Vaporizer Explodes During Vape Session

Christopher

What's sad is that all too often all the media reports is that an e-cig exploded. They don't tell you what brand, model, what tank... any of the pertinent details that could really explain how the e-cig exploded. Most often it's a loose battery in a pocket full of change and car keys that shorted out.  :( 

The evolution of vaping will be interesting for sure.  I see pro and anti in the media so far.  I guess it will depend on which agenda sells more soda pop.  The whole battery thing is a bit scary.  Phones catching fire, things blowing up, etc. I'm personally no fan of sticking a 9V battery in my pocket that is shorted out.  And now the FDA prohibits sellers from counseling with buyers.  Amazing (sarcasm) scenario.  Somewhat tangential to the origin of the thread, vaping is still holding on to an underground affect as well as a somewhat "bad boy" persona.  Not sure how this will play out moving forward.  A review of Chantix and a review of the latest mod are definitely two wholly different experiences on the web.   I can see the anties contending that this affect is targeting minors.  Personally, I find a lot of good information being published by reviewers although some of the presentations are somewhat guttural.  Beyond that of course is the standard hyperbole  which could play out in any direction.  

It is an interesting time to be a vapor!  

You bring up a great point and something that is so frustrating for vendors. If a customer comes into the store and mentions that their hardware is warm or acting up, we are literally not allowed to assist/asses/ help with the situation. Which is mind numbly stupid.

One the vendors we work with close by is undergoing a lawsuit at the moment because a user stacked their batteries.  Something you should never, ever do. Almost every vendor mentions this as well. And while this particular vendor is not at fault, he still has to fork out the cost of proving himself not liable. 

I would absolutely love to see a reporter doing a story on an exploding mod ask the "victim" what type of build and what brand of battery they were using when it "exploded".  Chances are this was not just a sub-ohm, but sub .1 ohm.  

Seriously...WTF are some people thinking building down to .05 ohms or lower?  They might as well grab a revolver and start playing Russian Roulette.

On the flip side...it might be Darwin's way of thinning out the idiots.

43 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

They might as well grab a revolver and start playing Russian Roulette.

I think some are.  Even some of the reviewers I have seen on YT don't convince me that they understand what they are playing with.  These are wonderful devices but they demand respect.

Agreed wholeheartedly.  Some of the YT guys are downright foolish with the way they pass on some of the information they pass on.  If they don't know what they are talking about, they shouldn't be doing it.  But to quote the late, great Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

3 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

I would absolutely love to see a reporter doing a story on an exploding mod ask the "victim" what type of build and what brand of battery they were using when it "exploded".  Chances are this was not just a sub-ohm, but sub .1 ohm.  

Seriously...WTF are some people thinking building down to .05 ohms or lower?  They might as well grab a revolver and start playing Russian Roulette.

On the flip side...it might be Darwin's way of thinning out the idiots.

Or a story where the reporter gets *ALL* the facts and details of the story, not just enough to sensationalize the evils of e-cigs. They never have details, they only say things like, "...it started to spark and then exploded when he put it into his pocket..." and "...he is now in the burn unit at the hospital and must have skin grafts because an ecig battery exploded like a rocket..." Never a mention about what brand of battery, what resistance his coil was, if the battery was loose with change and keys in his pocket, if the batteries were stacked in the unregulated mod, if the mod was damaged in some way and the guy insisted on continuing to use it even though it was sparking when he took a hit... sheesh.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...