temp control. lessons learned.

hicksvilleshick

Rosewood....nice.  Now there's something I'm used to grabbing.  Very nice.

SMOK says it's Brazilian Zebrawood. Nice looking either way though.

Sent from my heart using the Vapor Talk App. OK...OK...I'm kidding. I have no heart. But I did use the Vapor Talk Mobile App.

I've also found that the rda doesn't like my juice mix. I run 20pg/80vg for my tanks but found flavor and production to be lacking when running that mix in the dripper. But it loves the 35/65 mix of the vapor tall black label juice, so I picked up some 40/60 today and it loves that too.

Not much temp control about this one more an rda thing, but something no one ever told me. Lol

Edited by hicksvilleshick

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FXRich said:

I only know of 2 mods that can use Nichrome in TC, and they are the Hohm Slice, and some of the Kanger TC mods, there may be others, but not very many.

The eleaf pico can do NI in TC and  I believe that the ipower and 60W can too :)

3 hours ago, Edna said:

The eleaf pico can do NI in TC and  I believe that the ipower and 60W can too

There is a difference between Ni200, and Nichrome 80, Ni200 which is used for TC is pure nickel, Nichrome 80 is 80% nickel, which normally can't be used for TC. Nichrome only changes resistance by about 2% between 68f and 400f, (read that somewhere, can't remember where) which means a .5 Nichrome coil changes by .01 ohm between 68f and 400f. If someone is using a .25 coil the change is only .005 Ni200 resistance changes by about 50% during the same temp change, so a .15 Ni200 coil will change by .075 ohm, its a lot easier to measure a .075 change than it is to measure a .01 change.

I got a lot of the info from Steam.

I hope I have not confused anybody.

Some Kanger TC mods have 4 settings Ni (Ni200) Ti (Titanium) SS (stainless Steel), and NiCr (Nichrome 80).

My bad Ni 200 actually doubles in resistance between 68f and 400f.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

There is a difference between Ni200, and Nichrome 80, Ni200 which is used for TC is pure nickel, Nichrome 80 is 80% nickel, which normally can't be used for TC. Nichrome only changes resistance by about 2% between 68f and 400f, (read that somewhere, can't remember where) which means a .5 Nichrome coil changes by .01 ohm between 68f and 400f. If someone is using a .25 coil the change is only .005 Ni200 resistance changes by about 50% during the same temp change, so a .15 Ni200 coil will change by .075 ohm, its a lot easier to measure a .075 change than it is to measure a .01 change.

I got a lot of the info from Steam.

I hope I have not confused anybody.

Some Kanger TC mods have 4 settings Ni (Ni200) Ti (Titanium) SS (stainless Steel), and NiCr (Nichrome 80).

My bad Ni 200 actually doubles in resistance between 68f and 400f.

This is why I stick with wattage...I'm confused now    :cry:

Jason could probably explain it better than me, but TC is based on TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance). Metal changes resistance when heated, some change more than others. TC measures the amount of resistance change, and determines the temperature based on how much the resistance changes. TC assumes the coil resistance when locked in as being 68f. As an example at 392f Ni200 increases resistance 108%, Ti 66%, SS316 17%, NiCr 2%, and kanthal .04%. As you can see Kanthal doesn't change enough for it to be used for TC, and NiCr (Nichrome) changes a very small amount, but some mods can measure it. That is why it is so important to chose the correct mode when using TC. The newer mods are more sensitive to resistance changes than last years mods. I have read that the Hohm Slice can detect changes in Kanthal, but don't know for sure. I have used Kanger mods with the NiCr (Nichrome) TC setting, and it does work.

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

Jason could probably explain it better than me, but TC is based on TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance). Metal changes resistance when heated, some change more than others. TC measures the amount of resistance change, and determines the temperature based on how much the resistance changes. TC assumes the coil resistance when locked in as being 68f. As an example at 392f Ni200 increases resistance 108%, Ti 66%, SS316 17%, NiCr 2%, and kanthal .04%. As you can see Kanthal doesn't change enough for it to be used for TC, and NiCr (Nichrome) changes a very small amount, but some mods can measure it. That is why it is so important to chose the correct mode when using TC. The newer mods are more sensitive to resistance changes than last years mods. I have read that the Hohm Slice can detect changes in Kanthal, but don't know for sure. I have used Kanger mods with the NiCr (Nichrome) TC setting, and it does work.

:sofa:   @FXRich  now you're scaring me.... LOL