First attempt at mixing is in the books

So I mixed up a small batch of orange ice cream earlier, some with and some without sweetener.  This flavor was my main concern on how it would work out, so I wanted to start with it first.  I wanted to start out with a baseline, to know exactly where I am with the flavor I'm working with.  It's an 80/20 VG/PG mix.  Followed it up with some steeping.  

I just got done testing it on my old kanger Kbox with a baby beast and it's pretty much what I expected.  The orange is over powering and while the cream is THERE, it's not enough to tame it.  The erythritol sweetener helped to a point, but not enough to cut the orange to a manageable point.  I'm going to need a cream of some sort to cut it with.  Any suggestions on some sort sweet cream to cut it with?

I'm figuring on something like this for a second go on this flavor (10 ml mix):

1.5 ml Orange Icecream (in PG)

0.5 ml of some sort of sweet cream (presumably in pg)

0.5 ml of Erythritol (5% sweetener mix in a VG base)

7.5 ml of a the VG/Nic mix I have

should land me at an 80/20 that's cut enough and sweet enough to work.  (I hope) :)

7 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I mix a orange cream juice, I use 15% blood orange, and 5% Bavarian cream, works for me.

Yeah that's the ratio I was thinking with this orange ice cream and (as of yet) unknown cream, a 15/5.  

Bavarian eh?  Sounds like it might be just the thing.  Do you Steep it or let it sit rich?  If so, can you tell me for how long?  I appreciate the suggestion!

When I get down to my last 30ml I mix up a 120ml batch, It usually sits for at least a week at room temp before I use it. From past experience the Bavarian cream needs to steep, like most other creams. The orange is usually ready to vape after mixing.

After you DIY for awhile you will know which flavors need to steep a long time, and which don't need to steep very long. I mix a Big red gum flavor 3% cinnamon and 15% bubblegum, the cinnamon can be tasted right away, but the bubblegum needs to steep for a week to really taste it.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

When I get down to my last 30ml I mix up a 120ml batch, It usually sits for at least a week at room temp before I use it. From past experience the Bavarian cream needs to steep, like most other creams. The orange is usually ready to vape after mixing.

After you DIY for awhile you will know which flavors need to steep a long time, and which don't need to steep very long. I mix a Big red gum flavor 3% cinnamon and 15% bubblegum, the cinnamon can be tasted right away, but the bubblegum needs to steep for a week to really taste it.

Awesome, thank you!  Yeah I figure there's a learning curve, once I find something that works, I can vape that for a while until I work some other flavors out.

Just now, TheFinz said:

Awesome, thank you!  Yeah I figure there's a learning curve, once I find something that works, I can vape that for a while until I work some other flavors out.

Good luck to you with your DIY mixing, remember what tastes good to someone else might not taste good to you, and the other way around too. Draino is easy to mix, and also wet sock flavor. 

6 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Good luck to you with your DIY mixing, remember what tastes good to someone else might not taste good to you, and the other way around too. Draino is easy to mix, and also wet sock flavor. 

Yeah I figure it'll be interesting to see what comes out of this.  lol I have this raspberry blue berrywith a hint of orange cream floating around in my head.  We'll see...

Edited by TheFinz

On 5/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, cany said:

X2 on Bavarian cream  When I mix I use flavors I know I like so if it doesent come out perfect I know its still vapeable

Sweet.  Definitely appreciate the input guys! 

Thanks guys,  I did sort of jump in and buy all from one place, e-liq.com.  I honestly don't know the brand of the flavors.  I plan to purchase the well known name brands that I've been introduced to recently moving forward.  And yeah, I think I have one "vapeable" recipe in the books, for a straight Raspberry flavor.  I'm going to slowly work through this as time allows, and try to get together a handful of vapeable recipes and then start move forward with some more complex recipes from there.

Congratulations!  I hate to even speak of another forum here as this is my "home", but the folks at www.e-liquid-recipes.com discuss ad nauseam the intricacies of flavors, brands, yada, yada, yada.  

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Congratulations!  I hate to even speak of another forum here as this is my "home", but the folks at www.e-liquid-recipes.com discuss ad nauseam the intricacies of flavors, brands, yada, yada, yada.  

Thank you!  Yeah I found that website the same day I found VT.  I ordered Bavarian Creme and Banana Creme by TFA, Sweet Cream by Cap, Menthol by FA to start working on smoothing out some of my mixes and trying to replicate another juice I am fond of.