Battery Safety Question

SteveH

With all the stories floating around, either exploitive or real with batteries exploding, I am curious.... Are these "incidents" generally with mechanical mods, incorrect builds and bad/"cheap" batteries?   I have one mechanical mod that I've pretty much stopped using over the past year and pretty much only use a Wismec RX2/3, older Sigelei 150, Eleaf Pico and a Smok Alien regulated mods.  I buy my batteries at my local B&M store, which I am comfortable with their reliability and honesty.  They are a chain organization with about 15 stores around the area.

Am I pretty much safe, assuming their batteries are not fakes, etc. and my builds are between .2-.8 ohms on my mods?  I generally don't vape more than 55 watts, unless I put together a .2-.3 dual build, then I'll take it up to 90 watts or so.

Generally, when we get more information about the exploding battery, we discover that the person who got hurt was carrying a loose battery in his pocket with change, keys, other metal objects, and it created a situation where the battery shorted out. In the case of a woman who put her extra battery in her purse, she thought it was safe because she put it into a separate pocket in the purse and didn't have the battery safely in a protective case. In this situation, I believe her keys were the culprit.

If you're using good batteries in your mod, taking care to lock the mech mod before putting it down/away when not in use, carrying your spare batteries in a case to keep it from coming into  contact with metal... you should be okay. Of course, there are always instances of bad batteries, malfunctioning mods, etc. but those are pretty rare if you take the proper precautions.

Everything I've seen outside of the media selling cokes indicates that it has to be unregulated mods, ripped or torn batteries, etc.  Here's a great video showing just hard it would be to make a battery blow up:   

I think you would really have to work at getting a regulated mod to have a catastrophic battery failure.