Gonna try messing with Clapton wire

cany

I had a hard time twisting that without getting knots in it... you can see one in my pic. You have to keep them even as best you can while twisting. I found the slower you twist it the better the results. You will still get a knot or two but most times you can cut them out as you make the coils.

Just now, Compenstine said:

It makes one hell of a KPT head coil though.

FV-KPT_Tiger_Coil.jpg

I was thinking about when I rebuild a Kanger OCC coil, but I try to keep the resistance about 1.2 ohms, I may have a hard time getting that.

Normally I use 4 wraps of 28g kanthal around 3mm and get 1.1 - 1.2 ohms, works good for me. I think the OCC coils are easier to rebuild than the KPT coils, but that could be just my opinion and others may disagree. One thing I do is when I rebuild a OCC coil I use a 3mm file to make the hole a little bigger, they are slightly under 3mm in diameter.

Seeing the OP was about clapton coils I thought Id post my try at it.4b310aa1484d231a1052c6f7deb28680.jpg
This was 24g x 30g kanthel on a 3mm bit dual coil build in my Griffin 25 RTA...plenty of room on this velocity style deck made claptons easy to install and no dry hits thanks to the large juice channels..vapor production was great..these coils liked alot of wattage before they hit really good making the vape too hot for me..I don't wrap claptons anymore, and keep my builds simple..lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The vape gods must be smiling on me today, I twisted up some tiger wire like Comp said to, Twisted 30g round and .5x1 flat wire, wraped 5 wraps on 3mm installed it in a OCC coil and got 1.2 ohms, just like I wanted. Now to wick it and see how it vapes.

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

I have thought about tiger wire a few times. I do have lots of wire round and flat. What do you twist together to get your tiger wire, I might get bored and try it.

I will vouch for Comp's Tiger Wire.  He sent me a bundle a while back and I used it a lot.  I then switched to TC and quit using it.  I still have a few pieces left.  I use it in one RTA only.  Since the mod I use has poor TC I switched back to Wattage and with the looming vapocalypse I tried to find a commercial available wire that would work similarly to Tiger Wire.  The Clapton wire is good, but it isn't as good, but it is cheap, and easy to work with.

I need to find a new mod, but with 6 NEBOXs, I am spoiled to the design.  I would like to find something that uses a recessed tank like the Smoant, or something similar.  I just don't want to spend the money.  So I use my NEBOX during the day, and one of my "standard" mods with a Crown when I am at home in the evening.

10 hours ago, smacksy said:

Seeing the OP was about Clapton coils I thought Id post my try at it.4b310aa1484d231a1052c6f7deb28680.jpg
This was 24g x 30g kanthel on a 3mm bit dual coil build in my Griffin 25 RTA...plenty of room on this velocity style deck made claptons easy to install and no dry hits thanks to the large juice channels..vapor production was great..these coils liked alot of wattage before they hit really good making the vape too hot for me..I don't wrap claptons anymore, and keep my builds simple..lol

How many wraps would that be considered

On 9/26/2016 at 5:11 PM, cany said:

Any good coil calculators out there for it Ive tried steam engine for Kanth but it totally confuses me

@cany,

I did some calculation tests and comparisons between Steam Engine and the Vape Tool app over the weekend.  You should be able to use Steam Engine for your calculations.  Don't think in terms of "Clapton" coils.  Just think in terms of the basic KA1 coils (or Ni80 or SS if you are using either of those as opposed to Kanthal).

In a nutshell, a Clapton coil's resistance is going to be based primarily on the core wire(s).  While the diameter of the outer wire will have a very slight effect on the overall resistance, it will be minimal.  Where the diameter of the outer wire comes into play is the ramp up time.  The thicker the wire, the longer the ramp up time because the heat transfer from the core takes longer with a heavier gauge wire than a thinner wire.

EXAMPLE: If you wanted a dual Clapton coil build similar to the one @smacksyposted a pic of, then use Steam Engine to calculate the number of wraps needed for your desired resistance based on a 24 gauge core wire. Based on my own experience with Clapton coils as well as some of the tests and comparisons I did over the weekend, I would guestimate that dual Clapton of smacksy's came out somewhere between .3 and .35 ohms (depending on leg length).

When I have time I'll try to put together a "Clapton Coils De-Mystified" type of post where I'll explain Clapton and fused Clapton coils more in depth.  Things get a little more complicated when making fused Claptons, but not much.

2 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

@cany,

I did some calculation tests and comparisons between Steam Engine and the Vape Tool app over the weekend.  You should be able to use Steam Engine for your calculations.  Don't think in terms of "Clapton" coils.  Just think in terms of the basic KA1 coils (or Ni80 or SS if you are using either of those as opposed to Kanthal).

In a nutshell, a Clapton coil's resistance is going to be based primarily on the core wire(s).  While the diameter of the outer wire will have a very slight effect on the overall resistance, it will be minimal.  Where the diameter of the outer wire comes into play is the ramp up time.  The thicker the wire, the longer the ramp up time because the heat transfer from the core takes longer with a heavier gauge wire than a thinner wire.

EXAMPLE: If you wanted a dual Clapton coil build similar to the one @smacksyposted a pic of, then use Steam Engine to calculate the number of wraps needed for your desired resistance based on a 24 gauge core wire. Based on my own experience with Clapton coils as well as some of the tests and comparisons I did over the weekend, I would guestimate that dual Clapton of smacksy's came out somewhere between .3 and .35 ohms (depending on leg length).

When I have time I'll try to put together a "Clapton Coils De-Mystified" type of post where I'll explain Clapton and fused Clapton coils more in depth.  Things get a little more complicated when making fused Claptons, but not much.

Thank you  Im waiting on another tank apparently I melted the insulator in mine messing with clapton wire lol I never even got too vape it

Thank you  Im waiting on another tank apparently I melted the insulator in mine messing with clapton wire lol I never even got too vape it
@Cany
Out of curiosity what tank was that the insulator melted?