I'm sure this has been asked before, but please help!

I just bought an e-leaf melo 2 tank and am using the coil that came with it! I am not using temp control. The coil is a 0.3 ohm coil and I am wondering how many watts I should be using! I am switching between a kangertech Knox mini and an e-leaf istick. Any help will be appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Bigmike95403 said:

I just bought an e-leaf melo 2 tank and am using the coil that came with it! I am not using temp control. The coil is a 0.3 ohm coil and I am wondering how many watts I should be using! I am switching between a kangertech Knox mini and an e-leaf istick. Any help will be appreciated!

Which kbox and which istick are you using?  Having that information will improve the recommendations.  Without that information, though, I would start at about 35 watts and bump it up half a watt at a time.  As you bump it up, you will get closer to your "sweet spot" (that point where you like the balance between flavor, vapor production and the vape isn't too warm or too cool). You will know when you get past that sweet spot because the flavor won't be what you like, the vapor production won't be what you like or it will be too warm (or a combination of all three). Once you hit that point, back it off to the last spot you really liked.

Basically, as long as you adhere to battery safety there isn't a specific wattage you should be vaping at.  The right wattage is whatever wattage creates your sweet spot, and that is different for everybody.  For some of us, that wattage may be higher because we like a warmer vape, for others it may be lower because we like a cooler vape.  And for many of us, we will find that we run the exact same tank with the exact same coil at slightly different wattages based on the e-liquid we are vaping at the time because different PG/VG blends and different flavors react differently at different wattages.

Yes, the crackling is absolutely normal and I would actually be more concerned if there wasn't a crackling sound.  What you are hearing is the coil heating the liquid and turning it into vapor.  Much the same way water droplets or bacon fat will sizzle on a hot skillet, e-liquid will sizzle on a hot coil.  If the coil wasn't crackling at all, then chances are you have a bad coil.  

It should be noted that e-liquid, airflow, the particular coil and the coil resistance you are using can all have an effect on how much "crackling" you hear.  For instance in my Kanger tanks I get a lot of crackling, in my Aspire tanks, I get a little less.  In my RTAs and RDA's, where I am building and wicking the coils myself, I get the least crackling.  E-Liquids that are higher in PG seem to crackle less for me than liquids that are higher in VG, most likely because the PG is thinner and will burn more efficiently.  Everybody will experience something slightly different based on their personal vaping preferences, though.

5 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

Without that information, though, I would start at about 35 watts and bump it up half a watt at a time. 

Holy cow! You would start a 0.3 ohm coil at 35W??? Not judging, just kind of trying to get my head around that high a wattage with that coil. I'm a wimp with a 1.8 ohm coil and 9.7W, lol.  :D 

Holy cow! You would start a 0.3 ohm coil at 35W??? Not judging, just kind of trying to get my head around that high a wattage with that coil. I'm a wimp with a 1.8 ohm coil and 9.7W, lol.  [emoji3] 

Yep, I sure would. Actually, I would probably start at 40-42 watts, but I also know the range where my sweet spot lies at that resistance and I know my equipment.

It's all part of understanding the safe limits of the batteries, Ohm's law, etc. High wattage does not necessarily automatically equate to a hot vape. [emoji4]

Sent from my heart using the Vapor Talk App. OK...OK...I'm kidding. I have no heart. But I did use the Vapor Talk Mobile App.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:26 PM, Adversarious1 said:

Yep, I sure would. Actually, I would probably start at 40-42 watts, but I also know the range where my sweet spot lies at that resistance and I know my equipment.

It's all part of understanding the safe limits of the batteries, Ohm's law, etc. High wattage does not necessarily automatically equate to a hot vape. emoji4.png

Okay, it could be that I haven't had enough coffee yet, but could you explain (using little words, lol) about high watts not equating to a hot vape. It seems like every time I use a sub ohm coil, I get a hot vape when I turn up the wattage.

Morning Tam!   I've had my first cup so I'll give it a shot.  :D

it's really just just a bit of a numbers game.  Kind of like 30mph is too fast for a school zone but 30 on the freeway would be crawling.

I thought of a good analogy (I think) which might help illustrate it.

If you stood in front of a stereo speaker and turned the volume up to 3, you would think it was pretty loud (too hot). But, the guys in the back of the room would be saying "Crank it up!"  It takes more power to deliver that same "volume" to the back of the room. So you think 3 is fine, but the guys in the back of the room need to have it on 7 to get the same perceived volume. Then you're left thinking how is that possible, 7 is way too loud.  

A high ohm coil (1.8ohm) sees 10 watts and goes, "no way, I'm not letting you through" and pushes back on that power and the result is heat.   A low ohm coil (.3 ohm) sees 10 watts and offers very little resistance "go right on through, boys" and without that resistance  creates almost no heat.  So, more power is needed to heat up that .3 coil.  It doesn't start pushing back on that power until the power reaches 40watts.  Then it starts going "hold on, boys" and produces heat.  The perceived heat could be lower at 40 watts than 10 watts on a high coil.  

Thanks, Bebop. I was able to read your explanation and apply that to Ohm's Law to finally be able to have it make sense. Don't know why I couldn't apply the theory before this, but you made it all come together.  :) 

Thanks Tam.  It's not perfect but it'll do.

You also have other factors involved. Low ohm coils tend to be larger wire, more surface area, more wicking and thus more juice to heat up. More wick and juice means more to heat up before vaporization takes place which means more power is needed. 

Plus, you have 3 interrelated parts - volts, watts, and amps describing that power. So it makes for a lot of head scratching!  :lol: