Gonna try messing with Clapton wire

cany

I have never used a calculator.  I normally use 5 wraps on a 3mm spindle.  With the NiChrome/Kanthal Clapton wire I use normally comes out to .4 to .56 ohms.

If you dryburn start low, or pulse quickly.  They really like to make hotspots until you get some oxidation on them.

I have been messing with SS316 clapton wire, but results have not been nearly as good as the NiChrome/Kanthal.

Any good coil calculators out there for it Ive tried steam engine for Kanth but it totally confuses me

I use an app called Vape Tool. Don't know if it's available for iOS, as I'm an android guy, but it's pretty accurate. Lets you input the core diameter, wrap diameter, etc. Lots of other features too and it isn't limited to just Clapton coils.

Sent from my heart using the Vapor Talk App. OK...OK...I'm kidding. I have no heart. But I did use the Vapor Talk Mobile App.

3 minutes ago, Edna said:

Have you looked at this one?  Coil Toy

I don't know if it will help you or not but it might be worth a look. :)

I checked that out It confuses me lol And no clappton wire

4 minutes ago, jasonculp said:

I have never used a calculator.  I normally use 5 wraps on a 3mm spindle.  With the NiChrome/Kanthal Clapton wire I use normally comes out to .4 to .56 ohms.

If you dryburn start low, or pulse quickly.  They really like to make hotspots until you get some oxidation on them.

I have been messing with SS316 Clapton wire, but results have not been nearly as good as the NiChrome/Kanthal.

I picked up SS316L clapton wire from her VT store no clue what to do with it lol Im waiting for my Herakles TRA-2 to get here from VT I wanna try to do some builds with it

5 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

I use an app called Vape Tool. Don't know if it's available for iOS, as I'm an android guy, but it's pretty accurate. Lets you input the core diameter, wrap diameter, etc. Lots of other features too and it isn't limited to just Clapton coils.

Sent from my heart using the Vapor Talk App. OK...OK...I'm kidding. I have no heart. But I did use the Vapor Talk Mobile App.

7 minutes ago, Adversarious1 said:

Just got it thanks

2 minutes ago, cany said:

I checked that out It confuses me lol And no clappton wire

I picked up SS316L Clapton wire from her VT store no clue what to do with it lol Im waiting for my Herakles TRA-2 to get here from VT I wanna try to do some builds with it

I am using them in my NEBOX.  The SS is just nearly too big to fit the RBA.  I chose 5 wraps because that is all I can comfortably fit in the RBA. :whistle:

I just cant get a grasp on these Calculators
@Cany...I'm intoxicated at the moment (Monday Night Football), but if you want to you can PM me your desired coil result and I'll help in any way I can.

6 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

@Cany...I'm intoxicated at the moment (Monday Night Football), but if you want to you can PM me your desired coil result and I'll help in any way I can.

Thanks Im looking to get around .50

17 hours ago, Adversarious1 said:

Well I thought I got it it says its installed on my phone but its not here lol

1 minute ago, smacksy said:

Lol
You'll learn in time, just don't give up, lol
BTW, I got that Gillie tank today and made a post with pics on the Arymi thread we chatted on...just sayin

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Dont think I will lol and I saw your post It was kinda what I expected :)

3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

There are a lot of variables involved in Clapton coils, core wire dia. wrap wire dia. sometimes you have to deal with more than 1 core wire, or multiple wrap wires, I gave up before I even started.

I think I might too I dunno why I try new things I love my simple build in me subtank  mini in TC

I sometimes use twisted wire coils, but that's as far as I go. I tried flat wire coils too, but seem to revert back to the simple 1 wire coil. If I was into cloud chasing I would spend more time figuring out Clapton coils.

56 minutes ago, cany said:

I think I might too I dunno why I try new things I love my simple build in me subtank  mini in TC

I am really liking it.  My goto build in my NEBOX (same RBA as a Subtank Mini) is This Ni80/Kanthal Clapton I can only fit 5 wraps on a 3mm tool in it.  It comes out to .56 ohms on my NEBOX.  So it is somewhere between .2 and 2 ohms...lol

I really like this with my juice.  It is a flavor maker.  The only thing I don't like is the RBA just doesn't have as much airflow as the factory coils.

27 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Its all your fault Cany, now I'm thinking about ordering some Clapton wire. So far the only Clapton coil I tried was the factory Kanger .5 Clapton coil, and was not impressed with it.

To be honest, I am not sure how much better it is than standard Kanthal.  I have gone from Ni200 to Ti01 then to 316SS and have settled with the Claptons for a while.  I tried a few contact coils with the SS316 Claptons with pretty poor results.  I will try some spaced coils when I get back home, as I think I was getting hot spots with the contact coils.

I always use spaced coils, usually in my kanger RBAs I use 5 wraps around 3mm with 28g 316, and get .49 - .52 ohms. One of my builds I'm using 2 strands of twisted 30g 316, and getting .46 ohms. I don't notice much difference if any. I might end up ordering some SS Clapton wire, but not committed yet.

15 minutes ago, FXRich said:

I always use spaced coils, usually in my kanger RBAs I use 5 wraps around 3mm with 28g 316, and get .49 - .52 ohms. One of my builds I'm using 2 strands of twisted 30g 316, and getting .46 ohms. I don't notice much difference if any. I might end up ordering some SS Clapton wire, but not committed yet.

I should have remembered that really Kanthal/Ni80 is about the only wire that can easily be used contact. When I got my SS-Clapoton wire in I didn't even think about it.  I was just in a hurry to try it so I built up 2 RBAs with it.  The first one worked great for about a day.  It then developed a burnt flavor with every hit.  I assumed I had burnt the cotton due to poor wicking.  When I pulled it apart, there was no burnt spots and the wicking was fine...  I put the other coil in there and it did the same thing within hours.  I only had a factory Ni200 coil with me as a backup so I switched to that.

It wasn't until this thread that I realized I made them contact so they probably had numerous hotspots...