'll see a pattern in my responses. :)

Edited by TheFinz
Typos

8 minutes ago, TheFinz said:

It's research man, nothing inherently nefarious about research.   Research is itself is  a good thing. We can learn from it.  I took the survey, I'm sure they'll see a pattern in my responses. :)

I'm taking the survey now.  Funny thing about all the pictures...none of them has created an craving, urge, desire or need to vape, but some of them have caused a craving for red vines, created an urge to use a pencil to write this response by hand and an inexplicable desire to pick my nose.

Edited by Adversarious1

Just now, Adversarious1 said:

I'm taking the survey now.  Funny thing about all the pictures...none of them has created an craving, urge, desire or need to vape, but some of them have caused a craving for red vines, created an urge to use a pencil to write this response by hand and in inexplicable desire to pick my nose.

ROFLMAO!  That's hilarious!  And absolutely appropriate cravings considering the content! :)

I will admit tho, that seeing someone blowing a cloud from a mod did increase my desire to want to take a hit.  Anything else either made me hungry or disgusted (cheapy cig-alikes), or didn't do much of anything at all for me.  

On 5/12/2017 at 8:42 PM, Walt said:

Why does this sound like more twist and shout journalism to me?

On 5/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, Earthling789 said:

Hmm, it is...  it's part of a marketing analysis to determine what (politicians and nannies) needs to be banned from packaging, advertising, posters, flavors, names, etc.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:01 PM, Walt said:

@Earthling789  I really don't like the " more about how and why certain images increase one’s desire" statement.  Something just doesn't sound right. 

While I appreciate your concerns--I can assure you this is not "twist and shout journalism." This is not agenda driven or ideological. We have no ties to advertising or packaging or any kind of legislation, nor are we studying the effects of certain types of advertising or ages, etc. This is a legitimate study from a legitimate university. This study is very typical of other studies of craving in other populations, such as cigarette smokers. We acknowledge e-cigarettes are not the same as cigarettes, and that is one of the reasons for the study--to see what works the same and what does not.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:12 PM, leadpipe58 said:

I got this too. "Don't be using nicotine when answering the Survey " I am a Penn state fan but you people have some misconceptions. I could tell right there it is rigged.

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Thank you for taking the time to look at the study. I am sorry that you think it is rigged--can I answer any questions for you to perhaps ease your mind? The reason we ask participants not to use nicotine while participating during the survey is because nicotine has been demonstrated to affect mood and desire. Not everyone will react this way (as you know many e-cig users don't even use nicotine in their liquid), but in order to have a valid study we have to make the experience as similar for all the participants as possible. If some are using nicotine during the survey and others are not, artificial differences in responses could show up, thus invalidating our results.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, TheFinz said:

It's research man, nothing inherently nefarious about research.   Research itself is a good thing. We can learn from it.  I took the survey, I'm sure they'll see a pattern in my responses. :)

On 5/13/2017 at 2:28 PM, Adversarious1 said:

I'm taking the survey now.  Funny thing about all the pictures...none of them has created an craving, urge, desire or need to vape, but some of them have caused a craving for red vines, created an urge to use a pencil to write this response by hand and an inexplicable desire to pick my nose.

Thank you for taking the time to participate in the study! Your input is valued.

25 minutes ago, PSUe-cigResearch said:

While I appreciate your concerns--I can assure you this is not "twist and shout journalism." This is not agenda driven or ideological. We have no ties to advertising or packaging or any kind of legislation, nor are we studying the effects of certain types of advertising or ages, etc. This is a legitimate study from a legitimate university. This study is very typical of other studies of craving in other populations, such as cigarette smokers. We acknowledge e-cigarettes are not the same as cigarettes, and that is one of the reasons for the study--to see what works the same and what does not.

It intrigues me that you would offer your assurance regarding the intent of this survey.  The survey and or study is being conducted.  It's efficacy has obviously already been "sold".  What is not being conveyed to the participants are the postulates that define the efficacy.  I perceive this omission either myopic or deceptive.  "Twist and shout journalism" was obviously satire and not necessarily deceptive of the endeavor.  It did however solicit your response.  Again, interesting.  

Ok PSIe. Why no nicotine usage?i have had it coursing through vains for 40 years. I built a career,keeped a roof over my head and food in my belly. Do you think not having it for the duration of your test would make a difference. I think you goal is to twist this into info to see how much better people do when not all nicked up. Remember there is ton of lies out there from big brother. No thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Guys, I think we're being a bit overly suspicious.  My wife owns a market research company, so while not completely the same, she does do surveys for clients at times. I described the survey to her, to give her an idea of what the premise was.  The first thing out of her mouth was a question: "Did they tell you to not vape while taking the survey?".  I hadn't discussed that part with her at all.  I said yes, to which she replied "Good, because they need to have that as a base line for the results to come out accurately"  (maybe some paraphrasing on my part there.  I'm an IT geek by trade, not a researcher).  The end of the day, my wife who is familiar with this sort of work agrees the research is well thought out and pretty standard for information gathering purposes.  Instead of demonizing these folks for wanting to learn more vaping and it's effects on people, I'd hoped we as a community would be a little more willing to participate.  Anyway, just my two cents on the matter. 

Was just talking to my wife about this and as she reminded me: "Do you remember the second question I asked you?"  (I didn't). "I asked you if the people on the forums were pissed they came here with it or suspicious"  To which I pretty much laughed my butt off, because she was spot on.  :lol:

Edited by TheFinz
Typos and bad words *oops*

41 minutes ago, TheFinz said:

Was just talking to my wife about this and as she reminded me: "Do you remember the second question I asked you?"  (I didn't). "I asked you if the people on the forums were pissed they came here with it or suspicious"  To which I pretty much laughed my butt off, because she was spot on.  :lol:

How special.

• 3 weeks later...