Coils and Stuff

Hey Vapors, since i know i will be doing this for a long time i want to learn how to Build my own coils.  I would like to know what Gauges are and how you can tell the difference and what tools are needed for making these coils.  I know some about how many wraps it can have and i know a little about ohms.  I also know that Kanthal is the way to go (or from what i always hear).  Some tips and pointers would be great!! Thanks for your time! 

Different people like different kinds of wire, some prefer Kanthal, others prefer Nichrome, personally I prefer SS 316L, but that's me. Basically what you need to get started is a coil winding tool, I like Coil Master, others may like something else, and you will need a good ohmmeter, don't go cheap on the ohmmeter. And you will need wire, the gauge wire depends on your target ohms.

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

Different people like different kinds of wire, some prefer Kanthal, others prefer Nichrome, personally I prefer SS 316L, but that's me. Basically what you need to get started is a coil winding tool, I like coil master, others may like something else, and you will need a good ohmmeter, don't go cheap on the ohmmeter. And you will need wire, the gauge wire depends on your target ohms.

I have a few Mech mods. So how would i be able to tell what ohms would work on them? 

Steam-engine is a great resource, not just for learning about making coils, but for general information regarding Ohm's Law, battery safety and other things vape related.

Also, if you're an android user, check out Vape Tool, an app available in the Google Play Store.  I don't know if it's available for iOS or not.

7 minutes ago, Somewhat experienced said:

I have a few Mech mods. So how would i be able to tell what ohms would work on them? 

Your mech mods are going to be limited by the batteries you use in them in conjunction with the way you build your coils.  It isn't that your mech mod "handles" certain ohms, it's that batteries have a limit.  I have seen guys build as low as .05 ohms and while I don't recommend it, with the right batteries it can be done.  Again, I don't recommend it.  Situations like that are why people win the Darwin Award.

Check out Steam-Engine like I recommended in my previous post and do some research on Ohm's Law to gain some insight into the relationships between amps, watts and volts.  I promise, it will all start to make sense.

As @FXRich mentioned in his reply, though, get an ohm meter and don't get a cheap one.  "Cheap" is relative, because you can get good ohm meters for $15 to $20.  Cheap in this case refers more to poorly made rather than price.

15 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

Steam-engine is a great resource, not just for learning about making coils, but for general information regarding Ohm's Law, battery safety and other things vape related.

Also, if you're an android user, check out Vape Tool, an app available in the Google Play Store.  I don't know if it's available for iOS or not.

I have heard in the community that Steam-engine will be coming down in March 2017. Not sure of the reason, probably due to FDA regulations. I guess you can save the web page and run it offline, but it will require saving the whole database. Haven't tried it yet, will let you know if I do.

Thank you for the tip on the Vape Tool. Much appreciated.

29 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

I have heard in the community that Steam-engine will be coming down in March 2017. Not sure of the reason, probably due to FDA regulations. I guess you can save the web page and run it offline, but it will require saving the whole database. Haven't tried it yet, will let you know if I do.

FDA regs also cover vape software, I noticed that when reading through the regs. I suppose that also covers firmware updates.

29 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

FDA regs also cover vape software, I noticed that when reading through the regs. I suppose that also covers firmware updates.

1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

Thank you for the tip on the Vape Tool. Much appreciated.

Hadn't heard about Steam-engine coming down.

58 minutes ago, FXRich said:

The way I understood the regs, firmware updates are regulated because they alter the device from its original format.  Sort of the same way, in the FDA's view, changing a factory coil for someone else is altering a device.  But to regulate software or websites?  If that's the case and if Steam-engine is coming down because of FDA regs and if apps fall under FDA regs, then I'm sure it won't be long before someone files a lawsuit against the FDA specifically for infringing on 1st Amendment rights.  Regulating vaping software or a website that provides information on how many wraps of a certain gauge wire around a certain diameter bit to create a coil that hits a certain ohm rating (all information that is backed up by science and mathematics, by the way) is akin to trying to regulating CAD/CAM software because an RDA can be made on a CNC machine.

5 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

Hadn't heard about Steam-engine coming down.

The way I understood the regs, firmware updates are regulated because they alter the device from its original format.  Sort of the same way, in the FDA's view, changing a factory coil for someone else is altering a device.  But to regulate software or websites?  If that's the case and if Steam-engine is coming down because of FDA regs and if apps fall under FDA regs, then I'm sure it won't be long before someone files a lawsuit against the FDA specifically for infringing on 1st Amendment rights.  Regulating vaping software or a website that provides information on how many wraps of a certain gauge wire around a certain diameter bit to create a coil that hits a certain ohm rating (all information that is backed up by science and mathematics, by the way) is akin to trying to regulating CAD/CAM software because an RDA can be made on a CNC machine.

I got the information from AriesJJ. He seems to know the fellow that runs the site. Aries builds some awesome coils.

Will be sad to see it come down, it has been a useful tool. I can't understand why, people use it all over the world and they don't actually sell anything.

I got the information from AriesJJ. He seems to know the fellow that runs the site. Aries builds some awesome coils.
Will be sad to see it come down, it has been a useful tool. I can't understand why, people use it all over the world and they don't actually sell anything.

I shot an email to Lars directly and asked him if the rumor is true. We'll see if I get a reply.

Sent from my heart using the Vapor Talk App. OK...OK...I'm kidding. I have no heart. But I did use the Vapor Talk Mobile App.