A Few Questions.

Bax

Hey all. I have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind.

I'm in the process of quitting smoking, yet again. I quit cold turkey in 2011, and for some insane reason I started again in fall of 2014. For the last few months I've given vaping serious consideration to help get me off the smokes. This past Monday I took the first step and visited the Vape Shop down the street from me. Spent a while talking to the guy there and after finding a good tobacco flavored juice, and another 15 minutes of the guy trying to sell me SubOhm tanks and different variable box Mods, I ended up going with a Kanger EVOD. I wanted something simple, and that's all they had that was simple.

Been using the EVOD with no issues. However, I'm not thrilled with the amount of vapor or lack thereof, nor the harshness of the hits. It's partially my fault for going with 18mg Nic in the juice. But upon inspecting the bottle, they mixed it up as 75pg/25vg. I'm tolerating it for the time being, taking real quick hits. But I've already out grown the EVOD. So after reading numerous reviews and watching countless videos I've ordered myself a couple Innokin Endura T18s. I liked that it gives good flavor, but is still suited for beginners who mouth to lung hit, which is most definitely me.

So I'm wondering if 50/50 would fill the bill, or should I go 70vg/30pg to start and go from there? I'm also planning on cutting the Nic down to 12mg. I'm only smoking one cig per day when I first wake up, and once the rest of this pack is gone I'm done with them. So it's time to start cutting down on the Nic I vape as well. I know for sure that I DO NOT want to go with a real high PG juice again. I want smooth and mild.

Another question... I know I'll eventually want to try "flavored" juice. I'm thinking of trying a pumpkin spice. However, I'm not real big on sweets. So I was wondering if it would work out mixing the pumpkin juice into the tobacco juice that I like? I'm thinking for a start trying to mix one part pumpkin spice to two parts tobacco flavor. I'm hoping  that would provide a subtle taste of pumpkin and a bit of sweetness, but not over power the tobacco. Is that even possible?

I have so much to learn. But on the plus side, I'm almost off the cigs completely!

Good questions interspersed with some solid knowledge! Yes, you can mix your juice flavors. I would suggest you do it in a separate bottle so that you don't wind up with juice that's unvapable. Also, you'll be able to add one of the flavors a little at a time.

You're right that high PG juices will give you a harsher throat hit. If you're not sub-ohming (using sub-ohm coils), then the 18 mg nic should be a good starting point for you while you get back off the cigarettes. If you like the flavor, you can just purchase a lower mg juice in the same flavor (or 0 nic) and mix your original juice lower. You can also get a higher VG in the same flavor to lower the PG level. Just a thought.  :)

As for your EVOD, it's a great back up, especially for portability. I still have several Vision Spinners that I use just for those reasons even after vaping for over four years.  :) 

Most people who start with a tobacco flavor quickly switch to another flavor. There are so many to choose from that are not sweet. Box mods and subtanks can be used for MTL hits, it all depends on the resistance of coil you use. A small step up from the Evod would be a Subvod with 1.2 coils for MTL hits, lots of vapor and good flavor. 70PG/30VG would be good for someone who likes a lot of throat hit, but the way it sounds to me you would be better off with a 30PG/70VG juice. I started with a KPT2 mini and a ego battery, but now use box mods and subtanks, if you stay at it long enough you will get shinyitus and get better hardware.

My 2 cents - 

50/50 is a good middle of the road mixture and will work in just about any device.

mix your tobacco with cherry, peach, or maple.

if you're not big on sweets like candy flavors then you will probably enjoy coffees, coffee mixes, Caramels, maples, vanillas and bakery type flavors.  

Play with your nic levels to get the throat hit you want.  Probably 12 ish to start.

Thanks for the replies.

I do believe that I will start at 70vg/30pg when I get the T18. I'd much rather start low and work my way up to something I like than going full tilt nut job with something higher and have to trash it or cut it with a lower ratio juice. I'll have to find some good coffee flavored juices. That would go a long way toward helping me cut back on the coffee consumption, which the Doc has ordered as well. If only I could find a juice with caffeine and nicotine in it. Does such a thing exist? If so sign me up!!

I was close to getting the SubVOD. I liked the idea of a larger tank and battery. The whole SubOhm thing scared me off of that for the time being, though. Baby steps. I'm sure in a few months I'll be ready to step up to box mods sub tanks and lung hits. But right now I'm in it for my health, not a hobby. Going to keep things simple and not overwhelm myself any more than I already am.

Yes they do have juice with caffeine in it, I mix my own juice and there is liquid caffeine available, but I prefer to stay away from it. One of the juices I vape regularly is a mixture of coffee and cappuccino, no caffeine though. Eventually you will settle on what you like.

56 minutes ago, Bax said:

Thanks for the replies.

I do believe that I will start at 70vg/30pg when I get the T18. I'd much rather start low and work my way up to something I like than going full tilt nut job with something higher and have to trash it or cut it with a lower ratio juice. I'll have to find some good coffee flavored juices. That would go a long way toward helping me cut back on the coffee consumption, which the Doc has ordered as well. If only I could find a juice with caffeine and nicotine in it. Does such a thing exist? If so sign me up!!

I was close to getting the SubVOD. I liked the idea of a larger tank and battery. The whole SubOhm thing scared me off of that for the time being, though. Baby steps. I'm sure in a few months I'll be ready to step up to box mods sub tanks and lung hits. But right now I'm in it for my health, not a hobby. Going to keep things simple and not overwhelm myself any more than I already am.

Like Rich said, there are juices out there with caffeine and nicotine combined but I've never known anyone who vaped it. Personally, when I want a little bit of a pick-me-up, I go with a loose leaf Sencha green tea -- that way I not only get the caffeine, but also lots of good antioxidants as well. Since we don't know what vaporizing and inhaling caffeine can do to our lungs, I'd rather not take the chance.

Baby steps are wonderful! We like it when people take the time to learn (safely) and move slowly so they really get to understand what it is that they're using. Better not to wind up as the next news story about someone setting themselves on fire.  :lol: 

3 hours ago, Bax said:

If only I could find a juice with caffeine and nicotine in it. Does such a thing exist? If so sign me up!!

Yes, they exist, and they are pure hype... yes, you can get caffeine in a vape, but your lungs (and mouth) do not readily absorb caffeine.  In the digestive system, caffeine is absorbed in the 97-99% rate, and hits the bloodstream within 20 minutes (and stays there for an hour or two).  In the lungs, it is absorbed in the 25-45% range, and hits the bloodstream within 5 minutes... but also dissipates SO much faster.  Also, the average cup of coffee or tea provides 200+mg of caffeine per 6-8oz (about 40-60mg/oz).... the avg caffeine vape is under 10mg/oz

A shame about the caffeine in e liquid. Would have been nice, but I don't wanna kill my fool self while in the process of not trying to kill my fool self.

I went back to the vape place down the road after work, and picked up a bunch of small bottles in the following flavors... peanut butter, banana, pumpkin spice, coffee, and tobacco. All at 70vg/30pg, and I lowered the Nic to 15mg this go round. I also picked up a bunch of extra coils for the EVOD. I assume I'll need a fresh coil to switch up flavors, is that correct? 

The tentative plan is to is to try each flavor by itself for a day or so to see if I like it. Then try mixing things up a little by combining the peanut butter and banana into a mix, and the pumpkin spice and coffee in another mix. Those are all things I like in real form, so I'm hoping I'll like them in vape form. Time will tell.

With most of us vapers who have been at it awhile, we just keep multiple tanks with a different flavor in each one. Otherwise, you could take out the current coil, rinse well in hot (not boiling) water, soak in vodka or Everclear overnight, let sit out to air dry then reuse. similar flavors should be okay with the same coil.

I've already been thinking about multiple tanks. Going to wait for the T18s I ordered to arrive and see if they will work for me, then order a couple extra tanks if it goes well. I thought I was going to have a spare tank and battery on hand, but the Wife has already called dibs on the second T18 I ordered. That's a good thing, though. If they work out, I'll probably order a T22(or two) and some extra tanks to keep at home, and use the T18 on the go and at work.

While I currently have no real desire to get into SubOhming and building my own gear, which I could change my mind about in time.  I am very intrigued at the idea of making my own liquids. I've already been watching vids, reading articles, checking out other people's recipes, and online calculators, and pricing bottles, beakers, and mixing stuffs. I think I would really enjoy working up my own twisted potions to try out.

14 hours ago, Bax said:

While I currently have no real desire to get into SubOhming and building my own gear, which I could change my mind about in time.  I am very intrigued at the idea of making my own liquids. I've already been watching vids, reading articles, checking out other people's recipes, and online calculators, and pricing bottles, beakers, and mixing stuffs. I think I would really enjoy working up my own twisted potions to try out.

Compenstine has been a great help teaching me DIY

15 hours ago, Bax said:

DIY liquids is a great way to develop what you like and try many different flavors with very little investment.  One thing I do is start with 5ml batches (no nicotine, which saves $), and try a new mixture... if I don't like it, I can dump it... if I do like it, I can tweak it with different ratios and possibly adding or removing a flavor to change it dramatically.  Once I dial in on a flavor I like, I can add the nicotine,  which does alter the flavor slightly, but you can always tweak it to counteract nicotine.  Oh, and BTW, keep a notebook handy so you can write down your ratios, flavors, and changes.  That way you can reproduce the same flavor over and over and over again, in any quantity you want.

Compenstine is a great resource for DIY, and many of us here DIY and can offer tips and tricks, too :)

BTW, getting started in DIY is not very expensive... VG, PG, Nicotine, a few flavorings, glass or plastic bottles, a few syringes or pipettes for measuring ingredients, and a beaker or two (or medium-sized Pyrex mixing/measuring cups) is all you need to get started.  You don't need a full chemistry set or lab... I started out on my kitchen table using a couple Pyrex measuring/mixing cups and three syringes... although NOW I have a small lab :)

6 hours ago, Compenstine said:

I recommend at least graduated cylinders and syringes. Pipettes suck for measuring, but can come in handy for adding small amounts to graduated cylinders. Just my 2 cents. :D

True point, Comp... graduated cylinders are great for mixing anything larger than a 30ml bottle, but when mixing small batches (5-30ml) I rarely use my graduated cylinders and just measure straight into the bottle, using 1ml, 3ml, 5ml. 10ml, and/or 20ml syringes.  I opted for a larger assortment of syringes so I could measure VG/PG/Nicotine "in one pull"... nothing worse than trying to count out 18ml of VG (for a 30ml bottle), using a 3ml syringe, and getting interrupted by the phone ringing... and trying to remember "was that 12 or 15 ml I just put in the bottle?" after you get off the phone, lol

Agreed, pipettes aren't ideal for accurate measuring, but they are cheap (can get 100+ for a couple bucks), and do a good job of topping-off a graduated cylinder or for counting drops (on those really small batches).  They're disposable, too... so that makes them a winner in my book... less things to wash/dry when I'm done mixing :D

I have a simple way of mixing 30ml bottles, I use a 30ml syringe, I cap the needle and use the syringe to measure everything. I remove the plunger hold it needle end down, and use it to measure everything, putting the Vg first, and add every thing to it, a 30ml syringe is incremented in 1ml marks, it may not be the most accurate way to do it, but it works for me. I only have 1 syringe to clean afterwards also. I also have 10ml, and 20ml syringes that I use the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2016 at 1:21 PM, Compenstine said:

I recommend at least graduated cylinders and syringes. Pipettes suck for measuring, but can come in handy for adding small amounts to graduated cylinders. Just my 2 cents. :D

Hi,

I teach homeschool AP chemistry for our homeschool group. You can get "lab" equipment  at Home Science tools really inexpensively here:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/chemistry/

I'm going to be doing DYI ejuice and these folks here have been great in helping.

Good luck

Edna

@Edna  Thanks for the link for glassware and equipment.  Their prices aren't bad on glassware, stands/stirrers/etc seem to be very competitive pricing, and shipping is cheap (if using economy shipping method).  Wizard Labs and Amazon are also inexpensive ways to purchase glassware which are both quality and low-priced.  I usually add in a piece or two of glassware when ordering from Wizard Labs (to bump myself to free shipping levels in my cart), and I've ordered several quality pieces from Amazon... you can't beat 2-day shipping if you're a Prime member :)

@Earthling789 Thanks, I really like dealing with them.(Home science tools) I've had kiddos change their minds last min. and added or taken away stuff from their orders I just call them and they adjust it no problem. They also have great discount/free ship sometimes too coupons if you google it.

I'm looking to get some bulk VG with 6mg nic somewhere and also pg and flavors is wizard labs good?

I'm looking at heartland and the flavor apprentice too that @Compenstine @Bebop recommended. I like the idea of one stop shopping though with good prices. I love chocolate mint flavoring. Does anyone have ideas for me. I'm also going to try building so I'm looking for RTA and RDA tank/dripper suggestions. I started a thread in the correct area for that tho.

@cany

You get the nicotine separate from the pg/vg? i was looking at the VG with the nic already in it and then diluting it with a little pg since it seemed easier to work with and figure out. Which do you recommend?

You may want a nic base with a higher nic percentage, I use 100mg base. When mixing a 30ml bottle of juice if you want a final nic content of 6mg you would need to add 1.8ml of nic base, so a 100ml bottle of 100mg base will go a long way.