Hello, guys, i am quite new to vaping and I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. Yesterday, I bought myself a vape with the following configuration:
1) smok tfv12 tank (with preinstalled smok v12-t12 atomizer)
2) CigGo Praxis Vapor Banshee 150W TC box mod
3) 2x Avatar 2000 mAh 20A 18650 batteries

As far as I understand, the coil that I use has a low resistance (0.12 Ohm), and therefore i should vape at 120+ watts. I notice that after a few minutes of vaping the tank and the mod become warm. The tank seems to be getting warm due to the heating of the evaporator, but now with the mod itself I had a question. I conducted an independent investigation, and I realized that the batteries were getting warm. I read a few articles and understood that the batteries should not become hot on their own. Tell me please, what could be the problem. Are these batteries bad for this vape or what? Moreover i see that my mod has temperature control. Is is OK to use stainless steel TC mode with my atomizer? Or better just use 120+ watts?

Edited by skydog

Welcome!

You are correct, the tank is getting warm because of the heat generated by the heating of the coil at high watts... think of the heat of a 100W light-bulb, and you're going hotter than that... in a very confined space...

As for batteries getting warm, yes they do that as they produce power (discharge).  I do not know the brand "Avatar", and probably would not trust them to be true 20A batteries.  If it were me, I would invest in a QUALITY pair of Samsung 25R (green wrapper) or LG batteries (HE2, HG2).  The ones I mentioned are TRUE 20A batteries and larger capacity (2500mAh or 3000mAh).  I regularly use (and trust) these batteries and never have them get warm on me, even when pushing a single battery over 60W... or dual batteries over 120W.

Thank for your reply! Looking forward to buy some batteries of BETTER quality. Will reply here to tell if it helps (and therefore Avatar brand is ok or not). BTW, what is the practical difference between 20A, 30A, 35A etc batteries?   

The "practical" difference is the amps a battery can safely discharge without venting or failing. Most quality batteries are 20A, but some are rated and tested higher. It is their tested value for continuous discharge that is important. Their pulse value is usually higher, but means little since you are not using them in a pulse capacity, in other words you are holding the fire button longer than one second [emoji4]. Typically, batteries with lower capacity (mAh) have higher discharge ratings, and those with huge capacity have lower amp rating... But it's a generalization, not a rule.

The batteries I listed above are proven and tested to 20A ratings, and most of us here on VT know and trust them daily!

Sent from my XT1094 using The Vapor Talk mobile app

@Earthling789's recommendations are spot on.  If you are still unsure about which batteries would be best, there is a guy named John Muchow who has done very extensive testing on different brands of batteries.  He goes by "Mooch" on one of the other forums, but he also does a battery blog on Phil Busardo's site.