Unwell crown 2 question-help!

I have the. 5 ohm kanthal coils,what wattage do those max out at?I don't have the money to burn through coils like water,and I couldn't find the info,so I thought I would go to the experts....you guys!also any tips/tricks for the crown 2 coils would be appreciated!I burnt out the first coil in twenty minutes,it was the .25 stainless....I didn't push it above eighty.help!

Edited by Foofightervapegirl

I've not had this problem, either running in TC or wattage, I just run through batteries on my Cool Fire IV tc while I'm wattage mode.  Granted, I'm not cranking it up to 80 watts, I'm at just over 40, but I'm using the .25 that came with it.  I would imagine the .5 ohm coils last longer, but from what I've heard, the .8 ohm last even longer, have great vapor, and use less juice as well.  Where did you find kanthal coils for it, though?  The .5 I've seen were stainless.  @Christopher, lil help here since you are a vendor and know what is what and what is sold?

Tell me, do you have an issue with your Crown 2 leaking when your mod or the tank is tipped?  It's a problem I'm having, and (see my post at http://www.vaportalk.com/forum/topic/30314-crown-2-leaking-first-impressions-and-a-question/ ) and I don't know how to stop it - to the point that it's almost made me want to change tanks, but I love this tank because of it's capacity.

The leaking issue.anytime it is not in use close the airflow valve all the way.I have not had a problem...yet.also I would imagine because of the design of the coil,it is easily flooded,I would try wiping the bottom of the coil where it makes contact off,every time you fill your tank.I was experimenting with higher wattage,I had never tried it before,lol.the.5's I got I believe are kanthal,I got them here @christopher  please correct me if I am wrong.I am on the waiting list to order some more.I am no longer having an issue,the coils just took a bit of babying,priming,soaking ten minutes,starting at low wattage then working my way up.I am at 65 watts currently and loving it!

Edited by Foofightervapegirl

If it's coil based they do "max" out at a certain point but what exactly is dependant on the device/coil/other aspects. What wattage are you running them out? So for example let's take my setup at the moment. I'm using an iStick 40w with a Nautilus Tank and 1.8 ohm coils. There are a couple of things I have to do to keep my coils long lasting (in my experience) 

1. The Nautilus coils have some large holes at the bottom. Though I may still have say 1ml of eliquid left in my tank, I need to fill it at this point because otherwise the coil can't pull in enough liquid. This causes it to run dry. And while it might not "burn out" it will taste horrible. Basically the coil becomes useless. This is the same for any tank, keep it filled as often as possible. Running low on e liquid is never a good thing. I'm not sure off hand with the crown coils/tank but each tank has a similar happy level. 

2. Wattage - I run my device around 9 watts in the morning and 10 +- in the evening. I could crank it up to 40watts but the coils would completely die on me. Basically, at least for me, I noticed these coils don't run well above 11 watts max. It starts tasting burnt so I know that's the limit. Your coils will have a similar limit, start low and move up slowly until you find the max wattage they can handle (There is probably a mathematical equation for this but, cranking up slowly works the same) If you're running them above spec they're going to die out. But, if you find that sweet spot (for me again it's around 10 watts) a single coil will normally last me a solid week. I can easily go longer (2 weeks no problem) but I find the coil just doesn't perform as well and gets a bit "stiff" over time. It's not that I have to toss it, I just prefer to change them out every 7-10 days +-. 

Edit: oh by the way, 0.5 ohms should be run around 20-40 tops. (Again find that sweet spot for your particular coil) 

4 minutes ago, Christopher said:

If it's coil based they do "max" out at a certain point but what exactly is dependant on the device/coil/other aspects. What wattage are you running them out? So for example let's take my setup at the moment. I'm using an istick 40w with a Nautilus Tank and 1.8 ohm coils. There are a couple of things I have to do to keep my coils long lasting (in my experience) 

1. The Nautilus coils have some large holes at the bottom. Though I may still have say 1ml of eliquid left in my tank, I need to fill it at this point because otherwise the coil can't pull in enough liquid. This causes it to run dry. And while it might not "burn out" it will taste horrible. Basically the coil becomes useless. This is the same for any tank, keep it filled as often as possible. Running low on e liquid is never a good thing. I'm not sure off hand with the crown coils/tank but each tank has a similar happy level. 

That's the truth.  When my nautilus tanks got low, not only would they start thinly leaking IF laid down, but the hits would be very thin on juice.  I just got in the habit of filling half way through the tank to make sure it didn't happen.  With the coils on the Crown 2, you're looking at organic cotton, so burning the cotton with dry hits or scorching it is a possibility.

1. Wattage - I run my device around 9 watts in the morning and 10 +- in the evening. I could crank it up to 40watts but the coils would completely die on me. Basically, at least for me, I noticed these coils don't run well above 11 watts max. It starts tasting burnt so I know that's the limit. Your coils will have a similar limit, start low and move up slowly until you find the max wattage they can handle (There is probably a mathematical equation for this but, cranking up slowly works the same) If you're running them above spec they're going to die out. But, if you find that sweet spot (for me again it's around 10 watts) a single coil will normally last me a solid week. I can easily go longer (2 weeks no problem) but I find the coil just doesn't perform as well and gets a bit "stiff" over time. It's not that I have to toss it, I just prefer to change them out every 7-10 days +-. 

I was able to get one flavor up to 13 - 14 1/2 watts, and one flavor up close to 20, but I think it was very flavor specific on how much heat they could take.  I tried a couple other flavors and would start them out low, and they burned pretty quickly - about 10.

Air flow is going to make a BIG difference in the amount of watts you can pull through a tank with higher power applied.  My ProTanks I couldn't put that much power through anymore - I'm talking down to 6 watts - but the Kanger ramped it up.  Even my Aero tank I couldn't really pull the power up - still not enough air flow.

With my Crown 2, right now, today that is, I'm running it at 35 watts.  That's what I can deal with today.  Tomorrow I may want more, or less.  But today it's not burning my lips off and the taste is still good.  I keep my airflow running wide open - both on this and on my Nautilus.

Well I tried 20 watts and got absolutely no flavor.it took cranking it up to 42.5 and partially closing the airflow to please me. Will keep experimenting, may be running the stainless coil in tc mode at lower wattage will help,but hey,I'm always down for an adventure! Thank you for all the help,you wise,wise people!

Now about that burnt lip,if you are in love with the drip tip other than it being metal,I would check out the vaportalk store for a replacement Delrin tip that is similar.all my tips from my nebox,and toptank mini fit,I just preferred the one it came with,but I have not had had my lip burnt!I think as long as the tip fits a 510 threaded tank,you will be okay.if you have a local vape shop,I think mine sells them for 2.50 and has a wide selection.now I must correct myself,lol the coils I bought here WERE stainless.happy vaping!

My husband had a delrin drip tip that he gave me.  We were supposed to go out this weekend to look at more, but didn't have time, and this one suits me just fine - it's narrower, and longer than the other delrin drip tip I have, so it feels more natural, and it's easier for me to keep the inside of my upper lip off it without tipping it to an angle that would cause the tank to leak, lol.

1 minute ago, spydre said:

My husband had a delrin Drip Tip that he gave me.  We were supposed to go out this weekend to look at more, but didn't have time, and this one suits me just fine - it's narrower, and longer than the other delrin Drip Tip I have, so it feels more natural, and it's easier for me to keep the inside of my upper lip off it without tipping it to an angle that would cause the tank to leak, lol.

Good deal!!!