DIYers - Flavor choices and Preferences

Bebop

Milton the Monster....

Okay.  What I learned this week is that I'm a total NEWB when it comes to mixing.

I'm doing great with single flavors. No problem there.  I can get the ratios I like, the proper nic and good single flavors that rival the best.   I've made a great vanilla custard.  A good carmel cappuccino. A good french vanilla. Peach? No problem.

The problem comes with mixing flavors.  In general, the problem is, when I mix peanut butter with banana I end up with something that is "in between".  It's neither peanut butter nor banana.  It washes out in to something non distinct.  It's not horrible and it's totally vapable.  But it doesn't have that separation that I'm looking for. It's kind of monotone.

And that seems to generally happen when I'm marrying flavors.

I don't know if this is a percentage issue or a flavor issue, or if it's tastebuds or what.  Kind of perplexing.  

I'll keep at it.  But it feels like I'm searxhing for the Holy Grail here!

I don't DIY, but my local B&M mixes their own flavors. I have noticed that the combo flavors are better, more distinction from each flavor, after they sit for some where between a couple weeks and a month. I always ask if they are a fresh batch or not before I get them. They have not yet figured out that I get an extra bottle or 2 of the single flavors every time the combos are freshly mixed. I let the combo flavors sit for a few weeks before I use them. I used to do the same with Comps Hydrabones after it was suggested here.

On 2/24/2017 at 10:53 AM, Bebop said:

Walt! Come on buddy!

Fearless Fly

Underdog!

Whacky Racers!

Heckle and Jeckle!

The list goes on!

Tom Slick

Super Chicken

George of the Jungle

Fractured Fairy Tales

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Dudley Do Right

and the one @Bebopteased us with...Milton the Monster

Yes, the list does go on.

• 1 month later...

So, I've been experimenting with sweetners.

Boy a little goes a long way.  Ive been playing with  very low percentages to as much as 1% (1 ml/100ml)

The sweetspot (haha) for me seems to be slightly less than 1% to about .5% depending on the juice.  Now, I actually don't enjoy sweet sweet juices. 

Some flavors appear to come  presweetened.  I generally don't touch those.  Some flavors I don't find compatible with sweeteners. 

But the ones that are, I've noticed I have a pretty fine line where the sweetness is acceptable.  As sweetener is increased, original flavor is lost and then you reach a point where the sweetener takes over and the "flavor" is just sweet with barely any notes of the original flavor.  

Im bringing this up because, besides banana, I do not use fruity flavors and I have a batch of new flavors coming all from the fruits category so I'm embarking on a new set of flavors and plan on using sweeteners to some degree.

Because of the highly different flavor profiles of fruits, I'm expecting possibly different results with the use of sweeteners. 

I haven't experimented with different sweetners.  Nor with flavors expected to provide sweetness like cotton candy or marshmallow or things like that. 

2 hours ago, Bebop said:

So, I've been experimenting with sweetners.

My experience, which is very little experience, lol with fruits is that like you have found a very little sweetener goes a long way.  With most recipes I use none at all.  I have one that I used .5% just to take the tart edge off.  Most fruits provide enough natural sweetness for me.   For a smoother feel with a little sweetness I will use sweet cream. 

Have successfully made a strawberry banana cream now and a wild blueberry cream.  Both are great

Still having fits with the sweetener.  I've got the amounts down now but boy,  I'm surprised how just a tiny amount turns my juice into a coil killer.   Debating it's use altogether now.  I have one juice that's pretty good with a little sweetener but literally my coils go bad in about 5 -10 mils.  Ouch.