Gonna try messing with Clapton wire

cany

1 hour ago, cany said:

Thank you  Im waiting on another tank apparently I melted the insulator in mine messing with Clapton wire lol I never even got too vape it

That's a drag that it melted. I don't know if you've looked, but Slowtech carries spare insulators for a bunch of different tanks. Since you've got another coming, you can wait on a slowboat from China so you have two tanks :) Just a thought.

This may sound stupid but how does one melt an insulator? Short? I just know they can handle alot of heat, especially peek insulators..
Glad I never had one melt, even in RDAs... Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smacksy said:

Because those claptons were too hot for me in the Griffin I never ran them in the RTA-2.. lol

Yup take out the510c center pin then unscrew deck them unscrew the pin that holds it

31 minutes ago, smacksy said:

This may sound stupid but how does one melt an insulator? Short? I just know they can handle alot of heat, especially peek insulators..

I might of got it too hot lol  It looks like a type of plastic

30 minutes ago, smacksy said:

Dry burning a Clapton coil might get it hot enough, I just ordered a 160w Dripbox it comes with dual claptons installed, now I'm thinking about ripping them out and putting in a couple of other coils. 

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

Dry burning a Clapton coil might get it hot enough, I just ordered a 160w Dripbox it comes with dual claptons installed, now I'm thinking about ripping them out and putting in a couple of other coils. 

I was pulsing it too try to get the hot spots Not too mention I used SS wire in Watt mode which I think Im not supposed too do

2 minutes ago, FXRich said:

You can use SS in watt mode, I do it all the time, but I have noticed when dry burning it they seem to get hotter than dry burning Kanthal or Nichrome.

It was ss3161l claptons

I ran the SS coils in the crown in watts mode..didn't hurt it at all..
My experience with claptons is somewhat limited..I think the are overrated for flavor, a PITA to wrap and require too high of wattages to vape well..(the vape is too hot for me)... right now I'm really liking 24g Nichrome..I think I'm done with claptons, lol

Well since a short or near short equates to heat, I'd say that's how it's done.  No doubt Claptons take a lot of juice to light up.  One thing I've noticed is that claptons require more amps even given the same resistance as a standard subohm coil.  Not sure why that is but a .3 kanthal wind and a .3 Clapton behave differently.  Claptons get hot.  I've tried them in my youde zephyrus and they heat that sucker up big time with a .5 coil and 40w.  The tank gets literally almost too hot to handle.

5 minutes ago, smacksy said:

I ran the SS coils in the crown in watts mode..didn't hurt it at all..
My experience with claptons is somewhat limited..I think the are overrated for flavor, a PITA to wrap and require too high of wattages to vape well..(the vape is too hot for me)... right now I'm really liking 24g Nichrome..I think I'm done with claptons, lol

Right now I'm running a .5 SS coil in a RBA in a subtank mini in watts. The reason I'm running watts instead of TC is I only get 1 tank per coil with the coffee flavored juice in it when in TC, in watts I get 3 tanks per coil. Other juices in TC seem to last weeks between coil changes. I have to agree about Clapton coils, I wasn't impressed with them either.

Can I make a build in the Herakles rta 2 that will work decent under 80w

e4b56d2b492fa5389d1fb36161d92910.jpgSure..
I've got a killer dual coil 24g Nichrome build in this one..
0.36 ohms and vapes great at a cool 50w...

Thanks I gotta pick up some different types of wire

I've tried other types and different gauges wire in both my Griffin and RTA-2... 24g Nichrome seems to work the best for me.. Nichrome has a slightly higher ramp up than Kanthel given the same gauge..
I get a thick vape and have ran thru about 100mls of juice on this same build..it's still hitting awesome..good luck!

13 hours ago, cany said:

.5 and under dual coils

I would recommend this one.  That is basic clapton wire with a 26 gauge core with 32 gauge outer.  Two dual coils: 6 wraps on a 3mm bit with 5mm legs should get you right about .5 ohms.  5 wraps with everything else the same would get you about .4 ohms =/- .1 ohm.

1 minute ago, Adversarious1 said:

I would recommend this one.  That is basic Clapton wire with a 26 gauge core with 32 gauge outer.  Two dual coils: 6 wraps on a 3mm bit with 5mm legs should get you right about .5 ohms.  5 wraps with everything else the same would get you about .4 ohms =/- .1 ohm.

Thank you Sir

On 10/4/2016 at 7:14 PM, cany said:

Can you recommenced a Clapton Kanth wire from the VT store

This is the one I am using.  I use the one that @Adversarious1 uses also.  I can't tell a lot of difference, but for some reason I really like the Nichrome/Kanthal combination.

For what it is worth, I have been running a standard 26 GA 316SS and it isn't a lot different.  I do think the Clapton has more flavor, but the quick heat up time (standard wire heats much quicker because the mass of the Clapton is so much more it takes more time to heat)

4 hours ago, jasonculp said:

This is the one I am using.  I use the one that @Adversarious1 uses also.  I can't tell a lot of difference, but for some reason I really like the Nichrome/Kanthal combination.

For what it is worth, I have been running a standard 26 GA 316SS and it isn't a lot different.  I do think the Clapton has more flavor, but the quick heat up time (standard wire heats much quicker because the mass of the Clapton is so much more it takes more time to heat)

Im gonna pickup a few different wires to try Thanks