Irish/British researchers complete first Long-Term e-cig study

Earthling789

This is news we knew already, but science is beginning to prove what we already knew

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0207/850694-e-cigarettes/

There's no mention on the devices used, nicotine strengths, etc., but even if the e-cig devices used were not regulated/controlled, the results appear to be the same :D

Contrast this to an article on MSN.com today (corroborated by the SUN in a similar article), which cites info that is years old, as "today's facts about teen dripping craze", simply because the study was "finally" published in the Journal of Pediatrics... you know... because it's for the kids... :wallbash: 

Edited by Earthling789

8 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

This is news we knew already, but science is beginning to prove what we already knew

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0207/850694-e-cigarettes/

There's no mention on the devices used, nicotine strengths, etc., but even if the e-cig devices used were not regulated/controlled, the results appear to be the same :D

Contrast this to an article on MSN.com today (corroborated by the SUN in a similar article), which cites info that is years old, as "today's facts about teen dripping craze", simply because the study was "finally" published in the Journal of Pediatrics... you know... because it's for the kids... :wallbash: 

What do you think the odds are that the FDA and/or the CDC actually read this article...let alone read the actual study.

It's a shame, because a certain political stance in the United States is leading the charge against vaping in the name of "public health".  In reality their stance on vaping has zero to do with public health.  They are leading the charge against vaping because they see tax dollars from traditional cigarettes dropping and see the potential to regain those tax dollars and fund their pet projects through vaping.  For them taxing vape products or banning vape products and sending vapers back to big tobacco is a win/win situation.  I would love to see ENDS devices officially declared a smoking cessation device.  If that's the case, while the FDA could still regulate them, it would prevent money hungry politicians from taxing them like cigarettes.

@Adversarious1, I think the FDA and CDC are far more interested in the study they funded... the one published in the Journal of Pediatrics :( 

I too hope for the day all ENDS devices are declared "approved" cessation devices, and all this hype and fear-mongering are eradicated.

Hmmm, they don't cite the study itself. I'm assuming they're referring to this one: http://annals.org/aim/article/2599869/nicotine-carcinogen-toxin-exposure-long-term-e-cigarette-nicotine-replacement.

The sample size is small so it'll need a few others to replicate before it's taken at all seriously. It's measuring something quite different from the study in the Journal of Pediatrics so there's no way to compare the two. And it doesn't appear that this study records what type of e-liquids were used.

Anecdotally, I can say after (almost) two years that I feel better, my lungs are stronger, and my blood pressure is lower. And there's no question vaping is helping me stay off cigs. I'm really hoping there will be several studies soon that can more definitively say whether the results of the Lion Shahab, PhD and the others are accurate. And a check for other potential health issues related to vaping. But yeah, it's hard to get anyone to fund the studies since the tobacco companies really want vaping to just go away.

2 hours ago, KarynRH said:

Hmmm, they don't cite the study itself. I'm assuming they're referring to this one: http://annals.org/aim/article/2599869/nicotine-carcinogen-toxin-exposure-long-term-e-cigarette-nicotine-replacement.

Yes, that is the study, although it still isn't the full results of the study.

The sample size is small so it'll need a few others to replicate before it's taken at all seriously. It's measuring something quite different from the study in the Journal of Pediatrics so there's no way to compare the two. And it doesn't appear that this study records what type of e-liquids were used.

There have actually been scientific studies on how to conduct scientific studies.  In this particular study they used 181 subjects broken down into 5 groups of groups of 36-37 subjects per group.  If the individual group results were the same across each entire group (i.e. - everybody in group 'A' displayed the same or very similar results; group 'B' displayed the same or similar results, etc) then the size of the group was adequate.  Without knowing the specific results of each group and what the range of results was (if any) then we really can't tell.

The fact the study was measuring something different than the one in the JoP is precisely the problem in.  The FDA, CDC, legislators and anybody else with an anti-vaping agenda only want to see what they want to see.  It isn't about comparing the two studies, it's about using one half of the whole story to support a specific view or stance while pretending there ins't another half to the story that is in direct contradiction to their view.  Basically, it's politics at it's finest.

Anecdotally, I can say after (almost) two years that I feel better, my lungs are stronger, and my blood pressure is lower. And there's no question vaping is helping me stay off cigs. I'm really hoping there will be several studies soon that can more definitively say whether the results of the Lion Shahab, PhD and the others are accurate. And a check for other potential health issues related to vaping. But yeah, it's hard to get anyone to fund the studies since the tobacco companies really want vaping to just go away.

Anecdotally so can thousands upon thousands of other former smokers, myself included.  Unfortunately that's precisely what it is - anecdotal evidence.  As far as getting people to fund the studies, it's more than just big tobacco that would like to see vaping go away.  It's also big pharma (don't forget, it's more profitable to treat a problem than cure one) and it's legislators. Legislators either want to outlaw vaping altogether and essentially force people back to cigarettes or they want to tax vaping across the board because of the revenue being lost due to people quitting smoking.  

My opinion only - the propaganda being spewed by those with an anti-vaping agenda is geared toward bringing in tax dollars.  It has nothing to do with whether or not they truly believe vaping is dangerous or hazardous to public health.

Adversarious1, it looks like we pretty much agree! Except about the sample size, anyway. Comparing apples to oranges seems to be the trend these days, especially by those with a political or financial stake in the matter. And spinning study results is an art form.