What's the story with high wattage mods?

I am relatively new to vaping, my current favorite set up is a K box mini 75W TC with a Sence Herakles Plus tank .4ohm Clapton coil.

I have been looking at other mods out there and don't understand why someone would buy a mod that goes up to 300w , 200w or even 100w for that matter. Mine goes to 75w and I never run it at even close to that high power. With a .4 coil I keep min set at about 27w. Any higher and it starts to taste burnt and the vape is hot. I have tried different coils and tanks (Kanger top tank sun ohm, Crown 2, Nautilus mini) and the hottest I have ever run my was around 50w. What's the use for these hi wattage output mods?

I know this is a noob question and appreciate the input.

3 hours ago, DenverDave said:

I have been looking at other mods out there and don't understand why someone would buy a mod that goes up to 300w , 200w or even 100w for that matter. Mine goes to 75w and I never run it at even close to that high power. With a .4 coil I keep min set at about 27w. Any higher and it starts to taste burnt and the vape is hot. I have tried different coils and tanks (Kanger top tank sun ohm, Crown 2, Nautilus mini) and the hottest I have ever run my was around 50w. What's the use for these hi wattage output mods?

Good question.

If you drop in two of your .4Ω coils, you can double the power from 27w to 54w and retain roughly the same temperature vape but with (again, roughly) twice the quantity of visible vapor, and hopefully twice the flavor, too.

Now pop on a 12-coil setup (yep...they have 'em) and you can take things upwards of 300w easily. same rough temp with about 12 times the vapor (...and flavor ;)).

5 hours ago, DenverDave said:

I am relatively new to vaping, my current favorite set up is a K box mini 75W TC with a Sence Herakles Plus tank .4ohm Clapton coil.

There are some tanks that use high watts, (the baby beast comes to mind), that use over 100w

Like you I very rarely get over 25w, but I do have 3 dual battery mods that will do over 100w, at the watts I run the dual batteries last a long time.

If you have a car that is capable of 150, doesn't mean you have to drive it that fast.

2 of the mods I use daily are Kanger 75w TC mods with a Subtank mini on top, a very good setup in my opinion.

There are some tanks that use high watts, (the baby beast comes to mind), that use over 100w

Like you I very rarely get over 25w, but I do have 3 dual battery mods that will do over 100w, at the watts I run the dual batteries last a long time.

If you have a car that is capable of 150, doesn't mean you have to drive it that fast.

2 of the mods I use daily are Kanger 75w TC mods with a Subtank mini on top, a very good setup in my opinion.

Yep that makes sence. I have the Kanger 75w TC mod and a TopTank (basically same as sub tank) as well. Got a Sence Herakles Plus tank and will never use the Sub tank again. You should try it... amazing flavor.

2 minutes ago, DenverDave said:

Yep that makes sence. I have the Kanger 75w TC mod and a TopTank (basically same as sub tank) as well. Got a Sence Herakles Plus and will never use the Sub tank again. You should try it... amazing flavor.

I found the flavor using the Kanger vertical factory coils to be lacking in flavor, not so with the Kanger horizontal coils, which Kanger discontinued some time ago. Now I use The RBA in all my Subtank/toptank minis, I can build the RBA to give great flavor, and cloud, and a added bonus is I haven't bought any coils in at least 6 months.

I still use the factory horizontal coils in the Subvods I have, and use sometimes, but I rebuild them.

I found the flavor using the Kanger vertical factory coils to be lacking in flavor, not so with the Kanger horizontal coils, which Kanger discontinued some time ago. Now I use The RBA in all my Subtank/toptank minis, I can build the RBA to give great flavor, and cloud, and a added bonus is I haven't bought any coils in at least 6 months.
I still use the factory horizontal coils in the Subvods I have, and use sometimes, but I rebuild them.

I tried the RBA once and it was an epic fail. Would like to learn how to do it. Do you happen to know a good YouTube instructional video?

Just because all my current mods are rated up to 200-300w doesn't mean I have to vape them that high..9108c5795efb3a66e48afe2c2ff94f61.jpg

Its nice to have that extra power just in case I need it like with the CloudBeast series of tanks at 120-150w or so seen here... 7d4e953e21750f5916f115019841b2a1.jpg and I enjoy the versatility vaping at lower wattages with an RTA as seen here on my RX300 mod.. this particular dual Clapton build Vapes awesome around 75 to 80 Watts, even though I'm vaping it on a 300 watt mod.. there are many more reasons I favor these muli-battery high powered mods, like going for days on a single charge.. [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2017 at 9:39 AM, DenverDave said:

Flavor and vapor production mostly however it gets a little ridiculous. There are only certain types of tanks and coils that can even handle that much power. A lot of it is the marketing gimmick, that everyone wants the most powerful device out there. Most people don't vape anywhere near the 2-300 wattage mark all day long. If you're new you're better off sticking with mods that operate under 100W. Even for intermediate vapers 100W mods work fantastic. It's not too much power while still allowing you to get your feet wet.

I have a Smok GX350.  I really enjoy the mod.  For me it's all about the feel in the hand and the battery life.  If I get the urge to play Locomotive Breath and fire up my Artic V12 @ 110W, I can do so and know my batteries won't be dead in a half hour.  The more typical norm is vaping all day and having half the battery life left. 

I've been Vaping 4 yrs now. And the highest wattage I'd use was about 70-80w, then when I had a hour of a tfv8 I've started Vaping at 130w max. About 70-80 on my bsby beast and 60w on my crown tanks. I never thought I'd go over 80w for nearly 3 years. But late night at home when it's quiet I like chucking dome 240-140w clouds filling the room, my Mrs vape about 40-35w for 2 yrs now. I can't see the point of a tfv12 vaping at 200w and over .

My S5.

52 minutes ago, StephenGeo said:

I can't see the point of a tfv12 vaping at 200w and over .

It's like @FXRich said...just because you have a car that'll go 150 mph doesn't mean you have to drive it 150 mph.  The same holds true for mods and tanks that go well over 100 watts.  Just because a mod will fire down to .01 Ω doesn't mean you have to run a .01 Ω coil.  Just because a mod will go up to 200 or 300 watts doesn't mean you have to use that mod's full potential, which is ultimately the point - potential.  I like the fact that I can run 120 to 150 watts with my Cloud Beasts and I like the fact that I'll be able to push a King Beast up over 250 watts if I want to cloud up my mancave.  At the same time, I like the fact that I can build a 1.8 Ω coil in my LEMO or my Kayfun and run it in the neighborhood of 15-20 watts on the exact same mod if I just want to chill and do some MTL vaping.

Options and potential.  That's the point of being able to run a mod over 200 watts.