Help with ohms?

CTrail

I have a question about that ohms i should be running. The mod i have is a dual 18650 parallel mech mod (mod attached in a picture). All these ohms calculators and guides are pretty confusing to me and i was hoping someone could give me a good rages of safe ohms i can run. Thanks!

0fcf0e4fe06b5cdf0afb27c8fdf3bbe5.jpg

Just now, CTrail said:

I have a question about that ohms i should be running. The mod i have is a dual 18650 parallel mech mod (mod attached in a picture). All these ohms calculators and guides are pretty confusing to me and i was hoping someone could give me a good rages of safe ohms i can run. Thanks!

Specifically what batteries are you using?  Brand and model (for example LG HG2, Samsung 25R, Sony VTC5)?

@Christopher beat me to it (almost ).  Those are Panasonic NCR18650B batteries.  I have three words: Get New Batteries.  Even with the 3400 mah (actually tested closer to 3200 mah) they are only rated by the company at something like 6.5 amps.  They were tested closer to 4.9 amps.  I personally wouldn't even use those batteries in the tactical flashlight on my AR-15.

I recommend any of the batteries I mentioned in my initial response.  There are others as well, but those batteries are all definitely good to go.  After you get new batteries, either I or another member can give a better explanation of what would be a safe build with an unregulated mod.

That's a panasonic NCR18650B its only rated at 4.87 amp continuous discharge rate, About a .8 ohm coil or above would be safe.

Looks like Adversarious beat me to it

Edited by FXRich

11 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

@Christopher beat me to it (almost ).  Those are Panasonic NCR18650B batteries.  I have three words: Get New Batteries.  Even with the 3400 mah (actually tested closer to 3200 mah) they are only rated by the company at something like 6.5 amps.  They were tested closer to 4.9 amps.  I personally wouldn't even use those batteries in the tactical flashlight on my AR-15.

What's wrong with these Panasonics, Adversarious? I use them in my mods, but then I use 1.8 ohm coils with them.

1 minute ago, Tam said:

What's wrong with these Panasonics, Adversarious? I use them in my mods, but then I use 1.8 ohm coils with them.

@Tam  at your 1.8 ohms you are fine because you aren't drawing many amps.  Are you using them in regulated or unregulated mods?  As @FXRich mentioned, the continuous discharge rate is very low.  You can use a coil that is as low as .5 ohms, but not for very long.  There will be considerable performance drop-off.  Also, the OP mentioned they were given to him, so they likely weren't new and likely aren't performing at peak specs.  Better safe than sorry in my opinion, especially when it comes to unregulated mech mods.  I don't want to see another news story of an e-cig exploding because they are "dangerous" when it was probably user error due to a build too low for the batteries to handle safely.  I don't even build lower than .5 ohms in my RDA's when I'm using them on my mechs mods with Samsung or LG batteries.  

14 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

@Tam  at your 1.8 ohms you are fine because you aren't drawing many amps.  Are you using them in regulated or unregulated mods?  As @FXRich mentioned, the continuous discharge rate is very low.  You can use a coil that is as low as .5 ohms, but not for very long.  There will be considerable performance drop-off.  Also, the OP mentioned they were given to him, so they likely weren't new and likely aren't performing at peak specs.  Better safe than sorry in my opinion, especially when it comes to unregulated mech mods.  I don't want to see another news story of an e-cig exploding because they are "dangerous" when it was probably user error due to a build too low for the batteries to handle safely.  I don't even build lower than .5 ohms in my RDA's when I'm using them on my mechs mods with Samsung or LG batteries.  

In my unregulated mech mods I use authentic Sony VTC4s. The Panasonics go into my regulated mods.

10 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Back a few years ago I ran those batteries in a Evic, and ran 1.8 coils in a KPT2. Never got above 10 watts which is a 2.4 amp drain, well within the 4.8 amp limit of the battery. I ran them because of the longer battery life.

Exactly. 1.8 ohm factory coils in a KPT2 on a regulated mod.  Not an unregulated box mod or unregulated single 18650 mod with an RDA on it being used by someone who is admittedly confused by ohms, has used batteries that he doesn't know the history of and is openly asking for guidance.