"most recent" post issues

There are a couple of things I want to report.

The first is occurring when I click the little dot next to a topic to go directly to the most recent posts(s).  When I see a new post and click the dot, the page isn't landing on the newest post.  Sometimes it is half-way through the new post and other times it is landing all the way at the bottom of the page.  I have experienced this in both Chrome and IE.

The other issue is exclusive to IE.  The little "New' graphic that pops up next to the categories on the main forum page when there is new content in a particular category is not displaying.  It works fine in Chrome, just not in IE.

@Christopher, if you happen to reply to this message, shoot me a PM along with it and I'll try to grab some screenshots to describe exactly what I'm talking about.

Just now, Adversarious1 said:

There are a couple of things I want to report.

The first is occurring when I click the little dot next to a topic to go directly to the most recent posts(s).  When I see a new post and click the dot, the page isn't landing on the newest post.  Sometimes it is half-way through the new post and other times it is landing all the way at the bottom of the page.  I have experienced this in both Chrome and IE.

The other issue is exclusive to IE.  The little "New' graphic that pops up next to the categories on the main forum page when there is new content in a particular category is not displaying.  It works fine in Chrome, just not in IE.

@Christopher, if you happen to reply to this message, shoot me a PM along with it and I'll try to grab some screenshots to describe exactly what I'm talking about.

Got it :) We upgraded a lot of modules on the server to bump up security but not all of the plugins etc have caught up. Feel free to PM me (or post here) some screenshots and I'll see what I can't figure out. (And thanks for reporting by the way! Often times, I never know until someone says something) 

13 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Got it :) We upgraded a lot of modules on the server to bump up security but not all of the plugins etc have caught up. Feel free to PM me (or post here) some screenshots and I'll see what I can't figure out. (And thanks for reporting by the way! Often times, I never know until someone says something) 

Okay...the first issue I reported seems to have resolved itself.  Funny, considering the whole reason I decided to report it was because it was still happening less than five minutes before I typed it up.

Wait...I take it back.  I resolved itself in Chrome, but not in IE.  In IE it is still landing beyond the top of the newest post, and I think the only reason it didn't land further down is because the page was already scrolled down as far as it would go.

capture4.thumb.PNG.e208592b047a768dc246c486db461c3c.PNG

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the other issue

This first one is how it appears in Chrome

NewGraphic.PNG.65cbda880e66082c64e148c93fb5c70e.PNG

Here is how it appears in IE

NoNewGraphic.PNG.22327c31d3f7a5635a8c96a693a4863c.PNG

Edited by Adversarious1

ah so the icon SHOULD show up in IE but doesn't. That's a bug. Probably easily updated. 

As for the forum loading the incorrect post, the are a few ways this can happen. (It's happened to me) 

1. You switch between browsers. The forum gets confused 

2. The most common, you view a thread via an email update, then a new post comes up and you click "unread" from the home page. Sometimes when this happens the forum wigs out a bit and pulls up the incorrect post. Another thing, you view the update from an email, then the notification blips up (because the emails usually go first) and you click that, then you'll load up on the last notification rather than the most recent reply. 

Another thing I should note, we did a large upgrade on the software yesterday and again this morning. When we do this, the entire forum as to re-cache everything. That process takes roughly 12 hours. During that time, you can sometimes get caught up in viewing things that are partially indexed and things that are not. So, if any of these weird bugs showed up as of yesterday, they'll probably start resolving themselves by either this evening or into the early hours at the latest. If it sticks around after that, it's likely a bug I need to patch. 

I'm going to go with option 3 and assume that the forum is still in the process of  re-caching everything.  It was happening at work on my laptop, where I use Chrome 99% of the time and on my desktop where I am forced to use IE.  Here at home it's only happening in IE, but I only checked IE to see if it was still happening.  

Just now, Adversarious1 said:

I'm going to go with option 3 and assume that the forum is still in the process of  re-caching everything.  It was happening at work on my laptop, where I use Chrome 99% of the time and on my desktop where I am forced to use IE.  Here at home it's only happening in IE, but I only checked IE to see if it was still happening.  

ok I'm about to apply a set of patches to the front end which we didn't have time for today. That might resolve at least any visual errors. The post ordeal is the server, which hopefully resolve tonight. If not, let me know and we'll delve in further and see what the deal is :)