Notification Pop up

41 minutes ago, cany said:

Every time I look at a post I get the pop up asking me if I want notifications from this site  always check not now but I still get them every time I view a post

Can you tell me what browser you are using, if your using incognito and also if you often clear your cookies and/or use a cookie cleaner?

4 minutes ago, cany said:

@Christopher Firefox

Do you have a cookie blocker/cleaner? The reason I ask is because if you clean your cookies out, the website can't remember your answer and will ask again. So I'm trying to figure out if you have a block/cleaner. If not, then I may need to reset the forums cookies. (Which will log everyone out. Hasn't been done in 4 years I think) 

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

Do you have a cookie blocker/cleaner? The reason I ask is because if you clean your cookies out, the website can't remember your answer and will ask again. So I'm trying to figure out if you have a block/cleaner. If not, then I may need to reset the forums cookies. (Which will log everyone out. Hasn't been done in 4 years I think) 

No cleaner that I know of

@Christopher

I'm getting it too. I'm on firefox and clean my cookies daily I also have a blocker. Also the site is loading slower than molasses going uphill ...The pop-up I get says it's the site. I have no problems loading other pages. Just so you know.

oh I see what's going on here.... This isn't the forum, this is Firefox. 

So when Firefox asks you if you want to see notifications, rather than say "Yes or No" it says "yes or not now." Not now literally means "not at the moment", it will ask you again next time you arrive. Because, it still doesn't yet know if you want notifications.

When you click "block"  you're basically saying no. (They should just rename the answer because I can see why it would be confusing) By clicking "block" you've said no permanently to notifications. But outside of that, it won't affect the functionality of the forum itself. Hopefully that makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, Christopher said:

So when you visit other websites that have a notification system built in and you click not now, it doesn't ask when you visit the site again? 

This is the only site that I visit that has the notification system

I keep getting the notification messages for each topic I visit too... and no matter how many times I say "not now" or "X" it out it keeps coming back. I'm running firefox if that helps with ghostery and adblock plus add ons.

ah I see. 

Push Notifications are a fairly new thing. The forum software we use has it built in as it makes sense given the type of  website it is. (It's actually handy but not necessary needed). Browsers don't yet handle the questions in my opinion very well. Anytime you hit "not now" it will always ask you again when you visit or refresh. It's just the way it is at the moment until developers figure out a better way to handle notification systems as everyone and their mom starts adding them to their websites. 

Annoying...but normal. :)

By the way thanks for staying patient. I know this always ends up being 20 questions but it's sometimes difficult to narrow down what's going on your side without being there. 

1 minute ago, Edna said:

I keep getting the notification messages for each topic I visit too... and no matter how many times I say "not now" or "X" it out it keeps coming back. I'm running firefox if that helps with ghostery and adblock plus add ons.

Choose "block" instead of "not now" that will prevent the popup. (Click the arrow to see more options) 

8 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Choose "block" instead of "not now" that will prevent the popup. (Click the arrow to see more options) 

Ok I'll give it a go :) thanks...

Tried but I don't have a block option showing up just not now.

Edited by Edna
add info

I run firefox on both my phone and desktop. Once I decline the notifications they go away for a while. Every few weeks I will get asked again if I want notifications, happens on a few sites I visit. Only one day earlier this week did I have to decline notifications repeatedly on the same visit here. Next time it happens I will grab a screen shot, but I don't think there is a "not now" choice, only yes or no.

@Edna  try this

While viewing the forum site, you can change the notifications permission using the Permissions panel of the Page Info dialog. To call that up, either:

• right-click a blank area of the page and choose View Page Info > Permissions
  • (menu bar) Tools menu > Page Info > Permissions
  • click the padlock or "i" icon to the left of the site address, then the ">" icon, then More Information > Permissions

Scroll down to "Receive Notifications" and you can check the "Use default" box (so you are prompted in the future) or uncheck that box and select the permission you prefer (for example, Block).

There's no save button for this panel, changes are saved as you go.