Vapor Talk Poll: What oHm/Resistance do you usually run?

Resistance/oHm Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Resistance do you use?

• Other (Mention Below)

Been building my RTA's and RDA's between .25Ω and .3Ω lately. Getting good spacing on coils with good fog and good flavor @ reasonable wattage settings of 50 to 60W.  Good throat hits as well.  I guess to further qualify the the formula, I'm mixing juices @ 70/30 VG/PG with 6mg nic.  

For wattage mode I use 26g Kanthal, .8 - .9 ohm range.

For TC I use 28g 316L .7 - .8 ohm range.

For dripping I use a 28g SS dual coil setup, around .4 ohms.

Whether I use TC or watts my coils run about .8 ohms, which is what I prefer, but others may prefer a higher, or lower resistance depending on how they vape.

Just now, Christopher said:

Now that's low

Yes...yes it is.  But that's the way...uh huh, uh huh...I like it...uh huh, uh huh.

I'll occasionally build a 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coil for MTL vaping, but I'm usually in deep in the sub ohm area day-to-day.

1.6 is usually where I'm at. Anything lower is just too hot for me personally. I've never seen the appeal in sub ohm vaping. Though there's no denying that's where everything at today. (When filling orders, most of the drop in coils are all below 1.0)

Sub ohm doesn't necessarily mean hot, though.  It's all relative: the lower the ohms, the higher the wattage you can go and achieve roughly the same temp.  There's much more science to it than just that, but sub ohm should not be confused with "hot". 

2 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

Sub ohm doesn't necessarily mean hot, though.  It's all relative: the lower the ohms, the higher the wattage you can go and achieve roughly the same temp.  There's much more science to it than just that, but sub ohm should not be confused with "hot". 

I'm probably not doing something right because sub-ohm, to me, means very warm to hot vapor. One of these days I will get you and @Earthling789  to lern me diffrunt.  :p

Edited by Tam

2 minutes ago, Tam said:

I'm probably not doing something right because sub-ohm, to me, means very warm to hot vapor. One of these days I will get you and @Earthling789 to lern me diffrunt.  :p

lol - honestly, it doesn't mean hot.  In fact, I get a cooler vape with my Cloud Beasts with the .15 ohm T8 coils at 125-130w than I do with a handmade 1.8 ohm coil in one of my MTL tanks at 15-20w.

Edited by Adversarious1

I'll probably have to sit down with Ad once of these days. Thing is, I left the industry for about a year or two to work with BK. Came back and sub ohm had seriously taken over. (Back when we assumed it would be a phase) In my experience, sub ohm vaping has always been to harsh, rough or not a pleasant smooth experience. Though higher ohm often takes "too long" IMO to give you the vapor you need (unlike a cigarette which is faster) which I think sub ohm'ing tries to solve. 

It's counter intuitive to me, but I don't argue with what works.  As I move along my journey and lower the resistance and raise the power, the vapes are more fulfilling both in therms of fog and flavor as I go. 

It's funny I remember when I visited China the first couple of times. A surprising amount of vapers of there know my face from the forum. There's also a random video of me floating around when I was vaping in Qingdao with Debbie. (There was a comment about the white man with the hairy legs married to a Chinese woman. It's a long story) But they would say ask "wow so you know everything what device do you use?!" And..... I would pull out a Vision Spinner 2 with an AeroTank lol It's not that I didn't have access to a ton of other devices and mods in the VT inventory, it just worked for me and I was too lazy to change lol It was so sad to see their disappointment. (I Take a DNA75 with me now) 

High wattage doesn't have to be hot.  It can be but it doesn't follow absolutely.

It's kinda like this.

It takes a lot more power to heat up multiple coils or large coils with thick wire to the same temperature as a smaller thin little wispy coil. It's a numbers game.  Much like it only takes 105 horsepower engine to move a Volkswagen along the road but you need 2,000 HP to even get a dump truck rolling.  So as far as temperature goes you can't really compare coils like that.  Same way you can't compare Horsepower to speed in every case.  I'll bet you could beat a dump truck off the line in your little Volkswagen.  But put a trailer full of cement on the back of your Volkswagen and you aren't going nowhere, lol.  It's not a completely accurate analogy, but you get the picture.

Edited by Bebop

Just now, Bebop said:

High wattage doesn't have to be hot.  It can be but it doesn't follow absolutely.

It's kinda like this.

It takes a lot more power to heat up multiple coils or large coils with thick wire to the same temperature as a smaller thin little wispy coil. It's a numbers game.  Much like it only takes 105 horsepower engine to move a Volkswagen along the road but you need 2,000 HP to even get a dump truck rolling.  So as far as temperature goes you can't really compare coils like that.  Same way you can't compare Horsepower to speed in every case.  I'll bet you could beat a dump truck off the line in your little Volkswagen.  But put a trailer full of cement on the back of your Volkswagen and you aren't going nowhere, lol.  It's not a completely accurate analog but you get the picture.

That's a great way to put it. 

Sounds peaceful.  

Whelp, guitar's all tucked in, and the DAW is shut down for the night.  I'll leave you to the whisper of cooling fans ....

I have to get you to record a track of that piano someday so we can collaborate on a VT soundtrack.  That would be fun.  I hope you're still playing.  

Edited by Bebop

13 minutes ago, Bebop said:

Sounds peaceful.  

Whelp, guitar's all tucked in, and the DAW is shut down for the night.  I'll leave you to the whisper of cooling fans ....

I have to get you to record a track of that piano someday so we can collaborate on a VT soundtrack.  That would be fun.  I hope you're still playing.  

I remember us talking about that. I'd love to do that sometime. 

A little late to the game here, but here it goes.

I use a subtank mini with a 1.2 or 1.5 ohm coil or a nautilus mini with a 1.8 or 1.6, what ever is available, coil at work for stealth vaping so I don't have to go out to the "smoke shack" with the smokers. I pair those with a 50/50 juice at 11mg.

At home I have several tanks in a free form rotation, kind of what ever seems right to use at the time: A Freemaxx Starre that I prefer the .25ohm coils in.  A Melo III Mini currently runnng a .5 ohm coil (waiting for the .75ohm coils to come in to  the VT store). Another subtank mini (the Plus has a torn oring and I can't seem to find a replacement) running a .5 ohm coil. A Ephro morph running kanger .5 coils. I primarily use Black label or a local juice at 70vg/30pg at 3mg.

My wife uses a nautilus mini with the 1.6 or 1.8 ohm coils primarily. I did get her an iPower nano that she has taken a liking to an she prefers the .75 ohm coils over the .3ohm (comes with 1 of each).

When home, or generally not at work, I prefer DL with subohm, but I trade off using a ton of juice by compromising and sticking around .5 ohm even though the Stare with the .25ohm  is my favorite tank. The wife doesn't like it when I fog up the living room while we watch TV. I think I would really enjoy one of the varieties of the Beast tanks, but  don't want to go through as much juice as they are reported to use.