Charging Batteries

ddavelarsen

One thing I've been wondering about is whether it might shorten a battery's life to recharge it too soon? In the 'olden days' rechargeable batteries would set a "memory" at the recharge level, and if one recharged before the battery was completely drained, you'd be stuck with only a partial power level forevermore. Later they came up with "smart chargers" that would drain a battery before recharging it.

Does that apply to Li-ion batts? Hope not. whistle.gif

I have been reading up on Li-ion batts to find an alternative source for them and have learned there is no memory effect, but fully discharging or over charging will kill the battery. That is the reason for the "Protected" batteries sold with various units. They stop working before being fully discharged. Haven't been able to find a source for the protected 10440 batts other than here at VT & dietsmokes. I'm assuming the 510's,901's, etc. are protected.Just make sure all contacts are clean and you should have no problem.

Li-ion do not have a memory effect. However if you discharge or for that matter charge them to fast they will explode. This happed to someone over on ECF with a 5 volt mod. She was using Li-ion unprotected batteries, the atomizer was pulling to much amperage and the batter go boom!

When using mods it's always a good idea to use protected batteries to prevent this from happening. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst as they say. :)

Thanks some more, gents. I'm really glad that I don't risk shortening my battery's -- what, volume? -- by charging too soon in the eternal quest for that ultimate throat hit. Battery technology has come a long way; can't wait to see what the future will bring.

Ah the Li Po battery... This bad boy will show up in the Joker soon to be released in the Vapor Talk Store ;) LiPos don't develop memory or voltage depression characteristics like Ni-Cds either so you can charge them without the worry of cycling or discharging them. Like Li Ion you should store LiPos at least partially charged. LiPos will maintain their performance levels over time, even during non-use, much better than Ni-Cds. They are also very stable so overcharge and explosion isn't quite a worry like the Li Ion. :)

I have a couple electric RC helis that run on Li-Po batts. I'll second that they don't have a memory issue but I have read that overcharging them can risk fire or explosion and that discharging them too far can kill them. These are kind of old though (in technology years) so perhaps Li-Po have since incorporated safety like Li-ion protected batts. I haven't messed with them for a couple of years and have no clue what the battery tech is like these days.