What's the Latest on Flying

Flying to Florida in a couple weeks. 

Who's flown recently?  Any changes since I last flew? Last time I just left my case with spare juice and batteries and mods in my backpack carryon amd not problems.

Any news?

The last time I flew was a couple of years ago and I just put my juice into the 1 quart baggie with the rest of the liquids. The mods and such were no big deal. Too much time has passed and I'm sure the rules have changed much since then. Sorry, no help here.  :( 

I have not kept up with any new flight rules.  Just got back from Taiwan 2 mos. ago, and did not encounter any problems. I just packed my 2 mods and RTAs in their original packaging, 8 cells in protective cases, and a 30ml juice in my hand carry.  Bulk juice, spare wicks and coils in my regular luggage.

On my return flight, I forgot to pack my mod, RTA (full of juice), and cells in their respective packaging, but I wasn't even asked about them.  But I may have been just lucky...

6 hours ago, Tam said:

According to the TSA website:  https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Batteries and mods and tanks and such can still be in your carry on (not in checked). I'd also double check with the to and from airports just to be sure of what they allow.

That's what I was hoping.  I've never had any trouble at all.  I know the airlines and personnel are well aware of vaping gear (they must see a lot of it).  No one I've run in to in the past has even given it a second glance.   Jeepers, they make a huge fuss over an open bottle of water.  I mean, sometimes the world makes no sense to me, you know? 

1 hour ago, Bebop said:

That's what I was hoping.  I've never had any trouble at all.  I know the airlines and personnel are well aware of vaping gear (they must see a lot of it).  No one I've run in to in the past has even given it a second glance.   Jeepers, they make a huge fuss over an open bottle of water.  I mean, sometimes the world makes no sense to me, you know? 

The more I see, the less anything makes sense anymore, Bebop. If you read further on the TSA website you'll see all the things that are prohibited to take onto a plane. You've gotta know that some wit tried to bring those things aboard at one time or another for it to be on that list. The one that got my attention is the listing for "hand grenade." Seriously? And they had a problem with my tiny Bic mini lighter back when I was smoking and removed a couple of extra packs of safety matches because it was too many and over their quantity limit?

7 hours ago, Bebop said:

TSA is very inconsistent following their own protocols. Just my observation  in flying an average of 6-8 times/year.  Twice I was waved through without even taking my belt and shoes off., and once I was taken off the security check queue for a cursory pat down ( I did not set off any alarm since I was still in line).

I went to Disneyland in February. I took my spinners and evod tanks. I put them in my back pack. I did disconnect them. I put my bottles of liquid in my cosmetic case and packed it in my luggage to be checked along with the charger and one of the EVOD tanks. Not a peep from anyone about what was in my checked bag and back pack.

10 hours ago, Tam said:

If you read further on the TSA website you'll see all the things that are prohibited to take onto a plane.

If you really read through those regulations, you have to laugh...

• You can't take a bowling pin, but you can carry up to two 16-lb bowling balls in carry-on luggage
  • You can't take a single compressed CO2 cartridge onto a plane, unless you also have an inflatable life-jacket... then you can carry FOUR CO2 cartridges
  • You can't carry ice skates, but you can carry two stainless-steel knitting needles, up to 27" long
  • You can't carry a 1" blade pocket knife, but you can bring 4" pointed-blade scissors
  • You can't carry more than 3.4oz of liquid... unless you label it as "breast milk", then you can carry a gallon of it
  • You can't carry a jar of guacamole, but you can carry up to 40-lb of avocados
  • You can't carry a jar of cherry pie filling, but you can carry TWO cherry pies

I know this doesn't help, but I thought I'd share some of their insanity :)

Plus this bit of fun....

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  I'm happy to report all went well without the slightest hitch. 

The only thing I noticed was how upfront TSA was about it (specifically mentioning eliquid was to be presented for inspection as a liquid) and the flight attendants specifically stating that you could not use ecigs while on the flight. 

I packed my 18650 charger, about 150mils of eliquid, 4 full sub tank minis, and 3 cases of spare 18650's in my backpack.  At the scanner I simply pulled out the case from my backpack (didn't bother opening it) and ran it thru the scanner without incident. On the return trip, I had bought a couple of 30ml bottles of some new flavors that I forgot to put in my case and left them in my carry on and not a peep. 

My conclusion for the time being is that nobody gives a rat's *** about ecig and hardware and it must be way more common now than ever.  Even if regulations go in to effect, I don't think it will affect air travel.  

Incidentally, ecigs are flourishing in Florida. I saw quite a few B&Ms even in the small area I was in and the one I chose to visit was one of the best I've seen.  Well stocked and a well informed staff.  

2 hours ago, Bebop said:

Incidentally, ecigs are flourishing in Florida. I saw quite a few B&Ms even in the small area I was in and the one I chose to visit was one of the best I've seen.  Well stocked and a well informed staff.

I spent the weekend in Washington, came back Monday, they seem to have as many Vape shops as they do Starbucks. The motel didn't allow smoking in the rooms but they did allow vaping. Now if they honored Oregon CWP without stopping to check in with the WSP we might go up there more often.