Wisdom Teeth Removal - How bad is it going to be?

Hey Folks, 

So I'm really fortunate that for 31 years strong, I've never had a cavity. Woot woot (go drinking tons of milk). But this past week I visited the dentist and he mentioned I have a small cavity on my wisdom tooth. While he said it's not a huge deal, he suggested I have them finally removed as they're causing my teeth to become tight which may lead to cavities. (The thought apparently, is that as the wisdom teeth come in, your teeth become tight making it harder to clean in between..) 

I have two wisdom teeth showing and two hidden. I opted to remove only the teeth that are showing. (I was actually never going to get them removed as it's not bother me, they came in straight and my teeth look ok) I've never had dental work done (outside of cleaning every 12-24 months) So how much is this going to suck? I've got some rock solid teeth, apparently we have to crack them. It sounds...like fun. 

I've heard everything from no pain to, horrible pain afterwards and dry socket from smoking/vaping. 

After my wisdom teeth were removed, there was some ache but nothing too awful... until I got a dry socket (probably from when I was taking a drag from a cigarette). That was by far the worst pain I've ever felt. You want to do everything you can to avoid a dry socket. Try not to suck on... anything, no straws, no drags on a tight vape (go with a very airy high air flow tank if you must vape after). You should be fine.

The oral surgeon had to take a drill to mine to break them into four pieces. Then, because my wisdom teeth refused to cooperate, he had to be very unorthodox and straddled me on the chair in order to get the right angle in order to get them out. Apparently, my roots were shaped like fish hooks, which is why they wouldn't come out easily. This type of thing is common in Asian teeth but not so common in Euro-western Caucasians.  

Good luck~!

@Christopher

I was in an accident and have to have a bunch of teeth removed when my jaw was shattered, it's not fun but it doesn't have to be horrible. Before you have it done go to a health food store and get some oil of clove (pure) It contains eugenol which works wonderfully if you happen to get a dry socket or have pain but be warned it tastes horrible. Just put it on a small bit of cotton and tuck it into the socket. Even if you don't need it it's good to have on hand for a toothache. It's what the dentists use for dry sockets but without the RX.

The tricks are don't suck on anything like a straw or driptip until you form a good clot and stay away from any hard  or pointy foods like triscuit crackers  that small bits can get under the clot.

I hope you have a easy time of it but having the eugenol on hand is like car insurance you hate spending money on it until you need it then you're glad you did.

3 hours ago, Tam said:

Apparently, my roots were shaped like fish hooks, which is why they wouldn't come out easily. This type of thing is common in Asian teeth but not so common in Euro-western Caucasians.  

I had a tooth break off at the gum line once (Not a wisdom tooth, I never had any of those buggers in my jaws). After the oral surgeon removed the root he said I had one of those lovely fish hook roots.

@Christopherto some degree,  the post-op pain will depend on your pain tolerance. If you normally have a high tolerance, it probably won't be too bad. If you have a low tolerance, you might want some heavy duty meds! Or take FXRich's advice! But please, don't mix the two together!

I'm a poor example when it comes to having teeth pulled. Years ago I had to have all of mine taken out and continued to smoke and drink from straws. I kept the area covered with cotton that the Dentist gave me and not 1 dry socket. I was unfortunate and was born with no/little enamel on my teeth. Enamel is the natural protection from cavities and other issues. My wisdom teeth were decaying under my gums and had to have all 4 removed the same day. It is not fun and hurt for a few days. The worst pain I had IMO was when the gums started the heal and pulled on the stitches. Xtra Strength OralJel would sooth the pain for a few hours.

I feel for yeah just be very mindful and draw very slow and not hard. Do more of a lung draw than mouth to lung draws. I will add to that coughing is painful so don't try and do long draws.

Edited by Compenstine

Well **** me this sounds like it's going to be horrible lol It wasn't until after I realized the dentist hadn't prepped me for anything. I was planning to drive, have a couple pulled and drive back home. It sounds like I might need someone to come along for the ride. 

I...can't wait!

The dentist only used a local with Novocain when he pulled mine and I drove home on my own afterwords. Unless they're planning to knock you out, in which they'd tell you that you need to bring someone to drive you home, you'll be fine.  :)

Just now, Tam said:

The dentist only used a local with Novocain when he pulled mine and I drove home on my own afterwords. Unless they're planning to knock you out, in which they'd tell you that you need to bring someone to drive you home, you'll be fine.  :)

I had the option for both but I've always been ancy about going under to opted for local instead. 

Just now, Tam said:

I had the option for both but I've always been ancy about going under to opted for local instead.