The FDA updates Compliance Policies for Local Vape Shops

Christopher

Hi Folks, 

The FDA has made some policies changes that affect local brick and mortar stores. Previously, retail associates were unable to assist customer in just about any way shape or form due to PTMA guidelines. Naturally, when a customer comes in with a problem and the associate is unable to help, it creates a dangerous situation. (For example, if a customer comes in stating their mod is warm, obviously a battery issue may need addressed asap)

Previously, many vape retailers interpreted the regulations as being such that they could not perform services including changing coils, assembling a device and discussing how it functions, along with performing simple repairs and general troubleshooting.

The FDA has made some updates - Without qualifying a vape shop as a tobacco manufacturer, staff can explain how to use a store product, employees can clean and perform maintenance on a purchased product, they can replace coils with new and identical ones, and they can assemble a product for the customer from the components packaged with the device.

The FDA Is now also allows retail associates to assist customer in refilling their tanks so long as no modifications are made outside of what is recommended by the product's manufacture. 

For more details see following PDF document HERE

Does this only apply to equipment/tanks purchased in store?  Because I still have a ton of questions on my leaking issue on my Crown 2 (okay, just one, why the frak is it leaking), but it was purchased from My Vapor Store, and the only answer they gave me is to close the air valve when I'm not using it.  Well, that prevents leaks when I'm not using it, generally, but I'm always using it during the day, so the air valve is open.  We take it apart and it doesn't leak for a couple hours, and then it starts leaking again.  Sorry, this turned into a rant.  

Anyway, does it only apply to something purchased at the shop?

7 minutes ago, spydre said:

Does this only apply to equipment/tanks purchased in store?  Because I still have a ton of questions on my leaking issue on my Crown 2 (okay, just one, why the frak is it leaking), but it was purchased from My Vapor Store, and the only answer they gave me is to close the air valve when I'm not using it.  Well, that prevents leaks when I'm not using it, generally, but I'm always using it during the day, so the air valve is open.  We take it apart and it doesn't leak for a couple hours, and then it starts leaking again.  Sorry, this turned into a rant.  

Anyway, does it only apply to something purchased at the shop?

Sounds like you don't have a tight seal. How old is the tank?

54 minutes ago, Tam said:

Are you sure this came down from the FDA? It actually makes sense...  :D

I was thinking the same thing... but hey, I'll take it!  

A little common sense is a good thing in this industry, and some common-sense-directives from the FDA are a welcome thing ;) 

That's how they ruled on medical devices.  Form, fit, and function must be maintained and or returned to original manufacturer specifications.  This obviously follows suit as they have already approved the design and build of the manufacturer. 

27 minutes ago, spydre said:

Six months old - and did this from the very beginning.

Have you checked the glass?  I had a Kanger tank that had a tiny defect (divet) on the edge of the Pyrex, which caused a tiny air-leak into the tank, which caused it to leak over time.  I changed the o-rings a couple of times before I realized what was the problem... and I didn't notice it until I had set the tank on the smooth surface of my stove after cleaning it, and noticed the way the light looked different in that tiny spot.  I replaced the tank and it has worked perfectly since then.

11 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

Have you checked the glass?  I had a Kanger tank that had a tiny defect (divet) on the edge of the Pyrex, which caused a tiny air-leak into the tank, which caused it to leak over time.  I changed the o-rings a couple of times before I realized what was the problem... and I didn't notice it until I had set the tank on the smooth surface of my stove after cleaning it, and noticed the way the light looked different in that tiny spot.  I replaced the tank and it has worked perfectly since then.

I have, and it's not leaking from the glass, either, it's leaking out the air holes, or what seems to be the air holes.  I have bad luck that way.

Edited by spydre

25 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

Mine leaked from the air-holes too... because the glass allowed air in (breaking the vacuum seal)... but if it's not your glass or o-rings, the only other possibility is a defect in manufacturing tolerances of the steel portion of the tank... 

If it's a defect in the manufacturing, would all of them be affected the same?

9 minutes ago, Uncivil11 said:

I can't imagine what the tolerance on these little parts would be. Talk about splitting hairs on pass or fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with you there.  And if two of the parts are just a tiny bit off and get married in the wrong way, there's no telling that the end product is problematic.  Tolerance stack gone awry.  

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the original post, I found these 2 things on the net that might interest people here on VT

https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/president-elect-trump-has-a-suggestion-website-and-vapers-are-flooding-it-with-ideas

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-urged-to-snuff-out-fda-rules-threatening-15000-e-cig-makers/article/2609451

After I posted this I realize I should have posted it under vaping & fda if someone wants to move it I would appreciate it.

Edited by FXRich

32 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Getting back to the original post, I found these 2 things on the net that might interest people here on VT

https://www.vapes.com/blogs/news/president-elect-trump-has-a-suggestion-website-and-vapers-are-flooding-it-with-ideas

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-urged-to-snuff-out-fda-rules-threatening-15000-e-cig-makers/article/2609451

After I posted this I realize I should have posted it under vaping & fda if someone wants to move it I would appreciate it.

This would be a great new topic as well to bring awareness to some of the members here on the forum