Mega Happy Dance!

Walt

First Build!  Sense Herakles RTA-2  Dual horizontal coil build @ .6ohm.  Seven wraps 26ga SS @ 30mil dia.  Clouds and Flavor @ 30@ on an Alien.  Not as pretty as on YouTube, but the performance!   Oh my.  This is going to become habit forming.  

Edited by Walt
Oops on content

@Walt

Congrats on your first build...but you better watch out it's addictive ;) Next will be twisted and alien coils...LOL

Like the rest of us you're going to need an addition on your house to keep all your new "hobby" stuff :)

14 hours ago, Edna said:

Next will be twisted and alien coils...LOL

Just watched a video on making twisted aliens.  That's gonna be a while down the road if ever, lol.  I had enough trouble keeping the coil from moving with the spinning of the post screw.  That is an amazing technique. 

If your cats like ours, it was completely indifferent .  LOL  It gets easier the more you do it :) Try trapping the lead down tightly while spinning the coil maybe that'll help.. Grimmgreen on youtube has a pretty good video, so does rip tripper that might offer some help.

16 minutes ago, Edna said:

Try trapping the lead down tightly while spinning the coil maybe that'll help.

I'm going to have to do a few simple builds first for sure.  My first problem was after I made the coil.  When I went to mount the coil end into the deck post, the screw in the deck post either pulled the coil in or pushed it out dependent on the rotation of the screw in the post.  By the time I got that figured out my coil was already deformed.  That's ok.  Something to play with till I get it right.  And yes, my cats could care less.  They obviously do like the smell of vaping better than analogs, however. 

3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

That's the reason I like the velocity style build decks, the screw head doesn't hold the wire, and the wire doesn't move when tightening the screw.

I'll look that up on the net.  I have no idea what a velocity style build deck is.  Do you have a pic?

13 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I guess the Sense Herakles RTA-2 is a velocity style deck, at least it looks like one to me, the wire shouldn't move when tightening the screws.

I'm using 28ga SS which is obviously very small wire to get higher resistance builds.  The screws on the posts are conical at the ends and the wire wedges between the cones and the inner post holes.  Just enough for the screw to tug at the wire as the screws are being tightened.  I think with a little practice I can use a pair of needle nosed pliers to hold the wire while tightening.  I just wasn't prepared for the movement when it happened.  

I always use a coil winding tool to hold it in place while tightening the screw.

If you put your coil master through the coil while tightening the screw it will help prevent the coil being deformed.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

If you put your coil master through the coil while tightening the screw it will help prevent the coil being deformed.

I did that but it was not enough to stop the movement from tightening the screws.  I'll try it again soon.  Maybe I can be a little more firm with the coiling rod and prevent the movement.  The other thing I thought of was to ensure the wire was positioned to only be pulled rather than being pulled.   

I also use 28g SS for my builds, and find if I double the wire where it goes through the hole it does help, but its kind of a PITA to do.

I double the wire and twist it together, and end up with more wire in the hole.

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

I also use 28g SS for my builds, and find if I double the wire where it goes through the hole it does help, but its kind of a PITA to do.

I double the wire and twist it together, and end up with more wire in the hole

Now that is a great idea.  Will give that a shot for sure!

4 hours ago, Walt said:

And yes, my cats could care less.  They obviously do like the smell of vaping better than analogs, however. 

LOL yep, ours is a "vape monster" he sticks his head in the vapor for certain juices and others he just flicks his tail and leaves...Finicky cat :) he has his favorites though.

9 hours ago, Walt said:

I'm going to have to do a few simple builds first for sure.  My first problem was after I made the coil.  When I went to mount the coil end into the deck post, the screw in the deck post either pulled the coil in or pushed it out dependent on the rotation of the screw in the post.  By the time I got that figured out my coil was already deformed.  That's ok.  Something to play with till I get it right.  And yes, my cats could care less.  They obviously do like the smell of vaping better than analogs, however. 

Use the 30 tool (the one you used to wrap it) to hold the coil i place while you tighten the screw

Just now, cany said:

Use the 30 tool (the one you used to wrap it) to hold the coil i place while you tighten the screw

Will do.  Going to do another build this weekend.  Just for practice:lol:

A quick thank you to all who commented.  Followed suggestions and was much firmer with using the 3mil rod to hold the coil while building.  My second build looks just like the pretty pictures on YouTube and man does it perform!  Even at the .6ohm build that I used it is AMAZING!!!!

Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...
[mention=39716]Edna[/mention]  Thanks!  I'm like a little kid with this.  I was so excited when it worked.  Showed my wife.  Showed the cats.  Chain hit till I had to lay down from the nicotine.  OoooPs, lol.

I don't even have a deck to put my wound coils on but wrapped a few just to see how it works. Showed the wife all pleased with myself...she looks at em and is like wtf are those....jeeze woman can I get a sammich?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Uncivil11 said:

I don't even have a deck to put my wound coils on but wrapped a few just to see how it works. Showed the wife all pleased with myself...she looks at em and is like wtf are those....jeeze woman can I get a sammich?

lol, pretty much sums it up.  The wife and the cats had the same reaction.