I'm Scared now

Walt

I'm honestly scared now.  I built a two coil 1.2Ω deck in a Tsunami using 2x24 - 32 fused SS Clapton.  The flavor and fog are like something I've never experienced.  The mod, IPV8 is reading .07Ω while the meter was reading 1.02Ω.  The mod is firing and @ 150W the setup is a fog machine.  Is this thing going to melt down?  It even sounds weird, like a leaky compressed air valve hissing only not as loud when it fires.  Will the next episode of Wally Vapes be "Lost in a blissful fog" or "OoooPs, the big bang theory was right". 

Back to the drawing board.  That was just tooooooo much.  The mod read "too hot" after a few vapes.  I'm not sure what this wire can be used in besides household wiring but it sure is not going to fit in a Tsunami.  I think I'll wait a bit and try a 7 wrap on a 3mm bit for a single coil config later. 

5 hours ago, Walt said:

Back to the drawing board.  That was just tooooooo much.  The mod read "too hot" after a few vapes.  I'm not sure what this wire can be used in besides household wiring but it sure is not going to fit in a Tsunami.  I think I'll wait a bit and try a 7 wrap on a 3mm bit for a single coil config later. 

We don't want to hear on the news about somebody in Mi. named Walt blowing himself up.

I would say the mod is giving you a more accurate reading, I have 2 of those so called meters 1 don't work anymore, and the other is very inaccurate, maybe its because they were on clearance when I bought them. a .07 coil at 150w uses 3.2V and 38 Amps,  a 1.02 coil at 150w uses 12.4V and 12 Amps, I don't know if your mod will put out 12.4V.

Either way don't blow yourself up. 

3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

We don't want to hear on the news about somebody in Mi. named Walt blowing himself up.

Thanks FXRich.  I pulled it apart and made a single coil build @ 16Ω.  I love the surface area on the fused clapton but I think I should have went with Kanthal instead of SS.  I didn't do my research well and I am finding that to get any resistance at all I would need a huge distance for the coil.  I'm wondering if maybe a Goon would give me enough build space to get a bigger single coil in place. 

I'm basically begging for any suggestions.  I've got a bunch of wonderful wire that I don't know what to do with at this point. 

That's the trouble with SS 316 its a low resistance wire, In my Dripbox I use a dual coil SS setup, but I use a 3mm id 8 wrap single strand 28g wire, and get a .39 reading.

I never have been a fan of Clapton coils, I don't feel a need to fog the house up.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

I never have been a fan of Clapton coils, I don't feel a need to fog the house up.

I'm thinking on the same terms the more I play with clapton.  Had to try it but I am really not finding any huge increase in flavor.  When I do pump enough power into them I get heat and a lot of fog while the flavor suffers.  I guess there was only one way to find out.

Just now, Walt said:

I'm thinking on the same terms the more I play with clapton.  Had to try it but I am really not finding any huge increase in flavor.  When I do pump enough power into them I get heat and a lot of fog while the flavor suffers.  I guess there was only one way to find out.

I tried Clapton coils too, but like you I found them to be lacking in flavor. Lots of vapor not much flavor, and they shorten the battery life.

To me a good alternative is twisted wire, not as much surface, but more flavor than Clapton.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, leadpipe58 said:

I have made all kinds of coils and have used steam engine to figure the ohms. So far it has not been wrong. Steam-engine.org.
Plan before you build.

Sent from my iPhone using The Vapor Talk mobile app

The wire wizard is pretty good especially with simpler builds.  It has a tendency to calculate a little high with more complex wire structures.  Nothing too serious, still gives a good swag to get started with.