Recommendations for Gma (and me!)

mmseng

Hi folks, I've been vaping for over a decade now, but I'm a very off-the-scene kind of vaper. I find a reliable solution and stick with it until I can't anymore. So I'm hoping the more active people can help me out in this new era.

For the moment I'm using Vision Spinner and eGo CTwist batteries, along with 510 e-Smart clear-tanks. For perspective, I bought 6 Spinners and 6 CTwists 18 months ago. Amazingly, I'm still using 4 of the 6 Spinners with no performance problems and haven't touched the CTwists yet. I'm perfectly content to stick with these batteries as long as I can find them, but any alternate recommendations are welcome.

However I'm looking for a better tank or all-in-one solution. The e-Smart tanks work alright for me, but they are not easy to fill using the squeeze bottles that I mix my liquid into. Using a bottle with a skinnier tip would make it easier, but 100% VG liquids don't work well with small tips.

Moreover, I'm looking to help put together a new solution for my grandmother. ecigs helped her quit smoking and now she vapes with the best of them. But she has no idea about hardware, and has mild Parkinson's, which would make it nearly impossible for her to fill ANY tank. She's been using cartomizers and nothing else.

So my primary concern here is finding a modern solution for Gma that is 1) reliable, long-lasting, and very low maintenance, 2) good battery life, 3) safe (battery and e-liquid safety), and 4) is extremely easy to fill, or uses some sort of pre-filled container.

Any leads to types, brands, models is very appreciated. I can always do more research once I find a general form-factor that is suitable. But the vast array of hardware out there is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks a lot for your time and input,

== Matt

You'll probably get more recommendations than you'll know what to do with, it all depends on what works best for you:) 

The Eleaf iPower 80W TC mod can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. It has a built in 5000 mAh battery so I only have to charge it once every 4 - 6 days depending on how heavily I'm vaping.

https://www.vaportalk.com/us/product/eleaf-ipower-80w-tc-mod-silver/

The Vapor Talk store has them for $36 each and no shipping costs. If it were my grandmother, I'd set it at wattage mode, get the watts set up for the tank, coil resistance and juice she'll be using and then set the lock on it so it won't change the settings. After that, you only have the power button and the five clicks on/off function working.

I love the iPower and use it a lot. My main go to mod before this was the Eleaf iStick 50W (4400 mAh), but some people have had issues with this one so it's not as trouble-free as the iPower. I still love my Vision Spinner 1600 mAh for on the go, it's a good workhorse!

As for tanks... I'll let everyone else chime in.  :) 

Hi,

Welcome to Vapor Talk!

I was thinking that maybe for your Grandma that the Joye eGo AIO might be a good fit. I got one locally for my  neighbor who also has bad dexterity problems because of RA and it works great for him.  He can fill it easily and it's quite safe.

here's a link: https://www.vaportalk.com/us/product/joye-ego-aio-starter-kit-silver/

What's nice about it is it's a top fill and easy to use.  The coils last quite a long time it seems based on my helping change out John's. It's got a nice draw and there's only one button to mess with (the fire button) and the battery lasts quite a while. I'd maybe get 2 since they're inexpensive that way one is always charged.

There's also this one that has basically the same set up but with nicer colors  https://www.vaportalk.com/us/product/joye-ego-aio-d16-starter-kit/

I hope I've helped a little.

15 hours ago, Tam said:

You'll probably get more recommendations than you'll know what to do with, it all depends on what works best for you:) 

The Eleaf ipower 80W TC mod can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. It has a built in 5000 mAh battery so I only have to charge it once every 4 - 6 days depending on how heavily I'm vaping.

https://www.vaportalk.com/us/product/eleaf-ipower-80w-tc-mod-silver/

The Vapor Talk store has them for $36 each and no shipping costs. If it were my grandmother, I'd set it at wattage mode, get the watts set up for the tank, coil resistance and juice she'll be using and then set the lock on it so it won't change the settings. After that, you only have the power button and the five clicks on/off function working.

I love the ipower and use it a lot. My main go to mod before this was the Eleaf istick 50W (4400 mAh), but some people have had issues with this one so it's not as trouble-free as the ipower. I still love my Vision Spinner 1600 mAh for on the go, it's a good workhorse!

As for tanks... I'll let everyone else chime in.  :) 

Be aware, if your Gma has Parkinsons, you may get a lot of calls about her accidentally turning it off, depending on how sensitive it is with clicks.  I know when I'm having my normal tremors (I have MS) on my SVD I would accidentally hit the three click lock so that it wouldn't vape (handy for purse carrying).  The cartomizers she's been using, are those the modern cartos, or the prefilled cartos, like with cigalikes?  I'm glad that vaping has helped her quit.  My father tried it for a few days, but the starter stuff did not give him enough to keep him with it (and considering his lung issues, his heart issues, and his diabetes, he really needs to quit at 72 years old).

A question about your signature - I looked it up, and came up with 90 mg of nicotine as fatal for adults?  Could different sources be responsible for this?

Good point about the click-locks I'll keep it in mind, I think as long as she's aware of it, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but we'll see. I don't actually remember exactly what she uses for cartos right now, but the last I remember they were the old original Joye 510 cigalike cartos. I could never stand them, (or any carto) but apparently they work for her.

If whatever modern battery solution I settle on is 510 compatible then I will probably let well enough alone and she can keep using what works, but I'm keeping my options open in case that's not plausible. Seems like built-in or device-specific tanks are pretty common with a lot of modern units these days.

As for the sig, different sources are likely the case. I seem to recall that I looked a few different sources and went with the most conservative numbers for the purposes of the subsequent math.

Thanks,

== Matt

11 hours ago, spydre said:

Be aware, if your Gma has Parkinsons, you may get a lot of calls about her accidentally turning it off, depending on how sensitive it is with clicks. 

Both the iStick 50W and the iPower 80W TC have very clicky buttons. You have to consciously push on the buttons to make it work, just a random twitch won't do it. While it's not a hard button, it's also not one that's very soft, you definitely know when you push it. Grandma's safe with it.  :)