Two more tools for the insufferable geek

Walt

Top of the morning all!  Another beautiful day to vape!

Just a couple of useful tools that are multi purpose and lend themselves nicely to building. 

Bandage Scissors:  Made for cutting cotton.  Won't pinch fine strands.  Smooth, precise cutting especially for trimming. 

Otoscope:  These are sweet for the price.  My audiologist even uses one.  Great for a close inspection of those tiny build decks. 

Scissors.JPG

Dr Mom.JPG

Too cool!  Never thought of those.  I'm like a little kid in a candy store.  My ultras cleaner finally came in and I'm busy cleaning everything today including my glasses.  That was probably a mistake.  Now I'm seeing smudges on everything.

I actually had the optivisor because I build scale models (cars, tanks, planes, etc.)  Some of the parts I work with are very small, so those help.  I merely took a tool in my box that was intended for one thing and adapted it for another.  Sort of like what you're doing. ;)

38 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

I actually had the optivisor because I build scale models (cars, tanks, planes, etc.)  Some of the parts I work with are very small, so those help.  I merely took a tool in my box that was intended for one thing and adapted it for another.  Sort of like what you're doing.

Pretty much exactly the same thing.  I had the scissors from when I served as an EMT (30 years ago) and the scope was purchased to keep my hearing aids clean.

13 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

I use an optivisor when I make clapton wire or helix...anything where I'm using a drill and wrapping wire around wire.  

optivisor.PNG.49e52cf834adced220f748d7a91aaee1.PNG

I have a pair of these I use when working on my mechanical clocks. It's nerdy looking, but they're the best damn things I ever purchased for working on small parts. Bonus: Eye protection when a part comes flying at you.  

42 minutes ago, cany said:

I have the glasses and one of these also

I think the lighted stand magnifier is where I will end up also. I just need to get up enough never to brave Walmart. 

47 minutes ago, cany said:

I have the glasses and one of these alsoa-unique-sierra-tools-jb5308-lighted-mag

+1 on the magnification lamp... best accessory "tool" I ever purchased 30-yrs ago...lol.  

I use to use it when soldering small circuit boards, but now I use it now for my latest hobby of vintage watch repairs and refurbishing.  I also use it occasionally when I need a better view of a coil build/deck, too.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade to one of the "daylight-white" LED ring-lamps, like you pictured... the one I'm using now works with a standard 40W appliance bulb :(

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

I think the lighted stand magnifier is where I will end up also. I just need to get up enough never to brave Walmart. 

You can also get them at Michael's craft store and if you go on their website and sign up for their emails you get a coupon for 50% off a regularly priced item (you can limit the emails you get or cancel after you print the coupon ;) )

1 minute ago, Edna said:

You can also get them at Michael's craft store and if you go on their website and sign up for their emails you get a coupon for 50% off a regularly priced item (you can limit the emails you get or cancel after you print the coupon

@Edna  You have got be the queen of finding the best deal out there.  Michael's is much more palatable than Wallyworld.

59 minutes ago, Walt said:

@Edna  You have got be the queen of finding the best deal out there.  Michael's is much more palatable than Wallyworld.

@Walt

I'm on a really tight budget so I know how to make pennies scream for mercy because I pinch them so hard LOL.

I just refuse to buy junk because in the long run you waste money, Yes, Michael's is better than wally-world and they stand behind their products better too :)

1 hour ago, Earthling789 said:

+1 on the magnification lamp... best accessory "tool" I ever purchased 30-yrs ago...lol.  

I use to use it when soldering small circuit boards, but now I use it now for my latest hobby of vintage watch repairs and refurbishing.  I also use it occasionally when I need a better view of a coil build/deck, too.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade to one of the "daylight-white" LED ring-lamps, like you pictured... the one I'm using now works with a standard 40W appliance bulb :(

@Earthling789  Try Michael's like I told @Walt about.  You're going to love the difference in the lighting it's easier on your eyes and details will pop better. I use one for jewelry making and also when I paint miniatures.  Can you fix an old timex? I have my Aunts that ran forever but died recently and I'd be happy to pay you :) (and no, it's not the battery lol)

Edited by Edna

47 minutes ago, Edna said:

I'm on a really tight budget so I know how to make pennies scream for mercy because I pinch them so hard LOL.

I just refuse to buy junk because in the long run you waste money, Yes, Michael's is better than wally-world and they stand behind their products better too

@Edna  Being frugal is a beatitude!  I know some very wealthy people and they got that way by making money work for them.  Just like yourself, they have a tendency to buy better quality less often and so their homework on prices.  My thing is taking care of stuff.  I have many things that were made by Moses and still in like new condition.  I really do not like buying more than once if I can help it.  

10 hours ago, Edna said:

Try Michael's like I told @Walt You're going to love the difference in the lighting it's easier on your eyes and details will pop better. I use one for jewelry making and also when I paint miniatures.  Can you fix an old timex? I have my Aunts that ran forever but died recently and I'd be happy to pay you :) (and no, it's not the battery lol)

I have to go to the neighboring town this week, so I'll check them out and see what they have.  I'd really love a better, LED model, and one with dual magnification would be fantastic!

As for fixing an old Timex, it really depends on the level of damage.  I've been finding that broken main-springs seem to be the primary reason any mechanical watch fails... usually from over-winding them, and honestly, finding parts is a bigger challenge than actually fixing them.  I have a Caravelle 10K RG hand-wind watch on my desk right now with broken mainspring, and NOS replacements are retailing twice what the watch is worth, even with the rolled-gold :( 

I'd love to be able to fix it for you, but sadly, it's probably not economical to fix?  Now, if you find another one like it, or one with the same (working) mechanism, and possibly a bad case/crystal... swapping the mechanism is a really cheap and easy fix :) and I'd be happy to do that for you at no charge.  I know it has sentimental value to you, but in reality, replacing the mechanism is easier and cheaper than repairing it.

To give you an idea of my plate at the moment... all these are quartz watches except the one on the bottom... it's a Sterling Silver Ladies Orient automatic (Japan hand-assembled, self-winding) mechanism from the late 60's.

• Bulova Marine Star - repaired broken rotating bezel and bad water-seal - swapped bad black dial mechanism for the working Swiss Longwood mechanism with champagne dial ( I think it looks 100% better this way), and I'll probably replace the band with a genuine Bulova deployment leather band.
  • Bulova Marine Star - broken band repaired/sized, replaced crystal and cleaned it (it's a gift for my oldest son's birthday, as it was manufactured the year he was born).
  • Wenger 200M Diver- replaced battery and new rubber dive-band - needs replacing of crystal, crown, and stem (so far, I think it is all it needs)
  • Victornox 300M Certified Diver - replacing crystal, band, battery, and water-seals to return it to full dive-certification (for me to wear diving/snorkeling)
  • Wenger 100M officer's dress - replacing crown/stem and cleaning
  • Wenger 100M Field - just needs battery, already cleaned it
  • Bulova Marine Star - already cleaned and replaced water-seals, just needs new battery
  • Wenger 50M Infantry - replaced domed crystal, cleaned, new battery, water-seal (this one is ready to wear for my youngest son)
  • Orient 17 Jewel auto - mechanism is stuck due to age and lack of maintenance... I'll disassemble, clean, oil, and re-assemble... probably have to touch-up the dial as well as replace the acrylic crystal, but the band is sterling silver, so it's worth repairing... and it's for my fiance's collection.

58a1e54742cdf_IMG_20170213_1126546971.thumb.jpg.b39dd6a17c4ad361fe97e0590bf6e605.jpg

Edited by Earthling789
spelling

@Earthling789  Thanks a million ...you're right there's no good reason to fix the timex except it was my aunts. You seem to have a ton on your plate they're beautiful watches. I'll bet it's fun scouring sales for items to fix.  Once I get moved and such I might just take you up in your offer but I will pay you please ...

5 hours ago, Walt said:

@Edna  Being frugal is a beatitude!  I know some very wealthy people and they got that way by making money work for them.  Just like yourself, they have a tendency to buy better quality less often and so their homework on prices.  My thing is taking care of stuff.  I have many things that were made by Moses and still in like new condition.  I really do not like buying more than once if I can help it.  

@Walt I use and reuse and then use things for other things too. I take care of things to the point of ridiculous... for example I still have a pair of hiking boots that I got when I was thirteen (resoled once or twice) but I've had them for 35+ years.  I can't help it it's the way I was raised. My parents were depression babies and they drilled it into me. It's not a bad quality at all :)

Thanks @Walt!  I never intended to start refurbishing or repairing watches, but I had a couple of old ones that needed crystal replacements and the local watch shop wanted $25 to replace a $5-10 crystal, and he always pushed for the full $50-75 service with OEM parts and cleaning, so I decided to "try" it myself... turns out it's not that hard, after you buy a few specialty tools, lol.  But, like vaping, it is turning into an expensive hobby, and I'm getting quite the stock-pile of "parts" :( 

I started out with half-a-dozen decent watches that I wore regularly (Seiko, Bulova, Invicta)... now I have more than 30 "working" and "wearable" pieces from many Swiss and Japanese manufacturers, and my fiance' has more than a dozen she can wear for anything from scuba-diving to black-tie events :)  The highest value watch I've refurbished so far is a Swiss 14K-RG Carl F. Bucherer (with original leather band) that I picked up for < $10 at a thrift-store, and after fixing it, I found out it is worth over $1500!  My fiance' refuses to wear it for fear of having it stolen or breaking it  :wallbash:

2 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

I started out with half-a-dozen decent watches that I wore regularly (Seiko, Bulova, Invicta)... now I have more than 30 "working" and "wearable" pieces from many Swiss and Japanese manufacturers, and my fiance' has more than a dozen she can wear for anything from scuba-diving to black-tie events :)  The highest value watch I've refurbished so far is a Swiss 14K-RG Carl F. Bucherer (with original leather band) that I picked up for < $10 at a thrift-store, and after fixing it, I found out it is worth over $1500!  My fiance' refuses to wear it for fear of having it stolen or breaking it

That is just da-bomb!  A nice watch is such a wonderful touch of class.  Shows an appreciation for fine materials and fine workmanship.  The Bucherer and an SX G-class mini would be stunning together! 

4 minutes ago, Walt said:

A nice watch is such a wonderful touch of class.  Shows an appreciation for fine materials and fine workmanship.

You are so right, Walt... I went nearly 30 years without wearing a watch (after my Pulsar chronograph was stolen in college), and one day I said "hey, I'd like a nice watch to wear"... so ... and then the obsession began :) 

My fiance' think's I'm a bit crazy over my watches... she still reminds me that I can wear only one at a time... but she's starting to come around... she's beginning to see the appeal of having choices for all occasions, including ones you can wear working on the farm or playing in the ocean.... She even picked out the watch I wore to her aunt's 40th wedding anniversary dinner over the weekend, telling me "this one looks sophisticated and will look good with your tie" :D