Kanger Cupti Coil flooding

gadget

First post so go easy on me. [emoji41]

I'm relatively new at vaping, I quit smoking 10/26/2017 after 45 plus years.

I started on e-cigs and vape pens, then went to a SMOK Stick V8, and recently got a Kanger Cupti.

I really like the Cupti, no leaking, easy to fill, and really great flavor.

Now the problem.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks now and it seemed like the coil was starting to make the juice taste slightly burnt.

I bought a 5 pack of coils and replaced the coil.

Immediately I started getting gurgling in the tank and horrible spitback.

IV thought maybe I primed it to much so I turned it upside down for a while, cleaned out the tube and swabbed the juice from the top of the coil. I put it back in and it was OK for about 2 draws.

I took it out, put the original coil back in and no issues whatsoever.

So I tried another new coil. Same problem. I've tried 3 out of the 5 new coils and they are unusable.

Did I get a bad batch of coils or have they updated the coils and I got a batch of the old ones?

Kanger Cupti

CLOCC 0.5 ohm ss coil

Replacement coils genuine Kanger CLOCC 0.5 ohm ss coils

Thanks in advance

sent from a galaxy far far away

Thanks@Tam
I've read that and several other threads.
That's what leads me to think (and hope) that Kanger has updated the coils and I just got an old batch.
The Cupti is perfect for me other than that.

And I'm a gadget Junkie...
Even being relatively new I have a fair arsenal of toys.
V2 Pro series 3
eLeaf iJust 2 with a SMOK Baby Beast
eLeaf iJust S
SMOK Big Stick V8
SMOK OSUB Plus
Kanger Cupti

Well I'm at a loss now, I heard back from the Vendor and from Kanger.

Short MP3 of the gurgling

Kanger tells me this is normal.

The Vendor (I won't mention here out of respect) had this to say:

"You fill up the tank, use it as you normally would. When you left it alone for a few hours or so and pick it back up, there is leakage from the airflow holes. Upon cleaning it up, there is a noticeable "flutter" in the e-liquid when you vape. It may leak a bit during use at this point. If it does not, after some use, the "fluttering" of e-liquid eases down or stops entirely.

Cotton is absorbent by nature and while the cotton may be soaked with e-liquid already, it will still constantly wick e-liquid regardless of how wet it is. Due to the way atomizer heads are designed, the cotton has contact surface with the actual coil that allows excess e-liquid to leak down into the airflow control base where it pools up over time.

The best way to prevent this is to use a higher wattage/temperature for a few vapes every so often so it allows the device to heat up any excess e-liquid that may leak through the cotton. Give that a try and let us know what you find.
"

I ordered another pack of coils from a different vendor, I am bound determined to make this work!

If your tank looses vacuum it will leak, even a slight air leak at the top of the tank will cause it keep supplying juice to a already soaked wick. It is possible the Cupti was poorly designed to start with.

The Cupti uses the same CLOCC coil that other Kanger tanks use, and the other tanks don't leak. (to the best of my knowledge)

I don't have any tanks that use CLOCC coils so I can't really say much about the coils.

You may have gotten a bad batch of coils, it does happen.

Being you are a gadget junkie you may check into the RBA that is available for the Cupti, you will have to rebuild it yourself, but it may not leak.

For gurgling issues, on many tanks this little trick works well: tilt the tank (mod and all) upside down and, without powering the mod, blow gently into the mouthpiece. This will move the liquid back into the tank from the center post where it accumulated. I do with from time to time in some of my tanks. It might work for you?

For gurgling issues, on many tanks this little trick works well: tilt the tank (mod and all) upside down and, without powering the mod, blow gently into the mouthpiece. This will move the liquid back into the tank from the center post where it accumulated. I do with from time to time in some of my tanks. It might work for you?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2017 at 10:28 PM, Tam said:

I want to add that I tried this and yes it worked but for some people try to tilt it upside down first lol I tilted mine and liquid came out....into my mouth lol 

I pretty much threw the towel in on mine.
I was really hoping it was something I was doing because I like just about everything about the Cupti.

• All in one device
• Large juice capacity
• Doesn't leak
• Nice flavor production
• Size for carrying in your pocket

I've went through a pack and a half of coils now and I'm convinced it is the coils. If I get one that works, it works great. But most of the coils I have used continuously flood.

I have found that I have better luck if I don't prime the coil. I just put the new coil in and let it set for 15 or 20 minutes then hit on it a couple of times without firing it then it's good to go.

When it does get flooded it's like sucking on a soft drink straw.

No matter what I do, if I put the coil that came with it back in it performs flawlessly, absolutely no flooding!
The problem is that coil is slightly burned so it tastes bad. :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Did you take a good look at the O-rings on the coils that leak versus the ones that don't? I seem to remember something like this in the past with different tanks and coils, of course, but it was the O-rings in that, too. In that case, just changing out the O-rings on the coil seemed to do the trick. Might give it a try?

Did you take a good look at the O-rings on the coils that leak versus the ones that don't? I seem to remember something like this in the past with different tanks and coils, of course, but it was the O-rings in that, too. In that case, just changing out the O-rings on the coil seemed to do the trick. Might give it a try?

Thanks Tam, I will take a look at that. At this point I will try anything, I would like to get it to the point that I can use it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your cupti,  I have the Eleaf Lyche which I am using on a Smok Alien Mod.  The tank is a cup design, to essentially eliminate leaking, which I am really fond of.  I am using SS316L coils that are made by Eleaf for the tank.   They initially spit like hellfire at me, until I got the settings right.  I'm not sure what settings you can configure for on the kanger cupti as I haven't used the device, but I have mine running in Temp Control mode, with a TCR setting of .00138.  Once I got the TCR setting right, I've had nearly no spit back issues since.  (Unless I was stupid and left the fill hole open, then tried to vape while it was still open.  which will flood the coil EVERY time.  I am prone to do that sort of stupidity from time to time :))  

It seems to me that the SS coils take some extra fidgeting to get them to work properly, in my limited experience.  Once they're right, they perform rather well.  Here is a picture of my baby:

IMG_0459.thumb.jpg.4e3852727e787b9925bf9253e336ada2.jpg

Edited by TheFinz

I'll be honest with you, since I got the Alien Skyhook I haven't even messed with the Cupti. This thing Rocks!

I will get it out this weekend and try @Tam instructions and yours as well and report back.

Thanks for the tips.

• 3 months later...

This topic may be old but I have some insight on this issue for anyone interested. I have been a huge fan of the Cupti for about a year. I have 4 or 5 devices but I always come back to the Cupti. I think it's a great all around device. Great flavor, superior coil life, durable (dropped it more than once) and so comfortable to hold and fire.

Imagine my disappointment when I recommended one to my son and it had this flooding spitting issue. I started him on a cheap vape pen and he was pumped to receive the Cupti after using mine for a few days. He has been cig free for 6 months now. All went well for a few puffs but as soon as he set it down for a few minutes it flooded big time. I gave him mine to use and messed with his FOREVER to no avail. I tried to return it but I was given all kinds of grief from the vendor who shall remain nameless. I ordered ANOTHER one from a different vendor in a different color. Surely I couldn't get two bad ones right? Wrong...

While I was waiting for the second one to come I did some in depth research and came across what others have mentioned. If you have an AIR leak anywhere in the system, you WILL have a juice leak. It's inevitable. If you don't have a vacuum the juice won't stay suspended in the tank. So let's find the air leak!

I took the chimney out, attached and inflated balloon to the drip tip and put it in water. Ever 15 seconds or so a bubble formed from the BOTTOM of the coil where the contact meets the bottom of the coil. I found that if I applied light pressure to the bottom of the coil with my finger while still in the water the bubbles stopped. So.... figuring I had nothing to lose I put it together and screwed it down HARD. Much harder than I would normally be comfortable with.

INSTANT PERFECTION! Subsequent refills I have just screwed it down normally. I haven't changed a coil yet so I don't know if I will have to screw a new coil in hard to seat it or not.

PART II

The new one arrived and of course had the same issue. No problem, I know what to do now! Wrong. It didn't work.

I gave this one to a friend who also has a Cupti. He loves to tinker with this stuff. He took a different approach. The first thing he did was swap chimney's with his working Cupti and my bad one. The new chimney leaked no matter where it was and his old one worked in either device. This limited the problem to the new chimney, not the whole device.

He then cleaned both chimneys and inspected then closely side by side to find the difference. What he found was that there is a groove about an 1/8" below the top gasket. On his (and mine) old unit there is an O ring. On the new one, just a groove, no ring. He pulled an O ring from one of his extra drip tips and placed it in this groove. Problem solved.

It's been about 3 weeks now and both of the new units are working perfectly. Not a single spit or gurgle.

So if you are reading this considering a Cupti, you are probably going to be scared to pull the trigger which is understandable but still a shame. If on the other hand  you already have one and it's spitting I hope one or both of these fixes work for you.

Hope this helps someone. As I said, once you get a Cupti firing properly it is a joy :)

4 hours ago, FXRich said:

In my opinion the juppi is a better setup than the cupti, it only holds 3ml compared to 5ml, but it will accept any 22mm tank with a 510 connection.

My gal really likes the Juppi, too... It does have a leakage problem if the Juppi coil is not wicked perfectly, but the best part is the fact the mod works perfectly with the subtank mini or nano.  The mini fills the "seat" fully, and the nano is the right height to be even with the top of the mod.  My only complaint on it is the placement of the fire-button... not fond of it being on the side, but then again, it's hers now, so it's not something I have to deal with anymore :) 

• 4 months later...

Ok guys I have the solution to your Kanger leaking/gurgling problems. This is what I did.....

If you take the top off, you will see the grooves underneath the top where it is supposed to screw in. In some devices there is an o ring placed in the top groove. Mine did not have one! So I got one from my local vape store and put it there myself. The actual problem is with air leaking into the chamber. If you put an o ring there, you will have no more problems! There is a video about this.. here is the link 

you're welcome. 😉