Rebuildable Coils and Coil Life Span?

Hey all, 

I have been vaping for about two months and I am tired of constantly having to buy new coils for my sub ohm tank and sometimes the coils being either a hit or a miss wether they will be defective or not. 

I am considering switching to RDTA's but I have a few questions. I am wondering how long I would be able to go with the rebuildable coil before having to replace them? Number two I am wondering how if any of you guys know of any places or sites that I can just buy the already wounded coils and or already set decks similar to how the iJoy RDTA has an already set deck included.

Thank you for any advice as I am a noob with all of this but looking to learn as much as I can. 

Usually when using a rebuildable deck only the cotton needs to be replaced once a week or so. I can go longer, but I find after a week or so the flavor seems to be the issue, and replacing the wick after dry burning the coil makes it like a new coil.

Just a few questions to satisfy my curiosity...

What brand and model of tank are you currently using?

How long is the coil lasting before you have to  change it?

What is it doing for you to think it's defective?

What resistance is your coil?

What kind of juice are you using (PG/VG ratio and is it really dark and/or sweet)?

With the answers to the questions above we might be able to help you make a coil last longer. Dark, sweet juices will burn out a coil faster then light, not as sweet flavors.

Just a few questions to satisfy my curiosity...
What brand and model of tank are you currently using?
How long is the coil lasting before you have to  change it?
What is it doing for you to think it's defective?
What resistance is your coil?
What kind of juice are you using (PG/VG ratio and is it really dark and/or sweet)?
With the answers to the questions above we might be able to help you make a coil last longer. Dark, sweet juices will burn out a coil faster then light, not as sweet flavors.

Using a iStick Pico with a Melo 3 tank

I can normally use the coil for about a week maybe even 2 weeks if I'm not vaping much.

Issue being I just bought two coils from my local shop just on Tuesday and the one burnt out today which I found weird but just changed it out and cleaned everything and primed the new coil let it sit for about an hr to try to make sure it would be fine yet that one was tasting burnt as well

0.3 ohm resistance

Using Lunar Harvest 3 mg which is clear. I'm not sure if that's the issue though since that's the only juice I use and normally I can get a week or two out of a coil. As for VG/PG they just say it's "max VG" on their site not sure if that means 80/20 or 90/10

Thank you guys so much I really appreciate the help

Max VG could literally mean anything ranging from 70/30 to say 95/5.  I hate it in fact, it's a cop out (imo) from actually having to tell us what the actual numbers are.  And it's possible that you just got a poorly made coil.  Since they're mass produced, that does happen on a occasion.  Personally I'm more than fine paying two dollars a pop online for my coils.  I visit local B&M stores on occasion, but they never have my coils, which I pretty much expect at this point.  I use a not so popular tank, the Eleaf Lyche (primarily). I have a baby beast tank and a uwell crown that I use for testing my own personal juice mixes, but that's pretty much all I use them for these days.  

4 hours ago, KandyKlouds said:

Thank you for the info. Sorry if this is a stupid question but does that mean you'd be able to use the same coil for a year or so as long as you would change the cotton?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't know about a year, but I have been using some for a long time. Usually I change the coil when I want to change the resistance, I know I have been using a dual coil setup in one of my tanks for at least 6 months, just changing the cotton occasionally.

Thank you for the info. Sorry if this is a stupid question but does that mean you'd be able to use the same coil for a year or so as long as you would change the cotton?

A year sounds like a bit of a stretch.  honestly, I would have no idea.  I haven't vaped that long, lol.  They do last a good long time.  Building is something folks seem to either love or hate.  If you enjoy the process then of course there are many benefits to include longer coil lifespan.  For me it's all about the hobby of building.  I don't think I save a cent as apposed to buying prebuilt coils.  I like trying different types of wire, different builds, yada, yada.  Building also goes hand in hand with dripping and I love the flavor I get from dripping. 

Using a iStick Pico with a Melo 3 tank

I can normally use the coil for about a week maybe even 2 weeks if I'm not vaping much.

Issue being I just bought two coils from my local shop just on Tuesday and the one burnt out today which I found weird but just changed it out and cleaned everything and primed the new coil let it sit for about an hr to try to make sure it would be fine yet that one was tasting burnt as well

Okay, for the most part with a premade coil, two weeks or a little more is doing good. If your new coil sat for that long and it still tasted burnt, I'm wondering how high the wattage is that you're vaping at? With a new coil or using new-to-you juice, set the watts low, vape. If that's not working for you, turn it up a bit, vape. Repeat until you get a slight burnt flavor then back it down a bit. That's the sweet spot for that coil and juice.

Don't go by what settings others tell you to use, use your own judgement to let it tell you when the right wattage is (if you're using lower than what's recommended).

On pre-made coils like Kanger and Aspire... I have gotten days out of some, and some have lasted a month before flavor went south.  Since I've been using temp-control and SS wire coils, I've been getting 3+ weeks out of each pre-made.

When I make my own coils, I can get about a week before I change the cotton, and the coil is good for several weeks (4-5 minimum) if I clean the coil when I change the cotton.

I agree with everyone above... I think if you're burning them up, you have the Wattage too high for your juice/air-flow?

14 hours ago, KandyKlouds said:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Honestly, if you shop around, wire is cheap.  There's really no reason to go a year with a set of coils.  I'm probably in the minority when it comes to how frequently I change the coils in my RDA's - every time I change the wick.  But building coils is something I enjoy.  Sometimes I get a day, sometimes I get a week.  It depends on what type of juice I'm vaping and it depends on whether I'm testing multiple flavors when it comes down to how frequently I make the decision to change the coils.

I'm using the Kanger subtank mini with the RBA deck and the longest time I got out of a coil was almost 8 months. I was changing the wick every few weeks. It's easy to learn how, and I can replace the wick and be up and running in less than ten minutes. I really prefer the flavor versus the premade coils, and the cotton is a lot cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you are building standard kenthal coils for an RDA, you should be able to withstand many uses from a set of coils (or just one).
Personally, my coils last for several months, and retain zero unwanted flavors with proper care. I change cotton every three days due to sticking with one flavor. During each cotton change, be sure to burn-off your coils at a LOW WATTAGE. This will prevent your coils from hotspotting near the post, therefore shorting your unit. Use a coil brush, in addition to burning off unwanted juice/gunk.
Also, unnecessarily adjusting your coils on the post will shorten its life because you are losing integrity of the metal by bending/flexing, etc.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk