TFV12 RBA-T Wicking Tutorial

Hello Vape Community!

The triple coil RBA-T for the Smok TFV12 RBA Edition with the stock coils is the best tank setup I've ever used and it's not even close. If you have the TFV12 RBA Edition and you want to maximize your vaping experience, take out the RBA-T deck and follow these instructions.

First, take a look at how the stock coils are built and installed. They perform exceptionally well with this setup, so take note so that when you eventually rebuild, you can match the stock build as closely as possible.

Looking at the deck, you will see 3 juice wells. Each juice well takes a cotton strand from 2 of the coils.

When wicking, use a somewhat thin strand to pull through the coil (just enough that the cotton has some tension inside the coil).  Cut the cotton edge's length so that when pushing the cotton down into the juice wells, it is barely longer than the minimum length needed to reach the bottom of the well. It may seem under cottoned, but when the second coil's cotton goes in, there will be enough cotton to cover the entire well.

When pushing the cotton down into the well, have it go almost as straight down as you can but with the cotton still filling the entire coil tube. Don't push down so much as for the end of the tube to not be completely tight with cotton; try to keep the cotton tension consistent throughout the coil's entire length. Once the 2 coils wicks are placed in the well, there will be enough cotton to fill the entire well.  Keep the cotton in the well quasi separate, each strand on its own side. Have the cotton strands touching so that there is no space between them, but don't have them overlap with eachother; keep them parallel side by side.  From the juice fill slots, fluff the cotton with a tweezer in the well, but do not have the separate cottons threads significantly overlap (minor overlap is fine, but minimize it to just how much is necessary so that there is no visible space between the cotton wicks).  Do same on all 3 juice wells.

The 2 cottons in the same well allow for incredible wicking, because when the cotton isn't bunched up (which with 2 cottons going in the same well it doesn't have to be) it allows the juice to flow directly upwards through the cottons' natural strands and into the coil.

You know what to do next: juice it up, screw the deck into the tank, and brace yourself for the ultimate vaping experience.

It will wick and hit like a dream. You'll get amazing vapor production, amazing flavor, a super smooth inhale, and the vapor won't be hot (though your mod itself may heat up a bit.)

I had to wick, test, and rewick 3x to figure out how to do it right, so don't be frustrated if it takes some time to get perfect, but with my instructions you should be able to do it right on either the first or second attempt.

Set your mod to Variable Wattage with 140w preheat for 0.1 seconds (or whatever setting on your mod would cause similar preheat). Set the power to anywhere between ~86 and ~103 watts.  And LET HER RIP!!

Best Vaping Wishes,

theclaw208086e255f51c39828d73f0dc78ca3392.jpg0afcab048c1bb610758dc8c16aa9f423.jpg

18 minutes ago, theclaw20 said:

Thanks Tam. I didn't know about that section. I'm gonna check out some tutorials there :).

You're welcome. This section is pretty quiet, but hopefully, with tutorials like yours, it'll get hopping again.  :relaxed: 

You're welcome. This section is pretty quiet, but hopefully, with tutorials like yours, it'll get hopping again.  :relaxed: 

Is there any way to make this section more readily noticeable to someone who visits the forum? I didn't even know this section existed, and I was actively seeking the kind of advice that tutorials offer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, starsky396@ said:

On my gx350 when I'm setting up temp control is 0.00105 good? Or should I change that?

You might get more comments if you start your own thread in General Vaping Discussion instead of commenting/asking on someone else's that's on a different topic.

And just on a guess... I'm going to say that 0.00105 is not good and you should change that.  :lol: 

9 hours ago, starsky396@ said:

On my gx350 when I'm setting up temp control is 0.00105 good? Or should I change that?

It looks like you are using TCR mode of your gx350 (I'm assuming there is a TCR setting where you can dial in the specific setting for a specific type of wire) and that looks like the temp co-efficient for SS304 wire.  If you are using SS304, then yes, that setting is good.  If you aren't using SS304 then I can't recommend the proper setting. 

Your best bet would be to use the basic setting for whatever type of wire you are using (Ni for nickel, Ti for Titanium or SS for stainless steel).  If it's kanthal, don't try to use it in TC mode.

Most people don't use SS 304 (food grade SS) for coils, but most do use SS 316L (surgical grade SS). 316L has a lower carbon content, and is more resistant to corrosion than 304. 

Most of the tanks manufactured do use SS 304 to make the main body of the tank, I believe most of the drop in, and premade SS coils are made with 316L wire.

9 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

It looks like you are using TCR mode of your gx350 (I'm assuming there is a TCR setting where you can dial in the specific setting for a specific type of wire) and that looks like the temp co-efficient for SS304 wire.  If you are using SS304, then yes, that setting is good.  If you aren't using SS304 then I can't recommend the proper setting. 

Your best bet would be to use the basic setting for whatever type of wire you are using (Ni for nickel, Ti for Titanium or SS for stainless steel).  If it's kanthal, don't try to use it in TC mode.

Yea it's ss. What exactly does the setting change? 

7 hours ago, starsky396@ said:

If I have the fused Clapton setup that the tfv12 rba kit comes with can I assume they are 316l?

Short answer: No, don't assume that.

The following is purely based on my experience.  When a manufacturer uses something other than kanthal for the coils they provide in a kit, they generally specify what type of metal those coils are made of.  When it comes to the TFV12, SMOKTech mentions "Stainless Steel".  That is for the actual tank construction, not the coils.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a TFV12 yet, so I don't know if there is something in the (most likely poorly written) user manual that specifies the coil material.  In this scenario I would err on the side of caution and make the assumption the coils are kanthal.  I could be wrong, but I have yet to see anything anywhere on the internet to prove me otherwise.

Your best bet...use power mode with those coils, not temp control mode.  When you are 100% sure of the material, then use temp control.