Hitting a bit of a snag

I believe my taste buds are finally working again and this is creating quite a little challenge.  At first most flavors were quite amazing to me which comes as no surprise.  Now many flavors are falling off the "vape all day" list.  Citrus has become pungent and sweet has become obnoxious.  The sweet thing is no surprise.  Almost 40 years ago I moved away from complex sugars per the emergence of hypoglycemia.  But pertaining to vape flavors this leaves fruits with no sweetness added.  Pretty limiting.  Most all over the counter vapes are not hitting the spot.  I am going to start testing on individual dyi fruit flavors this weekend.  Right now I'm down to a couple of strawberry recipes and one pineapple.  

If anyone has gone through this and has recommendation from the "other side" so to speak, please share!   

I don't know if I can help you.  I've never been able to all day vape fruit flavors.  I totally enjoy them as a short switch, but they quickly cloy on me.  

I've tried using a little sweetner in my mixes.  No success there.  And I despise overly sweet store bought juices.  Even things like root beer and licorice I love but only for a few short stretches to break up the day once in a while. 

I've had some success mixing a tiny bit of fruit with other more savory flavors.  But it has to be only a hint.  This was most true when I was still vaping tobacco flavors. 

Ive grown to appreciate more subtle savory flavors for my ADV. Coffees, caramels, vanillas, nutty flavors.  For me they stay more constant throughout the days.  

32 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Ive grown to appreciate more subtle savory flavors for my ADV. Coffees, caramels, vanillas, nutty flavors.  For me they stay more constant throughout the days.  

This sounds interesting, especially coffees, vanillas, and nutty.  Any suggestions to get me started?  Good to hear that someone shares my disdain for the store bought syrups.  I can't really say that I have any right now that are truly ADV.  The ones I like the best are subtle and I will develop vapors tongue before the day is through and be vaping no flavor.  I carry about three with me and rotate to try to keep things fresh and my tongue alive.  I also just stopped by my goto brick and mortar and my friend there hit me with a couple that are pretty decent.  Naked very berry and Truve Zelena.  He seems to have similar likes to mine.   The very berry has lemon in it which I could do without, but not bad. 

I'm the exact opposite from @Bebop.  I tend to stick to fruit based flavors as my ADV's and occasionally mix it up with the coffee flavors and "dessert" flavors.  To this day, more than 2 years after I started vaping, one of my favorite ADV's is the very first one I ever tried and is from a local shop - Lemon & menthol. 

I do get "vaper's tongue" though, no matter how hydrated I stay.  When that happens, I will typically switch from berry to citrus or vice versa for a few days or I'll vape something pastry or dessert flavored for a couple of days and that will usually take care of it. 

Other than that, I have never been able to find a single juice that is my "be all, end all".  Not even that very first juice I tried.  In this case, the only thing I can think of is that, while your taste buds are working again, it's possible you may be confusing the heck out of them with all of the different flavors you're throwing at them. 

1 minute ago, Adversarious1 said:

In this case, the only thing I can think of is that, while your taste buds are working again, it's possible you may be confusing the heck out of them with all of the different flavors you're throwing at them. 

Good thought.  That's entirely possible.  Gotta mull this over a bit.

8 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

I'm the exact opposite from @Bebop.  I tend to stick to fruit based flavors as my ADV's and occasionally mix it up with the coffee flavors and "dessert" flavors.  To this day, more than 2 years after I started vaping, one of my favorite ADV's is the very first one I ever tried and is from a local shop - Lemon & menthol.

Other than that, I have never been able to find a single juice that is my "be all, end all". 

After the first year and a half or so I moved away from fruit juices because it seemed like they were all too "sharp" with regard to the flavor. I would add some vanilla or a creamy creme brule to cut the citrus, which is really weird because in my day to day, I love sharp citrus. Mojito was a long time favorite that I still go back to every so often, but I add a little something to smooth it out.

My ADV for the past three or more years is an flavor that tastes like the Almond Joy candy bar. I never would have guessed that this flavor would have a hold on me this long. My vaping tastes (pun intended) is so different than my food/drink preferences. Vaping's weird that way.  :lol:

@Tam @Uncivil11  I think it will be awhile before I develop any stable preferences.  Thinking about it the last little while, it is no surprise that in the beginning I needed something with really strong flavor to taste it at all.  The citrus flavors would actually started giving me heartburn after awhile as well as become very bright and cutting.  Vapor's tongue is something I am starting to get a handle on.  How to switch back and forth between flavors, what to drink, and watching the temperature of my vapes.  I've got six fruit DYI recipes I really am enjoying at this point.  I still keep some citrus to shock the tongue from time to time.  All in all it's going really good.  It's a process.