OTR Mod/tank Suggestions Please

Edna

After being out of work for the last 6 months.... I'm about to start a job where I'm going to be On The Road a lot in my SUV.  I was wondering what mod/tank combos are good for longevity and durability.

I'm going to be getting in and out a lot and I don't have access to a 12V plug though I do have a solar 2amp battery pack with 10000MAH. That  I can always plug into though I prefer to charge my batteries in my Nitecore I4. I have many plastic boxes and silicone sleeves for batteries so I can carry spares. (no blow ups here ;) )

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Well, you know... it was you who got me to buy an Eleaf iPower 80W TC (5000 mAh). The more I use it, the more I'm wishing all of my back up iStick 50W (4400 mAh) were the iPowers instead. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, I just prefer the iPower a bit more these days. They've both worked well for me and the charge lasts for days of even heavy chain vaping.

As for tanks, the ones you've been using should be fine with a little care. Put a foam can cozy into your cup holder to put the mod into when you're not using it (don't leave it unattended though), so it doesn't get bumped around too much. 

Congrats on the new job!  :) 

@Tam   LOL I had a feeling that ipower was going to come back to bite me 😁  Actually I was considering it. I was wondering if you think it'll last all day I vape at 30W and 0.3ohm I know you vape around 10W and 1.8 ohms so there's quite a difference in power drain I believe.

That's a great idea with the can cozy, I was thinking of getting one of those mod specific ones but they're $20 and I'd hate spending the $.

I do have to think about a tank though...Mostly I use an Avocado but I have to refill it alot and if it tips it leaks so that's not good.

I was thinking of maybe a Toptank.. I have one a friends giving me but I'm a direct to lung type so I wonder if it's going to flood like my ijust 2. I tried it with the airflow open and fully closed airflow and everything in between and I couldn't get it to stop flooding even after coil changes. I guess I hit too hard. I looked at the Smoke beast that everyone seems to like but the coils are WAY too expensive and I'm not sure I'll have a lot of rebuilding time in the beginning.

To make a long story short I'm looking for ideas to keep the price reasonable and have a decent draw and long lasting battery.

Oh, Thanks, I'm excited to get back to work...

Edited by Edna

1 minute ago, Tam said:

Well, at 10W and 1.8 ohm battery I only have to charge it once every 4 - 5 days (sometimes 6) so I would think, even at 30W, you'll get a day or three before needing to recharge.  :) 

Good Point Thanks! :)

Yes, 5000mAh should get you a couple days at 30W :)  Or, at least a day if you chain-vape like crazy, lol...   I'd snag two if I were you, so you'd have one to vape while the other is charging... or at least carry a couple of other backups that you can use while the iPower charges.  Personally, I just carry several extra batteries when I travel, swap them as needed, and charge them in the evening (at the hotel). 

You say you don't have a 12V charging plug in your SUV?  That's not a huge issue, as you can easily add in a 2A USB plug (many of them look like factory plugs once installed) for about $10-15 and buy a Nitecore U20 charger... it's like the d2, but connects via USB, rather than standard AC plug (although you can use a AC/USB adapter).  They work best if you have a 2A or higher USB outlet, and are fantastic chargers... I have two, so there is always one in a vehicle or my travel bag.  They're worth every penny of the $15 each I paid for them on Amazon

As for tanks, yes the Toptank mini or the original Subtank mini would be good.  They have good airflow for lung vaping, hold ~ 4ml of juice, the coils are not "expensive", and I've yet to have one leak that wasn't MY fault... left one in a hot car and I failed to fully seat a coil in the base once :(

@Earthling789

Do you think the solar battery pack that has a USB and 10000mah would work with that charger? I'm not so handy with installing plugs I do have an inverter that I can hook up directly to the battery and run it into the car and it has usb but I'm not sure about the amps on it.

4 minutes ago, Edna said:

@Earthling789

Do you think the solar battery pack that has a USB and 10000mah would work with that charger? I'm not so handy with installing plugs I do have an inverter that I can hook up directly to the battery and run it into the car and it has usb but I'm not sure about the amps on it.

The solar charger would work, but it would be slow, and would rely on "good sun" to be effective.  A cloudy day and you're not going to get any love from it.  The inverter should work WELL.  I have a small one (that plugs into the 12V power port) which I've used to power my laptop and it does that just fine, so it should be able to provide ample power... my only concern is when you say "hook to the battery"... if it is one that uses clamps, that will not be safe/secure enough to use when driving.  If it has screw-posts or a way to secure it directly/permanently to the battery, that would be better, but I would make sure it has a way to cut the power (switch of some sort, inline or on the inverter) to be able to turn it off so it won't drain your battery when you're not actually running the engine :)

1 minute ago, Earthling789 said:

The solar charger would work, but it would be slow, and would rely on "good sun" to be effective.  A cloudy day and you're not going to get any love from it.  The inverter should work WELL.  I have a small one (that plugs into the 12V power port) which I've used to power my laptop and it does that just fine, so it should be able to provide ample power... my only concern is when you say "hook to the battery"... if it is one that uses clamps, that will not be safe/secure enough to use when driving.  If it has screw-posts or a way to secure it directly/permanently to the battery, that would be better, but I would make sure it has a way to cut the power (switch of some sort, inline or on the inverter) to be able to turn it off so it won't drain your battery when you're not actually running the engine :)

@Earthling789

Yes. it has screw posts I've used it on extended dry camping/hunting trips. It also has an inline fuse and cut-off so I can turn it on and off.

I think that's what I'll hook up until I get through a few paychecks :)  Thanks a lot.

I just looked at that charger and it's the one I gave to my son when I bought him a mod to try and get him off analogs (results still pending) and I went to the 4 slot one....Rats...looks like I'll have to buy another one .....

Our car has 4 power plugs, but I don't use them for charging batteries. I use a nitecore UM10 that I plug into a USB port built into the stereo system, why its there I have no idea, but that's how I charge my batteries in the car. Some SUVs have a power port in the very back, you may want to check your owners manual. 

9 hours ago, Edna said:

What do you all think about the Kangertech NEBOX? I was looking around online and the thought of an all-in-one with changeable battery is appealing

I use a NEBOX as my daily driver, and have since it came out.  (I am not really sure if I recommend it though).  It has terrible TC, so I run mine in wattage mode with the RBA.  It holds 10 ml but has been known to leak. If the tank get too low, or orings are not sealing.  The RBA also has to be wicked correctly, or it will leak too.  It also has no airflow adjustment. I vape at 25 - 30 watts and one tank and one battery lasts nearly all day.

I drive for a living too.  I carry 4 charged batteries, plus the one in the mod.  I also carry a charger and spare batteries with me.  I have never had to use it.  I have charged batteries in the motel at night.

10 hours ago, Edna said:

What do you all think about the Kangertech NEBOX? I was looking around online and the thought of an all-in-one with changeable battery is appealing

An alternative to the NEBox is the Cupti.  Its similar to the Nebox, but only holds 5ml compared to the 10ml the Nebox tank holds, and it has a replaceable glass tank instead of a plastic tank. The only drawback is it uses CLOCC coils, but there is a RBA available for it.

You said you may be getting a Toptank, and was concerned about leaking. I am currently using 2 Toptanks and have no leaking issues, and I never close the air when not in use.

Thank you all for the great advice!

I went to my local B&M where I had enough points for a free mod and got a Cupti and a box of coils.

I also have the toptank coming from my friend so I'm going to give them both a trial run and see which works better.

My B&M has a 15 day unconditional return policy so I can return the Cupti if I don't like it and pick something else. I was going to use the points on a Releaux 2/3 but I figured if I'm working again I can buy one here on VT with a paycheck :)

Now, to find the RBA for the Cupti ....anyone know some place that has one? Maybe @Christopher can find it through his people? I'd be happy to give VT the $$$

Thanks @FXRich you gave me the idea to look on the Stereo and  there's a usb plug built in :) so I ordered the charger for the car ...

Edited by Edna

The info on the CUPTI I got from SV, it is possible the RBA hasn't been released yet, you will have to let us know how it works out for you, so the rest of us will know if its worth buying. I finally looked in the owners manual to see what the USB plug is for, the only reason it is there that I found is its to update the navigation system.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

The info on the CUPTI I got from SV, it is possible the RBA hasn't been released yet, you will have to let us know how it works out for you, so the rest of us will know if its worth buying. I finally looked in the owners manual to see what the USB plug is for, the only reason it is there that I found is its to update the navigation system.

I haven't used it yet but when I do I'll write a review. Though,  I'll have to say I really like the size of it.

Most USB ports built into cars are only .5 amp in my experience.  When I was a traveling service tech my work truck only had 1 USB port and 1 12v socket. I got a 12V spliter that ft in the cup holder, and a Stallion 4 port USB adapter. The USB adapter puts out 2.1 amps per port, unlike most multiple port adapters that will pout out 2 amps total. I still use the USB adapter in my personal truck. Charges 3 phones and leaves a port open to charge the Wife's iStick or run my nitecore UM-20 for my 18650s.

46 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Is it the Cupti, or the Cupti2? The Cupti2 is the same except it needs 2 batteries instead of just 1.

I got the plain Cupti (in red.) They didn't have the Cupti 2, but I think with the 5ml tank it should be enough for my day but if not it's a top fill so It'll be easy to take a small bottle of juice with me. I usually carry an extra battery with me usually when I take my pico out and about, so it's going to fit right into my routine I think. It's about as wide as the pico and as tall as the dripbox I put in a standard battery box for reference

01 cupti.JPG

Edited by Edna
add picture