Drop-in Coil Cleaning

I was wandering if anyone had tried cleaning used drop-in coils for extended use using any of the many methods on YouTube?

I tried it on my coils from several tanks I have and I get about 3 months of use per coil vaping daily.

Once cleaned, they are practically like new. Ive only cleaned each one twice so I've never gone beyond that as I suppose I've achieved the max value from each coil.

Any positive/negative experiences???

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Since I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner I have also switched to all RBA's.  So I can't really say too much about drop in coils.  No real experience.  With RBA coils the US cleaner does a pretty nice job.  Sometimes I need to knock off a few spots with a brush but they are loose after a cleaning.  I do pull the cotton however before I clean as the cotton will hold on to grime more than wire and metal.  

Since I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner I have also switched to all RBA's.  So I can't really say too much about drop in coils.  No real experience.  With RBA coils the US cleaner does a pretty nice job.  Sometimes I need to knock off a few spots with a brush but they are loose after a cleaning.  I do pull the cotton however before I clean as the cotton will hold on to grime more than wire and metal.  

Hey Walt, what kind of wire do you use for your RBA's? I'm going to start building my own coils and was wondering if ss is best overall. I do want to stay away from Ni200.

@Cloud-9  I use both SS and Kanthal.  Between the two I can usually come up with a decent coil configuration.  SS is very low in resistance and sometimes it is hard to get very many winds in some smaller RBA's.  I've also been playing around with clapton and fused clapton and again, sometimes it takes a pretty large coil to hit what I want in a resistance with SS.  As inexpensive as wire is I would recommend getting SS in 24,26,&28.  Same with Kanthal.  This would provide a pretty wide set of choices in coil winds.  Play around a bit with the coil calculator here:  http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html.   Try both kanthal and ss in different gauges and different coil diameters, and you can get a feel for how many wraps each wire will take to achieve a given resistance.  Both wires produce great vapor and flavor.  SS is necessary only if you are partial to temp control vaping.  

That's great info Walt, thanks. I've learned a lot from this forum and YouTube. Also, my neighbor has quiet the set up so I've fooled around with coil building and it's actually easier than i thought when I was a noob a couple of years ago.
Every aspect of vaping becomes more clear with a little patience, knowledge and experiences from other vapemiesters.

I've cleaned drop-in coils using pure-grain alcohol such as Everclear, moonshine, or Vodka over 100 Proof.  The higher and purer the alcohol content the better, though.  Let them soak overnight, repeat as necessary, then air-dry for another overnight period, and they are rejuvenated, but not quite good-as-new.  This is mostly to remove flavor from wicks, but it will do a decent job cleaning the coil of crud.  

Seriously though, with the coils I use being so cheap (and rebuildable), I don't even bother cleaning them anymore... I just grab another and toss the old one into the "rebuild later" pile.

@Cloud-9  You and I are doing the same thing my friend.  Watching, trying, and learning.  I learn the most from my mistakes like the coil that I built too close to the outer rim of the RTA.  When it expanded from heat it shorted out.  OooooPs.  But now I know.  

Back in the day, especially with the Protank single coils, I used to rinse in hot water, soak overnight in vodka, let dry for several days and revape. Like @Earthling789 said, it's great for getting one flavor out of the wicks. Then, we discovered that we can rebuild the Protank coils so now, when I use the old tanks, I just rinse the old coil and toss into a "rebuild someday" pile. With my Triton tanks, I have an RBA coil for them but with coils so cheap, I've just been holding onto the RBA for the someday should I not be able to replenish my supply of ready-made coils.  :) 

@Tam I usually get about six weeks to a coil just casually vaping daily, so I do get 3 months out of each coil with very little effort. But like you mentioned, they're pretty inexpensive now. I am going to start making my own coils, being retired and all, it'll make for another nice hobby. [emoji847]