Funny taste from the cotton when I rewick my coils

eascusa

Hi, I just started rewicking my own coils. I am using japanese cotton from Master of Clouds. But although my coil is working I am getting a funny taste from it. Is this normal? Will it go away after so many vapes from the device? I am rewicking my smok vape pen 22 and smok sub ohm  40 mini helmet. I got them working it just tastes bad. Not real bad. It tastes kind of like hair, not burnt hair. Just like sucking on regular hair. Is this from the cotton I am using? Is anyone else using this cotton from master of Clouds? And are you getting this taste from it. It's not the wire because right now I am using the same coil wire that was on it. They still look good and I just burn any stuff off of it to clean it. Any advise? TY

First, I moved this thread from "Coils" to "Wick and Wire".

Second, are you re-wicking factory coils or is there an RBA deck for the Mini Helmet I'm not aware of?  Re-building and re-wicking factory coils can be tricky.  It isn't impossible, but the odds of having a very different experience from a re-built and/or re-wicked factory drop-in coil vs. a brand new coil are very high.

I agree with adversarious1.  You mention "burning off stuff to clean it".  Dry burning is tricky.  If you aren't absolutely careful with it and you don't clean the coil (or aren't able to clean it thoroughly after dry burning) it always gives a funky taste.  You have to get rid of any residue at all, which is hard to do.  I've done dry burning very lightly in a pinch, but I don't recommend it and I only do it once on a coil.  Nothing beats fresh wire and cotton.   

If your just replacing cotton in a used coil, you are likely getting that residue on the fresh cotton and that is what you are tasting.

I'm theorizing here.  If I clean the oven by burning off the grease, etc. it still has a distinct odor.  The residual charred material still produces smell and taste when inhaled.  Maybe ultrasonic cleaning the coils would help.  I have no idea.  Some remnant of cotton/ejuice has either permeated or adhered to the coils.  Will this dissipate over time?   No idea. 

Some people do get a wet T-shirt taste from cotton I have seen it posted on other sites.

Personally I have moved from cotton to Rayon, and get a cleaner taste, but that's me and other people might not get the same results.

Rayon (cellucotton) can be bought from Sally's beauty supply, that's where I got mine from. I got 500 feet for about $14, pretty much a lifetime supply. When I use it I have to split it so I will get 1000 feet instead of 500 feet.

Just my opinion.