The more you read the more confusing it gets

Uncivil11

Perhaps it's me but I find the more I read the more confusing vaping gets. I have been doing this a couple of years now and I am finding what I thought I knew I'm not sure what I know? [emoji848] most of what I am finding out there is in my opinion outdated information that hasn't kept up with the technology. Any recommendations on sources for the basics or someone very patient to make some basic things make sense to my simple mind? Maybe someone knowledgeable that would entertain pms on a question and answer base or here in the thread. I have spent the last few days just muddying up already murky water in my search for knowledge of vaping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm perfectly fine with that.. glad ya asked ! Sometimes I ramble on and I know what I want to ask but finding the correct way to phrase can be a challenge. Makes googling things exciting! For that reason I generally do t belong to many groups and end up lurking more than talking. But heck I'm so interested and confused.

I guess I have always vape the same and now I want to broaden my knowledge. I have a hard time remembering some stuff but I'm trying. I started like 2 years ago with a hand me down from a friend. He was like here use this and do that and I guess I learned this is just how it is. But now I'm experiencing and trying different things and getting more confused. It hit me the other day when buying coils for my baby beast. The gal at the shop was like what resistance ya want? My response is uhhhhhhhhhhhhh I dunno. Gimme 3 of what ya got because I can't remember what I have now or what I liked. So it made me think I need to get basic. And figure everything out from the start. Odd thing is I am sitting here looking at 3 different mods and 5 different tanks on my desk I've tried some different things but my list of what I like is way shorter of what I didn't like. I think.

I'm going to step into this almost question by question because information overload if I ask to many at once

So I look up information on coils. All given for the same tank what type of difference should I see with the different resistances? Right now I have a couple baby beasts and the current is .4 coils. What should I expect for higher and lower?

1 hour ago, Uncivil11 said:

So I look up information on coils. All given for the same tank what type of difference should I see with the different resistances? Right now I have a couple baby beasts and the current is .4 coils. What should I expect for higher and lower?

If you wait awhile Adversarious, our baby beast expert might chime in, and tell you what you need to know.

I have the big baby beast on the v8 stick and 2 little baby beasts the coils really depend on the air flow u enjoy. I still can't remember the names so I just say stuff like the one with only one hole in the coil or do u have the one with 4 little holes in the coil. Lol

Sent from my SC-1010JBBT using The Vapor Talk mobile app

While we await the return of Obi-Wan I will offer this.  It seems confusing because it is confusing.  In general, per the electrical characteristics of a coil, lower resistances require more power than higher resistances.  That is one consideration.  As per @DWrainbowvaper36 every coil has a different airflow, consideration #2.  I have seen some coil designs that are simply a bad idea.  Horizontec Sextuplet coil comes to mind.  Three tiny coil builds that mount into one base and don't make a good connection all of the time.  And of course there's cost.  Some of these wiz-bang coils cost an arm and a leg.  I like to use google to check out the cost of a replacement coil before buying a tank.  A friend gave me a HorizonTec Artic.  I found out why.  I had to take out a mortgage to replace the coil. 

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I like to use google to check out the cost of a replacement coil before buying a tank.  A friend gave me a HorizonTec Artic.  I found out why.  I had to take out a mortgage to replace the coil. 

Ahh, the Arctic... I received one free for review... It was mediocre at best, but lack of being able to disassemble it for cleaning or replacing the glass if it broke were the biggest turn offs initially... and then there were the insane costs of coil replacements... yep, it was one I used ONLY through the coils that came with it.  My Subtank mini's out perform it, and the coils don't cost as much as a used Toyota... lol

7 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

Ahh, the Arctic

The turbo is hilarious.  Gotta love the wiz-bang little propeller in the top.  A convention of those things would sound being attacked by a herd of humming birds.  Talk about revenge of the nerds!  I got one of those at a Wild Wednesday sale at Wild Bill's smoke shop.  Five bucks.  I don't think it will ever see juice but it makes a great conversation piece as a "modern marvel".  And the verbiage on the packaging from the marketing geniuses.  OMG!  Priceless!  

16 hours ago, Uncivil11 said:

Never fear, the apparent resident expert is here.  (Those are other people's assertions, not mine.  I just happen to love the TFV8 line of tanks and have done a lot of research on them).

Before I go into detail with an answer to your questions, I'll start by saying that @DWrainbowvaper36basically hit the nail on the head that the biggest differences in coils are airflow.  Honestly, the airflow differences between the coils are the biggest differences.

Now, the more subtle differences in the coils have to do mostly with the actual number of coils in the assemblies.  I'll break it down by the name of each coil for you:

• T8 coil: This is an octocoil (this means there are 8 distinct coils in the assembly).  The T8 is rated at .15 ohms and can handle anywhere from 50W - 110W, depending on how warm or cool you prefer your vapor to be.  With the octocoil you are going to get most likely get the most vapor.  There is more surface are contacting the cotton and the higher wattage capability of this coil will vaporize more liquid as a result.  However, due to the higher wattages necessary to run this coil in an effective range you are going to experience a faster drain on your batteries.
  • T6 coil: This is a sextuple coil (6 distinct coils in the assembly).  It is rated at .2 ohms and can handle anywhere from 40W - 130W, depending on how warm or cool you prefer your vapor to be.  Contrary to what physics would tell us about the resistance and how many watts should be able to run through it, this coil can actually be run slightly higher than the T8 coils, thus producing a warmer vape.  With the sextuple coil you are going to get vapor that is almost but not quite as prevalent as the octocoil.  The flavor will be slightly better.  The assembly is identical to that of the T8, so airflow is the same.
  • X4 coil: This is a quadruple coil (4 distinct coils in the assembly).  It is rated at .15 ohms and can handle anywhere from 30W - 70W, depending on how warm or cool you prefer your vapor.  The housing is different than that of the T8/T6 housing and has less restrictive (more) airflow.  If you like higher airflow then this particular housing is the way to go.  With this coil you will get a nice balance between vapor and flavor, but if you are a mouth to lung vaper then it definitely isn't for you.  (In fact, if you are MTL then the baby beast probably isn't for you anyway, although it is possible.)
  • Q2 coil (both options): The Q2 coil is both unique and confusing.  It comes is two different resistance variations, a .4 ohm dual coil and a .6 phm dual coil.  The .4 ohm version is rated from 40W - 80W while the .6 ohm is rated from 30W - 50W.  Both coils use the same housing as the X4 and have a lot of airflow.  Flavor is, in my opinion, superior with these coils but vapor production tapers off considerably compared to the T8, T6 and X4.  These will also produce a much cooler vape than the others mentioned so far.
  • There are two new drop in coils coming out that will also be confusing, the M8 coils.  This is another dual coil that is available in resistances .15 and .25 ohms.  I would imagine these are probably going to be rated in the same range as the X4, but I cannot confirm that at this point.  From pictures I have seen they also seem to use the same housing as the X4 and Q2 coils, so airflow will be high.
  • RBA deck: The RBA deck for the Baby Beast comes with dual claptons pre-installed.  The dual claptons are rated at .35 ohm resistance and can handle anywhere from 30-60 watts.  The claptons will help with both vapor and flavor production because of the way they are constructed (more surface area and the "why" a clapton works better than a standard coil is an entirely different topic).  After the claptons have run their course you can pretty much build whatever you want on it, which is nice because it means you can use nickel, titanium or stainless steel and use the Baby Beast on a TC mod (unless you have one of the very few mods on the market that will run kanthal in TC mode).

To sum all of that information up, higher resistance will mean less vapor, but better flavor.  Lower resistance will mean more vapor, but flavor will be sacrificed.  However, as someone who has used the Baby Beast extensively, you really can't go wrong as far as flavor is concerned.  If you have seen my video review of the tank, they should have called it the "Flavor Beast", because it really packs a punch where flavor is concerned no matter which coil you are using.  You will have to make sure the mod you are using will fire down to .15 ohms, but most mods that have been introduced in the last couple of years will fire down that far.  

With the lower resistance/higher wattage combination you are going to be drawing more amps and the length of time your batteries last before needing to be charged will be less than with the higher resistance/lower wattage.  You will also notice much more liquid being consumed with the lower resistance/higher wattage coils than with the higher resistance/lower wattage coils.  Add in the fact the Baby Beast is only a 3ml tank and you will be refilling it often, even if you choose to go with the .6 ohm Q2 coil.  

Hope I cleared things up a little bit and didn't make anything any muddier than it was.  Really the choice is going to be based on how much airflow you like, how warm or cool you prefer your vapor and the amount of vapor you want to produce.  

@Adversarious1 thank you for that info I really needed to learn as well. I was enlightened and was sitting over here like oh yeah that makes sense. I ran the lush on a cuboid for a year and the isub tank on the cool fire 4 and kept going back to smoking. Then I found the baby beast and I have been in love with the flavor since day one. I have now been smoke free for 3 months and don't even crave ciggs. I still like to play with my other vape toys and build my coils but I and using my V8 stick 90% of the day.

Sent from my SC-1010JBBT using The Vapor Talk mobile app

Honestly that was exactly what I was wanting to know. You summed it up if I read it right. People go with lower resistance to get better flavor. They crank up the wattage for vapor production.

Lower ohms more flavor
Higher wattage more cloud

So all of these high wattage mods. They want big cloud with big flavor? Now I'm carrying a vapor flask 150w and I couldn't imagine pushing it that high nor have I seen coils that high. How ever I am making an assumption here they this is to increase the available overhead so to speak? If I have a 150w capable device and only running at 40w then theoretically I am only pushing it less that 50% of its ability? If I am on track here then knowing I am not really pushing it then I would be well suited with a sub 100 watt mod? It makes me think of driving a Ferrari only in the school zones. I may be able to go 150 mph but it's not likely.

Honestly that was exactly what I was wanting to know. You summed it up if I read it right. People go with lower resistance to get better flavor. They crank up the wattage for vapor production.

Lower ohms more flavor
Higher wattage more cloud

So all of these high wattage mods. They want big cloud with big flavor? Now I'm carrying a vapor flask 150w and I couldn't imagine pushing it that high nor have I seen coils that high. How ever I am making an assumption here they this is to increase the available overhead so to speak? If I have a 150w capable device and only running at 40w then theoretically I am only pushing it less that 50% of its ability? If I am on track here then knowing I am not really pushing it then I would be well suited with a sub 100 watt mod? It makes me think of driving a Ferrari only in the school zones. I may be able to go 150 mph but it's not likely.

Aww heck I reread got it backwards.

Low ohms more vapor less flavor. High watts more vapor less flavor. With lower ohms you need less wattage for similar vapor and flavor? But possibly a cooler vapor?

1 hour ago, Edna said:

@Adversarius1

Well put as always! thank you! :thumbsup:  

Did the baby beast come with the RBA deck? or, did you have to order it?  

The Baby Beast and the Big Baby do not come with RBA decks.  The Cloud Beast comes with two coils (The large version of the T8 and the large version of the Q4.  The new TFV12 Cloud Beast King will be available with two options:  The tank and three different factory coils OR the tank and the RBA deck, but it won't be available with both the factory coils and the RBA deck.  I'm sure you'll be able to purchase the RBA deck seperately, though.

1 hour ago, Uncivil11 said:

Aww heck I reread got it backwards.

Low ohms more vapor less flavor. High watts more vapor less flavor. With lower ohms you need less wattage for similar vapor and flavor? But possibly a cooler vapor?

You almost have it.  You are associating ohms with flavor and watts with vapor.  It's like comparing apples with oranges.  Both are fruit, but they provide different flavors and different vitamins.

Higher resistance (higher ohms) + lower wattage = more flavor (in a VERY general sense.  There is MUCH more to it than coil resistance and the power you are using.)

Lower resistance (lower ohms) + Higher wattage = more vapor (again, in a VERY general sense.  There is more to producing vapor than just plopping in a .15 coil and cranking the watts up to 125.

You almost have it.  You are associating ohms with flavor and watts with vapor.  It's like comparing apples with oranges.  Both are fruit, but they provide different flavors and different vitamins.

Higher resistance (higher ohms) + lower wattage = more flavor (in a VERY general sense.  There is MUCH more to it than coil resistance and the power you are using.)

Lower resistance (lower ohms) + Higher wattage = more vapor (again, in a VERY general sense.  There is more to producing vapor than just plopping in a .15 coil and cranking the watts up to 125.

b1108157d4d79f67c38bf85d2d5919fc.jpg

I still eat mud I suppose lol.

I guess what I'm trying to wrap my head around is this. Same mod same battery same tank. Generally speaking .4 coil... I crank up wattage and I get more vapor and flavor seems to weaken. I like the vapo at 40 watts like the lung feel flavor is ok but I chain vape lung hits and it gets hot quick. Turn down watts not so hot but weaker vapor and flavor is ok...different but ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Uncivil11 said:

Ordered some RDA decks today hopefully winding my own will vibe me the vape I desire

Lots of great videos on Youtube and lost of willing to help folks here when you're ready, so don't be shy.  Ask any questions you have and we shall answer.