Smok TFV8 Baby Beast coil recommendations, please!

Tam

It's so hard to make recommendation.  For one, I'm a vaping mess right now struggling with changes in my palate.  Second, folks vaping preferences are so widely varied.  I have a friend that vapes everything  over 120 watts and he gets clouds for sure.  I've tried his rigs and he gets some massive blasts of flavor as well but the heat is horrendous for me.  I don't care for the trailing dry vaper taste either.  I have a .24Ω build right now in my baby beast obviously using the rba head.  I hit it at about 45 watts and I am quite happy with both the volume of fog and the flavor production. 

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

I have a .24Ω build right now in my baby beast obviously using the rba head.  I hit it at about 45 watts and I am quite happy with both the volume of fog and the flavor production. 

Color me too lazy to go take a look at the specs, but does the tank come with the RBA deck or do I need to purchase that separately?

I'm with you, Walt. Don't care for hot vapor at all, I much prefer a cooler vape, which is why I don't go with high wattage.

Unfortunately it's a separate item to purchase but it's only about eleven bucks.  It's a decent little deck.  Doesn't hit me like an after thought on the part of Smok.  It is on the small side.  I've got a pair of 2.5mm coils in there with about three strands of cotton running through each one, lol. 

27 minutes ago, Walt said:

Unfortunately it's a separate item to purchase but it's only about eleven bucks.  It's a decent little deck.  Doesn't hit me like an after thought on the part of Smok.  It is on the small side.  I've got a pair of 2.5mm coils in there with about three strands of cotton running through each one, lol. 

Thanks for the rec, Walt. I can always count on the great folks here at VT to help me spend my money.    ;)

7 hours ago, Walt said:

These guys get stuff out pretty fast at least to me here in Michigan.     https://www.myvaporstore.com/Rebuildable-Atomizer-Head-for-SMOK-V8-Baby-Beast-p/sm-uatfv37.htm

@Christopher

Would you be able to do something similar? I'd buy one :) ! For me though it would be at the end of the month because of my move happening in the next couple of weeks and I don't want it lost in the mail ;)

Thanks

11 hours ago, Tam said:

There's a Baby Beast in my VT store cart and I'm wanting to get extra coils for it to put into my order. If I'm looking for a good combination of flavor and vapor, which coil would you suggest? I'm looking at you, @Adversarious1 although any and all recs are welcome!

Give me a minute to pick my jaw up from the floor.  It immediately dropped upon learning @Tamis pulling the trigger on a Baby Beast.

The only coils I've used are the T8 (.15 ohm) and the Q2 (.4 ohm version that comes pre-installed).

Both coils provide a nice balance between flavor and vapor.  The T8 coil has a slightly tighter draw than the Q2 and as a result, it is easier to mimic the MTL style you prefer.  And yes, even though it is a sub ohm tank and is meant for DTL hits, it is possible to MTL with this tank.

11 hours ago, Tam said:

Thanks for the rec, Walt. I can always count on the great folks here at VT to help me spend my money.    ;)

OMG!  I am literally laughing out loud all by myself.  The cats seem to think Dad has gone south.  I'm more than happy to return the favor!  BTW, to qualify that, all the money you helped me spend has been well spent.  

11 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

Give me a minute to pick my jaw up from the floor.  It immediately dropped upon learning @Tamis pulling the trigger on a Baby Beast.

Waiting... are you done yet?  :lol:

I was in an "OMG, I've got to buy it NOW or I'm going to put it back" mood last night so I picked up a 5-pack of the Q2 coils. We'll see how that goes. After listening to you praise this little tank, I finally decided to pull the trigger. See? Yes, I was listening to you... sort of.   :relaxed:

23 hours ago, Tam said:

I'm with you, Walt. Don't care for hot vapor at all, I much prefer a cooler vape, which is why I don't go with high wattage.

I think I've pretty much come full circle with the vape wattage thing.  I put together some "hot" builds and pushed up the wattage for awhile.  The initial blast of fog and flavor was impressive.  I found that I got tired of that in a short while.  I've pretty much settled back to builds from .25 to .3 Ω using between 40 and and maybe 60 watts.  Mostly more around 40-45.  I like the longer draws and with the newer mods with the adjustable initial wattage, I am getting a very pleasant vape.  I really like longer more gentle draws letting the flavor build through the draw.  I do understand however how some like the more powerful vapes. 

I'm with you. The high wattage vapors don't let me vape all day. My throat can't take it. My baby beast 0.4/ Q2 coils are set at 37 watts... Sweet spot for me... However, I remember the 11 watt days of higher ohm coils that worked great too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I'm with you. The high wattage vapors don't let me vape all day. My throat can't take it. My baby beast 0.4/ Q2 coils are set at 37 watts... Sweet spot for me... However, I remember the 11 watt days of higher ohm coils that worked great too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Like right now I have a 1.8 ohm coil at 8.4W, and it's perfect for the juice I'm currently using. Don't always need high watts to have a satisfying vape.  :relaxed: 

8 minutes ago, Tam said:

Like right now I have a 1.8 ohm coil at 8.4W, and it's perfect for the juice I'm currently using. Don't always need high watts to have a satisfying vape.  :relaxed: 

Every liquid is so different as well.  I was vaping some mild citrus @3mg and 65W.  Changed to Some Tiger's Blood @ 6mg and could not deal with it.  A lot better @ 55w.  Get more vapor too because I can get a good draw.  

On 4/6/2017 at 8:25 AM, Adversarious1 said:

The only coils I've used are the T8 (.15 ohm) and the Q2 (.4 ohm version that comes pre-installed).

Both coils provide a nice balance between flavor and vapor.  The T8 coil has a slightly tighter draw than the Q2 and as a result, it is easier to mimic the MTL style you prefer.  And yes, even though it is a sub ohm tank and is meant for DTL hits, it is possible to MTL with this tank.

Okay, so I've heard both you and @Earthling789 tell me that subohm coils and high watts do not necessarily have to mean hot and harsh vapor. I'm using the Q2 coil and have tried everything from 20W to 50W. The higher the watts, the hotter and harsher the vapor. Yes, the airflow is wide open -- so much so that I can see through to the other side. What am I doing wrong?  :persevere:

1 minute ago, Tam said:

Okay, so I've heard both you and @Earthling789 tell me that subohm coils and high watts do not necessarily have to mean hot and harsh vapor. I'm using the Q2 coil and have tried everything from 20W to 50W. The higher the watts, the hotter and harsher the vapor. Yes, the airflow is wide open -- so much so that I can see through to the other side. What am I doing wrong?  :persevere:

I suspect one of two things is going on (or possibly both).

#1 - A classic example of "what is hot to one person isn't necessarily hot to another" or

#2 - Psychology is coming into play.  It's possible you have "psyched" yourself into believing that sub-ohm vaping is supposed to be hot, therefore your experience is a hot vape.

As far as harsh vapor is concerned, it might be the PG/VG ratio.  I know I prefer 80% VG in my liquids for sub-ohm purposes.  Some juices I can vape at 70% VG, but anything lower and it does tend to be a little harsh for my tastes. Also, since I don't know what nic level you are at, if you didn't drop the nic level by at least half (and I know you normally like vaping at 1.8 ohm), then suddenly vaping 3mg nic liquid will be mind blowing, and not in a good way.  As high as you normally vape ohm-wise, you should probably decrease the nic by 75%.  

3 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

I suspect one of two things is going on (or possibly both).

#1 - A classic example of "what is hot to one person isn't necessarily hot to another" or

#2 - Psychology is coming into play.  It's possible you have "psyched" yourself into believing that sub-ohm vaping is supposed to be hot, therefore your experience is a hot vape.

As far as harsh vapor is concerned, it might be the PG/VG ratio.  I know I prefer 80% VG in my liquids for sub-ohm purposes.  Some juices I can vape at 70% VG, but anything lower and it does tend to be a little harsh for my tastes. Also, since I don't know what nic level you are at, if you didn't drop the nic level by at least half (and I know you normally like vaping at 1.8 ohm), then suddenly vaping 3mg nic liquid will be mind blowing, and not in a good way.  As high as you normally vape ohm-wise, you should probably decrease the nic by 75%.  

Physiology is playing just fine here, I even burned my lips a little so I don't think it's just me. My PG/VG ratio is 30PG/70VG and the nic is at 3 mg, which is what I use when I vape on a 1.8 ohm coil. While that increase in nic might be a little mind blowing, I also vape 24 mg nic on a 1.8 from time to time (usually at work when I can't vape as often), so this shouldn't be a problem, should it? I have a couple of 0 nic juices I could try, but I'm still working on the hot vapor problem as well. *sighs*

Man, I am so new to this that I can't believe that what I am about to share isn't common knowledge, but.... Ya there's the but....  When I started getting into lower resistances and higher wattage I had to drastically change my vaping technique.  Got my lips on the outside of the drip tip.   Got my tongue out of the way and made a direct funnel to my lungs.  I taste on the way out, so to speak.  It's an amazing vape but much more direct than I thought DTL had to be.  I can dry out in a heartbeat as well.  Gotta watch that.  

1 minute ago, Tam said:

Physiology is playing just fine here, I even burned my lips a little so I don't think it's just me. My PG/VG ratio is 30PG/70VG and the nic is at 3 mg, which is what I use when I vape on a 1.8 ohm coil. While that increase in nic might be a little mind blowing, I also vape 24 mg nic on a 1.8 from time to time (usually at work when I can't vape as often), so this shouldn't be a problem, should it? I have a couple of 0 nic juices I could try, but I'm still working on the hot vapor problem as well. *sighs*

How did you burn your lips with a delrin drip tip?

Vaping 24mg @1.8 ohms vs vaping 3mg at .4 ohms can definitely make a difference.  With the .4 ohm coil, you're vaporizing the nicotine more efficiently and you're also producing a lot more vapor than what you do with your preferred setup.

The delrin drip tip stayed nice and cool, I burned my lips on the hot vapor coming out. Right now I've got it set at 39.7W and can only draw on it just a little under two seconds before it gets too hot for me. Don't know how you guys do this all the time.  ;p

1 minute ago, Tam said:

The delrin drip tip stayed nice and cool, I burned my lips on the hot vapor coming out. Right now I've got it set at 39.7W and can only draw on it just a little under two seconds before it gets too hot for me. Don't know how you guys do this all the time.  ;p

Honestly, I normally run the .15 ohm coils in my baby beasts at 75-85 watts, depending on the juice.  The vapor I get from that isn't as warm as the smoke from a cigarette (to me).